Anyone sold their DSLR in favour of a mirrorless system?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Moor, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Moor

Moor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I am thinking about it quite seriously. I have a Canon 50D and an Olympus E-P3 and I love the pen system, so much that I can count on one hand the amount of times I have used the 50D in the 6+ months I have had the Olympus, I keep recharging the batteries on the 50D only to have them discharge themselves without being used.
    I have just bought the 12mm 2.0 and the 45mm 1.8 lenses for the pen system and they are simply stunning, along with the kit zoom they give me everything I want and need in a camera. OK the image quality is not quite up there with SLRs but there is little in it and I enjoy using and carrying the pen so much more.
    Question is really do I take the plunge and go all micro 4/3? My heart says yes but my head can't let go of the (marginally) better IQ, but the sale of the 50D sale could also part fund an OMD :)
    Has anyone else thought or done the same?

2. danoliver1

danoliver1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    How do you find the m4/3 compares in af and in low light compared to the d50?

3. Jinxy

Jinxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yes, I've flogged or am in the process of flogging everything I had for DSLR to move entirely to the MFT system. I've gone for the OMD EM5, 25mm F1.4 and the 45-175 and really like the system. The size and weight of the thing is so much of a draw compared to lugging round bags full of kit. I've tried mirrorless before, having had both a Samsung NX10 and Nikon V1 but for me MFT and particularly the OMD have really got my attention.

The image quality of the OMD is up there with the A55, and its image stabilisation puts the Sonys to shame. The only thing I miss is the ability to get very shallow DOF but the 25mm F1.4 can produce some very pleasing results still, just not quite at DSLR level.

4. simonblue

simonblue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,799
    I like the mirrorless systems,but still like going out with my DSLR,so have both :)

5. bobbymax

bobbymax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I did dabble in 35mm SLR's many moons ago, but have not tried DSLR. I went straight to M43 after a couple of point and shoot digital's.
    Gotta say I'm very pleased with my Panasonic G2 with a couple of M43 and Legacy lens'.
    Might even upgrade to the Panny G5. :)

6. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,532
    Initially I went heavily towards micro 4/3, I was irritated with the misbehaving Olympus E-3 and pleased with the compact package the GH1 offered so that became my main camera. I replace the E-3 setup with the a D700, 24-70mm, 70-200mm and 50mm for times when the GH1 wasn't fast enough but the m4/3 was still my main setup which I kept building up to a pretty complete set with four bodies and a variety of lenses. However the use of my GH bodies started to falter when the Nikon 28-300mm came out and freed my D700 from its heavy zooms making it much easier and convenient to carry around. It's not fair to directly compare the D700 and the GH cameras as they're very different but when it came down to it, neither are pocket shaped so when it came down to carrying one in a bag I kept going with the D700 as it's an extremely capable camera with its blistering speed and superb high iso. The pocket micro 4/3 cameras then became my main m4/3 devices but the recently released Sony RX100 has now replaced them.

The main reason for holding onto the micro 4/3 gear now is for video although I've not been doing much recently that needed the GH2's capabilities.

John

7. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    I am in the process of moving over to an m4/3 setup from a Canon 40D + lenses + flash

For me, the main reason is that I am able to use the m4/3 kit a lot more which as a result means I am taking more photos and enjoying it more.

I have taken more photos with my m4/3 kit in the last months than I did with the 40D in 2 years :eek:

Yes, there are situations where the m4/3 kit struggles to perform as well as my Canon, particularly the odd low light situation or fast moving sports but I think I can live with that as previously, I probably would not have had the Canon with me anyway. Also, the bodies (and lenses) seem to be improving with every new release so I have confidence it will get there.

Similar to you though, I am delaying the selling of my Canon kit as there is a little part of me that doesn't want to completely let go. I have owned Canon SLR/DSLRs for over 20 years so there is a lot of history there.

I still have one eye on the soon to be released EOS-M. I haven't heard great things about it with reports of slow AF and lack of controls, EVF etc. I am hoping though that I can overlook the controls/EVF as long as they fix the performance issues some people have reported. It would be good to be able to re-use my Canon lenses and Flash on a compact body and then allow me to slowly replace those lenses with EOS-M equivalents over time.

8. Moor

Moor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The more I think about it the more I think selling the SLR is a good idea. The Olympus is very fast and more than capable, it was intended as a back up for the canon but has pretty much replaced it and as its small enough to slip into the wife's handbag it can pretty much go anywhere and gets used in many more situations than the canon ever was.
    For me M4/3 is pretty much perfect and the 12mm and 45mm lenses are fantastic, far better than any of my canon lenses, the O-MD looks fantastic and will definitely be on the shopping list when the price drops a little.
    Thanks for all the input guys, more people than I thought are taking the mirror less plunge which makes me feel better about selling the canon and has talked that little part of me that couldn't let go of the SLR to let go.