Anyone see The One Show last night

Methinks they’re scraping the bottom of the Barrel for Contestants now. Strictly is going downhill.

BBC radio London are loosing listeners in droves since they bumped the popular Robert Elms & Jo Good onto the sleepy late night slots. They have put Eddie Nestor on in their slots and its all news and current affairs. They're trying to compete with the likes of LBC & Talk Radio. Why is a mystery as the BBC aren't reliant on advertising revenue so don't need to compete. Radio London was a good listen because it was light hearted and included lots of local events and lots of cultural events, just like any half decent local radio station should do. Now BBC Radio London is loosing listeners due to its recent editorial change and good as well.
The reality is this. The BBC do advertise on their TV and radio services. Its just that they advertise themselves and at every opportunity. Unlike any other television network they use one of their 30 minute nightly TV shows solely as a platform to advertise their products, as in The One Show last night (Fri 17th Sept) If you've ever seen an episode of this show it's continually used as a device to promote the BBC and/or one of it's shows, or one of its celebrities. It's touted as a 30 minute family orientated piece of light entertainment, but is in fact a none too subtle vehicle for BBC propaganda & promotion. Ditto their breakfast TV programing. The BBC is not a commercial broadcaster and they will tell you this until they are blue in the face, but in reality they are, aren't they? Why do they feel the need to compete and chase ratings with the commercial networks if they weren't? Their funding is not reliant on advertising revenue so they have no need to compete, yet they do, and at every opportunity. Why? The BBC are existing on borrowed time in their present form and more importantly with their unique form of funding. Ask anyone who thinks the BBC are value for money and who believe they are as relevant today as they were from their conception in 1932 and they will usually bang on about the quality of its natural history and drama. Yet the BBC thinks the jewel in its crown is Strictly because its a primetime winner. Let the BBC continue on with its dreary output of populist sh*te, bake this, dance that etc etc. Let them put out press releases telling the public that they are all inclusive but still sack presenters because of their older age. Let them chase and compete with the commercial networks whilst subverting and ruining their own shows and reputation by sacking their popular long running presenters simply to tick quota boxes. Let them continue to build their own scaffold piece by piece. Like most overblown, overfunded entities that wallow in their own self importance they are usually blind to the signs of their own slow demise.
Did you actually pause for breath when you wrote that diatribe?

It was practically all one sentence!

My Mother-in-Law developed a technique for talking whilst breathing in, which meant I could never get a word in edgeways! :mad:

I don't pay my licence fee to watch rubbish like that!!
Oh hang on a minute, I dont pay my licence fee:oops:

It's almost like there's a solution to be found if you don't like the BBC.

Amazing really. I don't know why people haven't thought of it before :)

The BBC are going OTT with the whole climate change thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about it, but it seems like they're getting obsessed with it. I listen to World Service of a night, and it seems like they'll shoe horn it in wherever they can. "Bob's mum died of skin cancer. Although she never used sun screen while spending her entire holiday sunbathing and was an avid sunbed user, Bob blames climate change...". There was a programme a while back that seemed like it was trying to say that earthquakes were down to climate change. I thought it was down to the Earth's plates moving around and things like volcanoes, silly me.

It's also done in the most patronising manner as well. There's one programme that's presented by a female and male presenter who sound like they're presenting a show for pre-school listeners, which is made worse by an obviously fake rapport between the presenters.. It's also dumbed down, and whenever it comes on I end up taking a detour to Radio 3 for a bit. Anyone who listens to shows like that is also probably doing their bit, so it's effectively preaching to the converted.

It's also done in the most patronising manner as well. There's one programme that's presented by a female and male presenter who sound like they're presenting a show for pre-school listeners, which is made worse by an obviously fake rapport between the presenters.. It's also dumbed down,
I think you can pretty much say this about every documentary shown on TV these days, we the viewers are treated as though we are as thick as the proverbial.

It's almost like there's a solution to be found if you don't like the BBC.

Amazing really. I don't know why people haven't thought of it before :)
Promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into this again, can't let that one go though :D

Maybe becuase they might like to watch other live stuff, but not the BBC?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom