Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Anyone running Catalyst 4.10 drivers sensibly?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Oct 29, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've just spent 2 hours fruitlessly trying to install and use the super-dooper new Catalyst Control Panel which came with the 4.10 Catalyst drivers and have now given up. Here's what I did:

1) base system is XP Pro plus SP1 plus patches.
    2) run DOTNETFX to install the .NET Framekwork CCC needs.
    3) install the drivers.
    4) trying to run CCC nothing happens, the cursor changes to an hourglass for a second then disappears. Look in the System Event Log shows a complaint about the 'miniport' driver and 'display' driver being different versions.
    5) scratch head, realise CCC needs SP2.
    6) apply SP2.
    7) try again, this time CCC runs.
    8) install Powerstrip, configure for 1024x576 (for my Z200E).
    9) reboot
    10) XP 'helpfully' puts up a 'bubble tip' telling me my desktop is rather small. On checking Display|Properties|Settings the ATI drivers have set 720x480. :confused:
    11) select 1024x576 via the 'Monitor' tab as usual, screen goes into 1024x576 mode.
    12) I smile "at last"
    13) re-boot
    14) something's wrong, I cry
    15) GOTO 10

Basically, these 4.10 drivers and/or the new Catalyst Control Centre refuse to 'see' the setting Powerstrip provides and although they let me manually set it they forget about it on booting.

I'm now going to go back to 4.7, which as far as I can see from the driver history was the last one before CCC came into being .. I know 4.3 works properly so I'll iterate back to there. I do NOT want my HTPC polluting with SP2 unless absolutely necessary, and right now CCC is certainly not that.

Is anyone actually USING this thing? :rolleyes:

2. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm using 4.10 and have had very little trouble installing. I literally went straight over the top of my old install having exported my powerstrip settings first.

The only wierd problem I have is that WMV under TT2 now has a very strange pallette, though everything else is fine in TT2, and WMV files are fine in WinAmp.

I have a Radeon 9600 Atlantis on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo with an Athlon 2500 Mobile CPU. I had Cat 4.3 installed previously with SP2 & dotnet framework.

One of the things I constantly find frustrating about XP is how something can install fine for some people but be a disaster to others. I'm usually in the second ground of people here but seem to have got away with the upgrade install this time.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Mark.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In the end I've done a cold re-install, not just for this, but this did seem to clear things up. OTOH I've noticed a very worrying thing recorded in the event log.

In standard XP there are 3 logs, Application, Securty and System. There's now a 4th, ACEEventLog. In there are loads of failures coming from the .NET Framework, and the new Catalyst Control Centre is the only user of that. One of the many logs is this:

Seems like this ATI software is trying to phone home for some reason. :mad:

Before doing a re-install I reverted to an earlier image and tried going back to 4.3 and that sent the machine into a constant reboot loop .. I therefore figured something was very broken and decided to cut my losses.

4. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4.10 drivers stuffed my 3DM05 scores. Went back to the 4.10 beta's and everything is cool again. No CCC, it's pants.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    But I tried installing without CCC and couldn't get to the 'old' Control Panel tabs. :rolleyes:

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Why don't you just download the version with the old Control Panel in ? I've never gone near the new CCC :)

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Actually, I literally just realised I screwed-up before.

:oops:

I'm reinstalling again and this time I watched more carefully, in the 4.10 installer when you de-select the third entry, the one for CCC it 'helpfully' de-selects the 'old' one too, which is why before I couldn't get the tabs in the 'Advanced' dialog.

Must say I prefer nVidia's configuration system to ATI's, though I guess CCC is ATI's attempt to do the same sort of thing .. my biggest gripe with AT is they insist on forcing you to use at least 800x600 otherwise you can't see the bottom buttons .. a real PITA on a 1024x576 desktop. :mad: