1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone seen this ? New optoma H76

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fjorko, May 29, 2003.

1. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Seems like it's going to be worth considering ( if it reaches the UK )

Go here

Cheers;)

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Just what I didn't want to see/hear :)

And here are the spces (curteousy http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com

Five-speed, six-segment color wheel
    Advanced HD-2 Double Data Rate DLP
    2000:1 Contrast Ratio
    1,000 lumens
    Lamp life 2,000 hour (250 watt) and 3,000 hour (200 watt) economy
    HD-2 0.79-inch 12-degree DDR DLP from Texas Instruments
    Throw Ratio: 1.6-2.7:1
    Image Size: 21 to 282 inches
    Projection Distance: 3.3 to 32.8 feet
    Compatibility: VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA, UXGA compression
    Full NTSC/PAL/SECAM
    True HDTV (720p, 1080i) & 480/p, 576i/p
    Refresh Rate: 31.5 to 100 kHz horizontal
    43 to 85 Hz vertical
    Communication: Dual +12V trigger relay, RS-232 controls
    Lens Shift: Vertical, manually operated
    User Controls: Advanced adjustability offered through onscreen display
    I/O: DVI, BNC, YcbCr/YpbPr, RCA, S-Video, dual IR receivers
    Power Consumption: 320 watts, <20 watts in standby mode
    Power Supply: AC input 90 to 264 volts, 50-60 Hz
    Projection Lens: f=28.3-38.2mm, F/2.4
    1.35x power zoom and focus
    Operating Temperature: 23-95 F, 80% max humidity
    Weight: 16.5 pounds
    Dimensions: 16.9x12.0x5.3 inches
    Competitive Warranty: Three year, limited parts and labor
    Standard Accessories: AC power cord, S-Video cable, composite video cable, wireless remote control, lens cap, two batteries, user manual.

3. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Suddenly........i feel much more comfortable with the fact that i have not yet made my mind up !!!!

This looks a cracking PJ !!!!! All the bells and whistles you want in a HT setup !! This MUST be a good thing, yes ? !

Just not so sure how much it will set me back !;)

:D

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I just spoke with Optoma to ask about it and was told it will be available in about 3 months and likely price of £4k - £4.5k.

Does sound a cracker but don't think I want to wait that long. Shame.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Fjorko,

Info about new Optoma is interesting, however this

is an even more interesting observation.

Fence-sitting is an understandable predicament, there is a lot of choice in the front projection market, from very inexpensive (AE100 current pricing) up to £8 - 10k (Sim, Marantz, Sharp), with lots of choice between LCD and DLP, plus CRT liberally available at any number of pricepoints, depending on budget/requirement.

I guess the issue is whether one wants to watch movies, or gaze in wonderment, waiting for "the next greatest PJ" - you can be sure that in three - six months time pepole will be posting here about another new projector which is cheaper/brighter/better resolution/better blacks/longer throw/shorter throw/makes the tea/dispenses beer/whatever, and on it will go. Looking back to a little earlier than this time last year, the AE100 was attracting serious attention, the HS10/AE300/Z1 is having its time now, and people are getting more interested in DLP at this stage.

The train is moving, and while you can be guaranteed that whatever PJ you get will be superceded (and depreciate) fairly quickly due to technology and pricing changes, it's an investment in the pleasure of being able to watch movies within budget, and one that's well worthwhile, whatever projector you go for.

Sean G.

6. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    True......

Well...at the moment out of all the popular projectors ( HS10, AE300, Z91E, Z1,X1,HT1000,TW100, etc etc .. . . . . .. . ) there are one or two things to each of them that bugs me (and all of you i would assume )...............................................things like :

too low a resolution, but nice brightness and quiet fan................or
    to much fan noise but nice resolution ...................or
    lots of screendoor or rainbows....but full 1:1 mapping capability + DVI etc etc .....

So all of them are fine.....but something about each of them is off-putting.....

Now some might say........LIVE WITH IT ! But why should I ?

When will manufacturers realise what people like us want in a HT Projector, and actually manufacture one like that !!!

Hence the H76.....which seems to have something of everything..........great resolution....fast colour wheel, very quiet fan, good lamp life, great contrast and brightness - all at a reasonable price for the features you get.

I'm sure if it has all these nice features......YES - it might be a bit more expensive...but many will buy it because they have something of everything in a projector of this nature

:smashin:

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Fjorko,

........... It appears that you have missed the point of my post - the fact that any projector on the market (and any likely to come to market in the near future) is likely to have some feature (or lack of feature) that will bug you is not a reason for not having a projector and enjoying it - lots of HS10, Z1, AE300 owners (and about 150 AE100 owners) are watching movies, rather than worrying about

If you really think that you are ever going to find a projector with which you are going to be 100% happy, then I think you are in for a disappointing wait, when you could be watching movies, tweaking to get the best out of your choice, and having a ball planning an upgrade in 12/18 months time.

Sean G.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's to say it won't have it's own foibles/shortcomings?

All looks good on paper (as most new PJs do), but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. On this occassion, the pudding won't be tasted for 3/6 months :D

Why not wait for Sony's new SXRD panel PJs? No rainbows (LCD) & specs (on paper) to make even the most ardent CRT fanatics cry :eek:

In 3/6 months time, just as you're about to buy you'll no doubt read of the next "in" PJ & have a rethink - meanwhile current owners will still be enjoying their 7/8' pics & be in a better position to decide on their next "upgrade" projector.

Happy viewing.......err.......sorry, I mean happy reading

:p :p

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    It's just another widescreen chip DLP, except it looks like it's going to be a fair bit cheaper than the likes of the Marantz S2 or Tosh MT8/Infocus 7200.

Well, I'm still happy with my NEC HT1000 and don't feel even the slightest bit interested in something that other than having a higher resolution than WS PAL, doesn't seem to offer anything much else that is an improvement over what I already have. :)

Gary.

10. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Only problem is..........not eveyone has the dosh to upgrade every 2 years !!!!

Obviously you have....or you have a very friendly bank manager

I will get my PJ when i feel it's the right time...... and then it will be a better one than yours Kramer !!!!!:laugh:

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 years :eek: Good God man, get it right - I never keep a PJ more than 6 months :D

I am a bank manager :smashin:

May well be a better PJ, but certain I'll still have a better picture.

:p :p :p

What will I watch tonight I wonder, maybe some hi def stuff........ na, I think I'll scour the net looking at new projectors. That'll be more fun....

NOT

Kramer ends his useful contribution to this engrossing thread...

12. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    :
    If you were....can't pay much....what you doing with a HS10 then ??:rotfl:

HS10.............Nah.....better avoid that one !!!.....I may get a false start !!!!:rotfl: