Anyone seen/used Tivo yet?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by johnny, Oct 6, 2000.

Tags:
  1. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, has anyone actually seen/bought/used a uk tivo box yet? I've called Tivo and they said try dixons/currys/coment. I've called several in the london area and all but one store (marble arch dixons) have no idea what I'm talking about.

2. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I do not have a UK Tivo but I do have a US Tivo and will be purchasing a second. Do not give up the search you must have one. It will change the way you watch TV forever.

3. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It still doesnt make the programs any better though.....Just records them and lets you watch them...i am sure i read about something that did that already.....

4. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    There was a system in America called Relplay.

It was basically the same type of Hard Drive recording system.

There is also a new channel to be launched, I can't remember what it is called but you pick when you want to watch the program. It's normally advertised at Odeon cinemas.

Dave

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TIVO was advertised in this months 'Empire'. It'll be in the stores either next week or the week after, retailing at £399 plus £9.95 a month.

6. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, Tivo is much more than a digital VCR. First whatever channel you are watching is being recorded. It has a 30 minute buffer so that you can pause live TV when the phone rings, and then resume playing when you get off the phone. Then when a commercial comes on you can fast forward through them. You can rewind if you didnt hear what someone said, you can do you own instant replays. The instsnt replay button jumps back 10 seconds then you can hit the catch up button to catch up to real time. It has a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" feature so if you are watching a program you like you can give it up to three thumbs up and it will automatically record similar programs for you to watch. Essentially it learns your preferences and recommends "Tivo Suggestions" shows for you to watch or record. It can record on one channel while you watch another, and say if you are 15 minutes late getting home to watch your favorite program you can start watching at the beginning while Tivo continues recording the rest. I use this option alot to "time shift" programming so that I don't have to sit through commercials. You can also get a "season pass" for shows that repeat. The Tivo will record every show that season whether you tell it to or not. I used this for the Olympics. Evey time there was Olympic coverage day or night it recorded it. I then could watch the events that I chose and could fast forward through the one I didn't care to see. It is amazing how quickly it learns your preferences and makes suggestions....even things you normally wouldn't consider watching especially things on late night while I was sleeping and didn't even know was on. It has a "dump to tape" function so that you can hook it to your VCR and archive programs if you choose. HDTV is great, but this thing has completely changed the way I watch TV. I think one of thier slogans is "TV on your own terms" if not it should be. The Replay unit does the same things as the Tivo. With Replay you do not have a monthly fee but the unit costs more. Tivo offers a lifetime subscription fee of $199 which make the Tivo and the Replay unit cost exactly the same. I just prefer the Tivo interface, it is a little easier to use. And no I do not work for Tivo or Phillips, I am just really excited about this product. Over on the AVS forum and the TIVO website they have a link to the Tivo Forum, check it out there is alot of information about the functionality of the unit. I don't think there are too many dissatisfied customers out there. I think some of the first units had bugs, but most have been worked out, and mine has performed flawlessly.
    P.S. (as if this post wasn't long enough) Phillips and Sony both make Tivo recorders I have the Phillips unit which will be moved to the bedroom when I get the georgous silver Sony unit. The Phillips unit is kinda ugly.