Anyone Running DIYSG Speakers For Atmos?

sjackson

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to have a new room build coming up next year and thinking of selling my Monitor Audio 265-IDC's and replacing with DIYSG Volts for Atmos.

Is anyone running them for Atmos? Have a feeling @jacked might be but not aware of anyone else.

I currently have the 893's at the front (which I'm going to rebuild for going behind an AT screen) and Volt 8's for sides and rear. Thinking either Volt 6's for Atmos or maybe the 8's to keep in with the rest of the speakers in the room.

I don't really want to cut holes in the new ceiling so might just attach the boxes to the ceiling. The thinking is to build a large acoustic panel (say 3m x 3m) on the ceiling but embed an Atmos speaker in each corner. Also thinking of using the angled flat-packs so the Atmos speakers are firing towards me at a better angle than just straight down.

Thoughts?

I'm hoping to have a new room build coming up next year and thinking of selling my Monitor Audio 265-IDC's and replacing with DIYSG Volts for Atmos.

Is anyone running them for Atmos? Have a feeling @jacked might be but not aware of anyone else.

I currently have the 893's at the front (which I'm going to rebuild for going behind an AT screen) and Volt 8's for sides and rear. Thinking either Volt 6's for Atmos or maybe the 8's to keep in with the rest of the speakers in the room.

I don't really want to cut holes in the new ceiling so might just attach the boxes to the ceiling. The thinking is to build a large acoustic panel (say 3m x 3m) on the ceiling but embed an Atmos speaker in each corner. Also thinking of using the angled flat-packs so the Atmos speakers are firing towards me at a better angle than just straight down.

Thoughts?

Yes I did install Volt 6 speakers for Atmos and won`t be changing them anytime soon.

I did consider getting the Volt 8`s and the angled flatpacks but weight was a major factor, my house is very old and has lolly-stick joists so wanted the speaker to be as light as possible. The Volt 6 Atmos flatpack is Baltic birch and pretty lightweight, the Volt 8 is mdf so will be quite heavy really.

I don`t know if the angled flatpack will be an improvement for directionality but I do highly rate the Volt 6 and have them firing straight down. They may be bass-light and have to be crossed over at 120hz but clarity and overall sound quality is stunning.
That said though, if you can accommodate the Volt 8 and weight isn`t an issue you might as well go for the better model...

And while you`re at it if you`re using an AT screen place an order for the new Titan 615`s for LCR ;)
Titan-615LX DIY Sound Group

I'm going V6 as I think I'll get the angled cabs from Eric. HTM-6 for surrounds.

I'm going V6 as I think I'll get the angled cabs from Eric. HTM-6 for surrounds.

How do you get them shipped as it says they only ship to America unless you arrange your own something or other?

The stuff on that site looks amazing tbf can't believe those prices either even if they are just for individual speakers.

How do you get them shipped as it says they only ship to America unless you arrange your own something or other?

The stuff on that site looks amazing tbf can't believe those prices either even if they are just for individual speakers.

A few of us have used Shipito.

@Areyoutheguy as above, I used shipito, they were slow but it was black friday time so I think they were swamped. @markymiles used them just recently and they were quick.

Best you can do is check the weight of what you are ordering and then use the Shipito calculator. In my case I had 3 x 893's, 4 x Volt 8's and a few other odds and ends. I think my shipping was under $500 and was delivered with DHL in 3 days. Customs depends on how honest you are when filling out the declaration forms online on the Shipito website..... :rolleyes:

@sjackson thanks. I really need to get on and work on the other two. Maybe this weekend if the weather is too bad to be building walls with railway sleepers... the shipping weight was 69lb in total (two parcels of 49lb and 20lb) according to shipito.

@Areyoutheguy from my HTM-12 build thread:

Speakers - £728
Shipping - £175
Customs - £163

@sjackson thanks. I really need to get on and work on the other two. Maybe this weekend if the weather is too bad to be building walls with railway sleepers... the shipping weight was 69lb in total (two parcels of 49lb and 20lb) according to shipito.

@Areyoutheguy from my HTM-12 build thread:

Speakers - £728
Shipping - £175
Customs - £163

Ooo that's steep but worth it I guess for the quality, hopefully we hurry up and get this trade deal with America on the go haha.

Personally I was thinking of getting studio monitors because they are apparently an easy build and get excellent reviews. Would like slightly bigger ones but I'm not sure wether he has other monitors apart from a set of 4ohm ones that my soundcard won't run.

Probably start cinema stuff with the atmos speakers then ramp up to the 88special and cinema 10s!

Probably start cinema stuff with the atmos speakers then ramp up to the 88special and cinema 10s!

Cinema 10`s are an awesome speaker and the crossover is a doddle !

They totally destroy the M&K S150`s I had prior to them !!

Ah damn I'm regretting buying floor standers already now, I'll just go with what I've got for now and I have to save up more anyway, spent a fortune on equipment lately.

Have to agree. My 893's are fantastic speakers and when you compare them £ for £ for something out of a retailer in Europe there's no contest. I had Monitor Audio Apex 40's @ £500 each before these and the 893's are better. Visitors to the house are in disbelief when they ask where I bought the speaker and I reply that I built them.

That said though once you've gone DIY once you do get the urge for another project which I'm going through now......

I wish Eric made the CNC plans available (for a small fee) so that you could get the cabs cut here as shipping them is expensive. It's not too hard to make boxes but the perfection you get with the CNC 'glove fit' looks nice.

Does your soundcard (on a PC I presume you are referring) have an inbuilt amplifier and speaker terminals?

Actually now you mention it no it doesn't, my current monitors are active, never even thought of that! And it just has xlr outputs and inputs, it's an audient id22.

I wish Eric made the CNC plans available (for a small fee) so that you could get the cabs cut here as shipping them is expensive. It's not too hard to make boxes but the perfection you get with the CNC 'glove fit' looks nice.

Have you asked the question? I think it's something a lot of people over here would have an interest in. Also the baffle designs to cut down on shipping costs.

Actually now you mention it no it doesn't, my current monitors are active, never even thought of that! And it just has xlr outputs and inputs, it's an audient id22.

yeah you're going to need an amp regardless..... Unless you buy some sort of plate amp for the speakers and make them active.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom