1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone seen/bought the Philips 26PF5520D

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by supernova, Jul 13, 2005.

1. supernova

supernova
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying the PHILIPS 26PF5520D, but there appears to be a lack of reviews or comment (on this site).

At roughly £750 it looks like a good buy for a freview HD ready screen.

I have seen a demo of it and was impressed. The PQ was not far off the Panasonic LXD500 (slightly less sharp around the edges on freeview) and I prefered the 26PF5520D to the 26PF7520D in some instances as Pixel Plus was more jagged around the edges (from DVD source)!

I was wondering how well it would work as a Windows MCE monitor?

Also, the manual says 1024 * 768 @ 60Hz is the max resolution. How does this look and can you view it easily from a distance?
    Are higher resolutions possible with Powerstrip or is this the limit of the screen with PC Input (DVI)?

Otherwise anybody have any general observations on PQ, sound, menu navigation etc....

Anyone compared this to another screen?

Thanks in advance

2. seka1980

seka1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i was tempted for one of these and had a look in comet yesterday
    they had the whole new philips range and i gota say that they all looked very poor against the new lg and samsung sets as the veiwing angle on them seems realy bad
    the contrast and pic qualty as fine but there seems to be a problem with the blacks on them! as in they have a realy purple oily effect! and the blacks wernt that black
    also could see a pinky tinge in the whites

3. supernova

supernova
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

Better start doing some more investigations!

4. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi got one of these yesterday for my partners Father, I purchased it from comet, tried to get one from argos for £719 + 3year warranty but by the time they'd got some more in the 3 year warranty disappeared and the price went up to £899, so it was off to comet.

Setting up is a doddle, and the pic quality is excellent, you can't judge a pic from the showroom. The set looks very slick, the freeview options are good, it found 7 analogue channels and 55 digital, all with a standard aeriel in a postcode thats not supposed to be able to recieve freeview; as quoted by the freeview site. The only issue I have is that it can't seem to find Channel 4 or ITV but a better aeriel is probably required.

The Teletext is also neat and easier to navigate. The menu system seems a little sluggish but I think I'm being picky.

I have the 32" PF9986 which is brilliant.

5. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Not a very good set, I saw the 37" model at someones house connected to SKy via RGB, pic wasnt very good.