Anyone seen The Cat and The Canary?

ferris57

Standard Member
Reaction score
One of my earliest movie memories is watching an old black and white bob hope film called "the cat and the canary". It was a sort of a horror comedy and although I can remember almost none of it I remember thinking it was brilliant!

I must have been all of about 8 at the time though and before I rush out and buy it (just seen it's out on dvd) I was just wondering if anyone has seen it.

Is it really any good or was I just an easily pleased, possibly delusional child?

I probably saw it last in my twenties and still enjoyed it. Bob Hope's big breakthrough, and the lovely Paulette Goddard.
May be a bit creaky, but probably a better buy than The Haunted Mansion, anyway...

great film with the brilliant bob hope beware of the remake
it is- no swearing allowed

cheers guys :smashin:

Looks like another movies going on my to buy list!

Got this on VHS and it is still a great watch. Have you seen this advertised somewhere on DVD? Would like to know where if you have.

If you liked "The Cat and the Canary" check out another Hope / Goddard horror/comedy on a very nicely done R1 DVD "The Ghost Breakers". :smashin:

Originally posted by the_pauley
Got this on VHS and it is still a great watch. Have you seen this advertised somewhere on DVD? Would like to know where if you have.

If you liked "The Cat and the Canary" check out another Hope / Goddard horror/comedy on a very nicely done R1 DVD "The Ghost Breakers". :smashin:

Yeah it's out on R2 as a barebones release. Noticed it on amazon first actually but it's cheaper at play:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=search&adudisc=y

still not exactly cheap though!

Cheers for the heads up on "The Ghost Breakers", I'll keep an eye out for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom