Anyone see The One Show last night

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone catch last nights The One Show on BBC1? If not they devoted an entire episode to advertise their new series of Strictly. ITV doesn't devote entire shows to advertise their programmes. Its obvious that the BBC do advertise, they just advertise their own content and the licence fee paying public have to lump it. Tell you what BBC, advertise third party products and cancel your licence fee. And before anyone says they can editorialise what they want then I say hell no. Not if they are paid for by us.

The last episode I remember watching was about Shamima Begum. It was the most biased bit of TV I'd seen in a long time.

Never watch it and very rarely watch the bbc
I don't watch much TV anyway but not least the BBC. There's not much on there that interests me. I think once my current contract with VM ends I will be downgrading to a BB only package and getting rid of the STB. I don't think the licence fee is worth it.

It was on, I was in the room but I think the family members were waiting for Eastenders.
Then we sat through Question of Sport, which doesn't interest any of us; I answered out loud the one about a speedway team nicknamed The Witches - obvious though the contestants failed. Proved the other viewers in the room weren't taking any notice of it.
As for The One Show, noticed there wasn't a female presenter, didn't notice there was only one article,

I never watch The One Show by choice, but this was billed as a Strictly special, which sounds perfect for its typical viewers. I also never watch Strictly by choice.

Aren't there already about 57 BBC bashing threads this could have been posted in?

It was on, I was in the room but I think the family members were waiting for Eastenders.
Then we sat through Question of Sport, which doesn't interest any of us; I answered out loud the one about a speedway team nicknamed The Witches - obvious though the contestants failed. Proved the other viewers in the room weren't taking any notice of it.
As for The One Show, noticed there wasn't a female presenter, didn't notice there was only one article,
Why did you watch qos if none of you like it .

Did anyone catch last nights The One Show on BBC1? If not they devoted an entire episode to advertise their new series of Strictly. ITV doesn't devote entire shows to advertise their programmes. Its obvious that the BBC do advertise, they just advertise their own content and the licence fee paying public have to lump it. Tell you what BBC, advertise third party products and cancel your licence fee. And before anyone says they can editorialise what they want then I say hell no. Not if they are paid for by us.
I saw who was presenting then quickly turned over. How does that Rylan lad get presenting jobs, he’s unbearable

It was ever the case.
BBC News is much the same. ....
A tiny bit of news, endless repeated montages of presenters, interviews with people in the street or work about how something has affected them, or what there views are. The rest is promoting BBC programs or interviews with people in BBC progs.
Even Andrew Marr's Politics and World Events show has this BBC self promotional bilge crowbarred in.

The One Show is just awful.
It's coming up to that time of the year when it'll be regurgitated old music cashing in on the Xmas period.
Steel yourself for "interviews" with Michael Bublé, Michael Ball etc.
"So, I believe you've got a new album coming out"
Agghhhh :devil:

Why did you watch qos if none of you like it .
Because the Keeper Of The Remote dozed off, and the other one was head-down in some craft activity. I sometimes take over with my phone's infra-red blasting capability but, I thought they were watching it and, I was involved in internet/youtube research for a laptop repair.

Because the Keeper Of The Remote dozed off, and the other one was head-down in some craft activity. I sometimes take over with my phone's infra-red blasting capability but, I thought they were watching it and, I was involved in internet/youtube research for a laptop repair.
My dad used to fall asleep in front of the TV. If you dared change the channel he would wake up and claim he was watching it.

Aren't there already about 57 BBC bashing threads this could have been posted in?
Can there ever be enough :D

If we weren't forced to pay for them they'd never survive.

Try recording any of the few Sports they cover. May only be Wimbledon and Open now.
They jump about all over the place . . .
"For those wanting to watch Djokovic on centre court please go to BBC2" then, 20 minutes later "If you want to continue watching this match please go to BBC1 - where it's available On the Red Button"

Try recording any ...- where it's available On the Red Button"
As "Freeview" moves towards broadcasting a 'key' to broadband-streamed video, we'll lose the ability to set timers for, or instant record, programmes to watch later on local storage.

BBC radio London are loosing listeners in droves since they bumped the popular Robert Elms & Jo Good onto the sleepy late night slots. They have put Eddie Nestor on in their slots and its all news and current affairs. They're trying to compete with the likes of LBC & Talk Radio. Why is a mystery as the BBC aren't reliant on advertising revenue so don't need to compete. Radio London was a good listen because it was light hearted and included lots of local events and lots of cultural events, just like any half decent local radio station should do. Now BBC Radio London is loosing listeners due to its recent editorial change and good as well.
The reality is this. The BBC do advertise on their TV and radio services. Its just that they advertise themselves and at every opportunity. Unlike any other television network they use one of their 30 minute nightly TV shows solely as a platform to advertise their products, as in The One Show last night (Fri 17th Sept) If you've ever seen an episode of this show it's continually used as a device to promote the BBC and/or one of it's shows, or one of its celebrities. It's touted as a 30 minute family orientated piece of light entertainment, but is in fact a none too subtle vehicle for BBC propaganda & promotion. Ditto their breakfast TV programing. The BBC is not a commercial broadcaster and they will tell you this until they are blue in the face, but in reality they are, aren't they? Why do they feel the need to compete and chase ratings with the commercial networks if they weren't? Their funding is not reliant on advertising revenue so they have no need to compete, yet they do, and at every opportunity. Why? The BBC are existing on borrowed time in their present form and more importantly with their unique form of funding. Ask anyone who thinks the BBC are value for money and who believe they are as relevant today as they were from their conception in 1932 and they will usually bang on about the quality of its natural history and drama. Yet the BBC thinks the jewel in its crown is Strictly because its a primetime winner. Let the BBC continue on with its dreary output of populist shite, bake this, dance that etc etc. Let them put out press releases telling the public that they are all inclusive but still sack presenters because of their older age. Let them chase and compete with the commercial networks whilst subverting and ruining their own shows and reputation by sacking their popular long running presenters simply to tick quota boxes. Let them continue to build their own scaffold piece by piece. Like most overblown, overfunded entities that wallow in their own self importance they are usually blind to the signs of their own slow demise.

Last edited:
I saw who was presenting then quickly turned over. How does that Rylan lad get presenting jobs, he’s unbearable
He’s obviously got something people like as he’s on many shows, and hosts a lot. I think people like him because he doesn’t take himself too seriously, is amiable and engaging , and gets on with everyone . I don’t mind him in small doses.

He’s obviously got something people like as he’s on many shows, and hosts a lot. I think people like him because he doesn’t take himself too seriously, is amiable and engaging , and gets on with everyone . I don’t mind him in small doses.
Or is it the case that his style is so lightweight and inoffensive that no one really cares either way about him, let alone complain about him. And the assumption being that because of this he is very popular?

Or is it the case that his style is so lightweight and inoffensive that no one really cares either way about him, let alone complain about him. And the assumption being that because of this he is very popular?
I think a lot of people dislike him. And a lot like him

I like him. He is funny and a decent presenter

Just feels like more BBC dumbing down to me, appealing to the cheap reality show demographic - he's more ITV2/Channel 5 imo

We used to think of him as being pretty irritating, then had to do a 4-hour drive on a Saturday afternoon, so listened to his BBCR2 show (I stayed on Radio 2 for the traffic updates as much as anything). By the end of his show we'd grown to like him. He's clearly very natural, especially when members of the public call in, and actually pretty witty. And I don't think he's pretending to be anything other than he is.

One of the problems I think the Beeb do regularly is to pick a personality and flood the networks with them and they seem to be on everything - Paddy McGuinness appears to be their latest "star".

The One Show is just awful.

Agreed. But the Beeb have always had dumb/populist magazines which pull in decent ratings - Nationwide, Pebble Mill, Breakfast Time with Frank Bough and Selina Scott in their woolly jumpers, the Green Goddess and Russell Grant's daily horoscope (later poached by TVam), right up to today's Breakfast News.

Strictly Come Dancing is pretty much the BBC's biggest entertainment show. Hardly surprising they would use a daytime filler gossipy show to promote it.

Strictly Come Dancing is pretty much the BBC's biggest entertainment show. Hardly surprising they would use a daytime filler gossipy show to promote it.

there's also that Strictly companion talk show with Zoe Ball and everyone's favourite, Rylan - someone needs to watch it, get angry and start a thread

It’s a sign of the times when people start to think they Rylan is a decent presenter. He’s not, he was a failed singer made famous due to having a breakdown on a judge in one of them talent shows. He fits a certain narrative that the BBC are pushing at the minute….

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom