• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyone seen the Sony ZX-1?

ensyed

Established Member
I am curious about the picture quality on the new Sony ZX-1. Anyone seen one or can comment?
I did see a Sharp LED at Harrods and it looked super thin. However the picture was nothing to write home about + it was priced at 10,000 for a 50in.

Anyone?
THX

nenito2k

Established Member
well french reviews did say that it is quite good...but i don't even know why we should care !!! 11" that costs more tha a50" KURO this is madness :eek:

ag_pusscat

Standard Member
nenito2k - you are thinking of the XEL-1. Though £3k for a ZX-1 is nothing to be laughed at either.

ensyed - if you were in harrods you should have looked a bit harder, there is a ZX1 rotating in the Sony area. As to the PQ, I couldn't say - a rotating TV is hard to make a jusdgement on. But the TV itself looks pretty nice - brushed aluminium effect (as opposed to the plasticy look of nearly every other TV).

S

Sami_S

I've seen it in the Reading Sony Centre - looks nice.
Price tag attached to it makes if not so nice though!!

nickp8

Established Member

sdu1975

Established Member
Meadowhall Sony centre has one. The picture looked terrible BUT I assume this is because it has been poorly set up (like the rest of the TVs in the shop)

ensyed

Established Member
I did take a look at it at Harrods. I couldnt really gauge the PQ. I hope it drops in price to a more reasonable level.

jamct

Established Member
I am curious about the picture quality on the new Sony ZX-1. Anyone seen one or can comment?
I did see a Sharp LED at Harrods and it looked super thin. However the picture was nothing to write home about + it was priced at 10,000 for a 50in.

Anyone?
THX

The Sony Centre at the Trafford Centre, Urmston, Manchester. (Adj to the M60) has one on display (12/2). Pic looked great!. :D

Piscauk

Prominent Member
Saw one in a Sony Centre. Was ..... underwhelmed. Again, likely due to **** poor setup. Cant really say anymore, it just didnt grab me, I only noticed it as I had gone into the Sony centre to check this very model. It seemed as thin as the specs suggest, but again, seemed a poor selling point for that much money.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
It says on the sony site that no cables go to the screen. How does it get its power then?

the only lead/cord to go to the screen is a power cord.!:eek:

nenito2k

Established Member
oups sorry i did get confused on my post up there...
well there is a review on a very respectable french site.....but the TV is "GOOD" : Sony KDL40EX1 : Réactivité

if you can speak french read that !!!

the 3 main problems with the TV are:
not good for games (colours and LAG..yes !!!)
pc mode (the review could not get 1080p on the sony....only au 1366 x 768)
blue ray movies look more plasma-like than LCD ( a little soft)

Last edited by a moderator:

ag_pusscat

Standard Member
the only lead/cord to go to the screen is a power cord.!:eek:

Well that's not always true either. The wireless "connexion" can only handle 1080i; so if you want to use a 1080p source (say BluRay), you still need to connect an HDMI cable to the TV.

If you happened to have multiple 1080p sources you would need to have some sort of HDMI switching in place because it's only got one 1080p plug on the TV itself ... and if you did ever want to do 1080p via component (say for an X-Box 360) I don't think you can ...

Shame, that wireless trick would be pretty sweet if it did 1080p (though you've got to admit it is still pretty cool as it is)!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom