Anyone see Strangeways on TV? What to do with unruly prisoners

Veni Vidi Vici

I watched the fly on the wall series Strangeways on ITV the other night about the high security Category A prison in Manchester.

For those who didn't see it there was one prisoner, aged 40, who is so uncontrollable it made me wonder what should happen to people like him. He basically refuses to do anything for himself, won't walk (has to be pushed around in a wheelchair even though he can walk), won't wash (guards have to hose him down), constantly defecates his cell and smashes it up, swears at everyone, basically refuses to do anything. As he is homeless on the outside he constantly breaks the law so he can be sent back to jail. A complete waste of space in other words. Surprisingly they said he doesn't have mental health issues either???

So what should we do with people like that? He is never going to work, never going to contribute anything positive in society, he will constantly break the law and costs thousands to look after. He freely admits he will break the law when released so he can go back to jail.

I certainly got more respect for prison officers after watching this. They have to put up with horrendous things, I certainly couldn't do it.

Personally I think prisoners like that should be put down but thats never going to happen. I imagine there are plenty of other like him so what would you do with them?

Steven

Senior Moderator
Grim yet compelling viewing. Me and my brother were playing "spot the inmates we used to go to secondary school with" :D

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
You mean this guy: David Charlton from Strangeways | Facebook

Yep I saw it and me and the missus were saying that when the cameras aren't there I bet the guards make him do things and generally beat him.. so annoying and a filthy scruff.

Death Penalty

Hors1na

Cut his legs off.

Veni Vidi Vici

What I also found utterly amazing was a guard said they couldn't pull a prisoner who was self harming out from underneath his bed because they could get charged with common assault !!! What has the country come to?

ProgUK

The prison officers deserve a medal thats for sure, don't know how they put up with it. That guy was grim, filthy horrible person. Had to laugh a little when he moaned that they tipped him out of his wheelchair though.
Also the french guy that tried to pull out his own eyes! attacking and bitting the guards, just unbelievable.

NoMansLand

Let him live in his own mess.

If he wants to defecate, trash his cell and not wash, then let him. But keep him isolated and let him live in his own stink.

Anotherlimey

Distinguished Member
David and the french guy both looked to have mental problems to me, or am i just being the liberal do-gooder you asked for :rolleyes: :D

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
I haven't seen the program but I think the guards should be allowed to kick his ass! Obviously we can't do that though. God forbid we violate his human rights!

I haven't seen the program but I think the guards should be allowed to kick his ass! Obviously we can't do that though. God forbid we violate his human rights!

I don't think it would make a difference. The guy was from planet of the Neanderthals.

Member 328449

I'd take away his wheelchair if he wants to move he will , also did you see his toe nails :rolleyes:

He was constantly taking the **** out of the guards one day one of them will no doubt get fed up and give him a good slap :thumbsup:

Very unlikely. Senior managment are very interested in this sort of thing and a complaint like this from a prisoner would lead to a fairly big investigation.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
HERE on ITV On Demand for those who want to watch the program.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Er...shoot them?

Veni Vidi Vici

Solitary confinement for the foreseeable future. I can't think of any other way to deal with him.

Thats all you can do really, while he is locked up at least. What I don't understand about human rights is the prisoner has said he will continue to commit crime so any potential victims human rights are not being considered. He is obviously not fit to be in society but will keep being released once he has served his sentence.

mij

He obviously has mental health problems and prison should not be for mentally ill people, care in the community doesn't seem to work either!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series