anyone spotted a pana PD30 yet?

Originally posted by kwangomango
Just got off the phone to empiredirect and they said they have no stock but are expecting them at the end of next week.

Whilst their website claims they have both "In Stock!" :nono:

Are they allowed to mislead like this?

Anyone seen the 36PL35? It's supposed to have the Quintrix SR tube, but none of the fancy new features of the PD30.

I have an email from Panasonic confirming PAL & NTSC Prog scan.

Hi there again folks,

Sorry it took so long, but been very very busy (and still am...).

OK here are some answers, based upon an incoming cable signal and no direct DVD to TV connection since DVD player is still &*#%#% in backorder.

- TV-set has component inputs, as well as 4x scart with S-video and RGB capability (not all of them). Also has audio outputs and virtual Dolby Surround (but you knew that already...)

- it is PAL and NTSC progressive scan capable

- I can't see scrolling bars as mentioned, nor green trails on fast moving objects as mentioned earlier in the post

- it's picture quality is the best I have seen so far, otherwise wouldn't have bought it ;-)

But please keep in mind that this is based on cable signal, so no comment on DVD signal as of yet. As soon as I receive the player I will post the results...

Cheers,

akira70

Hi
Iv just bought the 32" version from robertsons online!

Ill post a full review when it comes.

EmpireDirect just told me that the 36 inch is not due for release until end of the month. The wait is doing my head in. I really hope it turns out to be a good set.

Robertsons said that it would take one to two weeks to arrive.

I got the call today.

Just spoke to someone over the LiveChat system at Techtronics. This is what they said:

..both are showing low stock (<3) and I know they have been selling very well, so I would expect them to be out of stock by now in which case lead time on stock from panasonic UK is 1-2 weeks.

Sounds well iffy to me. Everyone else i have spoken to in the UK says they have not even been released yet!

latest from panasonic mid-end july
seen both 32 & 36 on demo and look just propa bo!

Akira, good to hear your first reaction is positive. When do you expect your DVD player? I have a 963SA myself, so your experience will decide whether I'm going for this TV or not :)

An interesting point worth checking: the PH40 had 4 SCARTs as well, 2 RGB enabled, but SCART 4 (one of two RGBs) would be disabled if the component input was used, therefore losing a SCART RGB.

Hi there folks, me again :)

sr78: It seemed almost impossible to get my hands on this wonderful DVD player the Philips DVD 963SA until I complained @ Philips CS about the appaling availability of player in general, especially the shop in Germany from which I ordered it.... Philips plainly told me: huh? delivery problems ? I can give you an address and phone number where they have it stock ! (Yeah right). But the impossible was made possible :D , and they DID have it in stock (a lot of them) AND it was cheaper than in the e-shop where I ordered it from in the first place :cool: .

So cancelled my first order and then went to buy the player in the other shop along with a (temporary) component cable ( Bandridge Profigold 3 x RCA - 3 x RCA, 5 meters). I had planned to buy a component cable from www.buejeanscable.com in the US (the Belden 7710A together with Canare RCAPs which is supposed to be very very good), but I couldn't wait for the cable to arrive in order to test out the quality of this connection vis-a-vis my Panny....

I guess the following is what you have been waiting for:

Although I have two problems which I will explain a little later and of which I hope one of you guys know the solution (sr78 ??), I can tell you that still the picture quality is WOAW !!! I have connected the DVD to my Panny PD30D through component and thus have a progressive signal, and again the picture as well as sound quality is really excellent !

Now the one of the two problems that I have is the following (keep in mind that I always use PAL region 2 DVD's - up to now at least ;-) :whenever I switch the DVD player into 'unprocessed' by accessing its picture menu and thus have a 525p singal I can see a light white bar appearing at the right hand side of the screen, which is a kind of shadow, not in solid colour, only noticeable when the picture is dark, some dark scenes like the beginning of the LOTR, or SWII AOTC.... Still a bit annoying though, and in tweaking the DVD player settings I could shift the picture a bit (again in the players' picture menu), and most if it is not there anymore, but still a bit.... Anyone know how to resolve this ?
This is not the case when 480p is set, picture is as solid as can be and really breathtaking, no white bar anymore ....
I guess this is not related to the TV-set and merely a flaw of the player (BTW, have firmware version 55804.81.22 _ 7.12.0)

The second problem that I have is (and I believe that this is again related to the player and not the TV) that on some DVD's (Changing Lanes, Babylon 5 series) the (DVD)menu seems to have a color problem. In accessing the DVD menu, pictures with persons on it for instance appear to have a blue face and for instance if you select a special feature like a trailer of the movie, this also appears to have moslty blue in it, as if reds were thrown out. This can be corrected when pressing the stop button on the player, then again pressing the DVD menu button ---> then colors are displayed a OK. Anyone has seen or experienced this before ?

Cheers,

akira70

Akira

Thanks for feedback, but do u have this telly conncted to a SKY BOX and if so what is it like with RGB especially watching the footie? Still no sign of them anywhere so u are lucky.

Mention pic quality with AERIAL and other digital boxes if u can.

gb--

Now the one of the two problems that I have is the following (keep in mind that I always use PAL region 2 DVD's - up to now at least ;-) :whenever I switch the DVD player into 'unprocessed' by accessing its picture menu and thus have a 525p singal I can see a light white bar appearing at the right hand side of the screen, which is a kind of shadow, not in solid colour, only noticeable when the picture is dark, some dark scenes like the beginning of the LOTR, or SWII AOTC.... Still a bit annoying though, and in tweaking the DVD player settings I could shift the picture a bit (again in the players' picture menu), and most if it is not there anymore, but still a bit.... Anyone know how to resolve this ?
This is not the case when 480p is set, picture is as solid as can be and really breathtaking, no white bar anymore ....
I guess this is not related to the TV-set and merely a flaw of the player (BTW, have firmware version 55804.81.22 _ 7.12.0)

Hmm.... I´ve used my 963SA on a JVC HV32D25 with PAL and NTSC progressive, no white bars... I have the same firmware. I´m having a bad feeling about this. Have you been able to test NTSC progressive using a region 1 disc?

@akira70

Hi and many thanks for your review :)...it´s the first I read!!!

So there are white bars again - that are bad news because it seems that the "bar-problems" panasonic had with their "older" models PS20 & PH40 haven´t been solved.

Do you have the white bar if you don`t use PS and watch your DVD`s interlaced???

Thanks

s.

Just spoke with my nearest shop@panasonic dealer - they received a delivery of 32PD30s today, and have had 36s for about a week. Empire and Hi-spek have the 36s in stock, but the 32s are not in yet (Empire already have 70 pre-orders for the 32).

Looks like the shop@panasonic dealers get first shout on the stock. I'm off to have a look this afternoon. Anybody else fancy taking the plunge and answering a million questions?

I've just heard from my local (ish) pana dealer and they've just received a batch of 36" PD30's. He's waxing eloquent about the NTSC prog scan and has promised to set up a pal prog HKDVD25 on Saturday morning. I'll post results later in the day.

Have just got back from the official Panasonic launch in Manchester.

Initial impressions are Very, very good. It is easily the best television I have ever seen, EVER.

The TV was demoed side by side with a 36PL30, but get this, the PD30 was fed a composite signal of the same footage as the PL30s S-video feed.

Among the features shown was the tvs ability to upconvert a composite image to progressive scan (I think), the beer was flowing freely.........

The image quality compared to the PL30 was astounding. REAL blacks for the first time. Real amounts of detail that you honestly wouldn't realise were lacking unless you saw them side by side.

It has a technology that totally locks a still image with no flicker or movement at all like JPEG images or even static backgrounds in programs etc.

AND it all works! For the first time I could not complain about anything shown.

This is the most revolutionary TV I have seen in at least 8 years.

Most of us looked on, slack jawed at the ensuing demonstrations of its capabilities.

I may even buy one myself. Will have to read the specs again when sober to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Cheers, Brock.

Originally posted by brock_landers

AND it all works! For the first time I could not complain about anything shown.

But it has yet to run the gauntlet of the world's most critical TV Buyers - the AV Forums!!!!!!

:D

Hi Brock

In your opinion is the picture quality better than the Tosh Picture Frame 2?

Originally posted by Radiohead
But it has yet to run the gauntlet of the world's most critical TV Buyers - the AV Forums!!!!!!

:D

:laugh: I look forward to hearing the opinion here!!

Very very tempted by this TV. As shallow as it sounds, I prefer the way it looks compared to the PF2!!!

Are there dimensions of the stand anywhere - wonder if there will be space to fit my centre speaker on the first shelf?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom