1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone seen the Sony NV900v for sale lately?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rupbert, Jan 6, 2004.

1. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Searched these forums, and used Google for a few hours...

Only find reviews of it, no-one actually selling it :(

I know the 905 is the next model up, but has the 900v retired? I much prefer the look of the 900v...

Cheers...

2. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Think the 900 retired a while ago... think they may even be up to the 930 by now...

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Sony seem to bring out a new model every few months or so. It is hard to keep track.

I have one of the NS900 and prefer it by a lot to the 905 and 930. I don't like the size of the player, it seemed to squashed for me. I prefer the height of the NS900 and it looks like a better quality player for it.

4. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Agree on the aesthetics, although the 930 is certainly no bad looker; as mentioned the 900v's extra height, and thus cleaner looking panel gives it the look of £1000+ machine. The 930 looks its money...

Anyway, ordered the NS930v in silver and MR from empiredirect for £272 including delivery :)

Just read a short review of the 930 in Septembers 03's Home Cinema Choice. They did not seem to overly happy with the player, especially the CD playback ability. They, like other reviews praised the near flawless PQ, but the CD performance was "mediochre", and the SACD ability was "solid" yet nothing special. The final review score was 4/5, but were it not for their 'demanding' of DVD-A playback, it would have got 5/5.

Oh, and I didn't realize the 930v had a plastic facia, can anyone comfirm this? Is this one of the difference's between this and £80 more expensive 905?

Apparently its aluminium, its sibling the 730 is faux alu...

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    One of the reasons why I went up from a Sony 525D to a NS900, is the CD playback was supposed to be excellent. Which is it but I still prefered a proper CD player.

The main reason though was the big jump in DVD quality.