Anyone ridden a Honda CBR600RR with C-ABS

Inked

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to persuade the wife to let me get a bike next year (not ridden a bike since 2003) and was wondering if anyone has ridden a Honda CBR600RR with the combined ABS system and what their thoughts on it are.

I'm trying to persuade the wife to let me get a bike next year (not ridden a bike since 2003) and was wondering if anyone has ridden a Honda CBR600RR with the combined ABS system and what their thoughts on it are.

Not ridden that one but ridden a Blackbird with the combined braking system and also many many sportsbikes without and would say it's not something I'd want on a sportsbike :thumbsdow

Ive got an non-abs rr, if they had made the new system on my year of bike i would of gone for one of them.

From the reviews it seems an excellent system, cant you test ride both?

I plan to try them both if possible, just wanted some info from people that might have already tried it. Gonna have to buy all the other gear before that tho, as I sold all of my old gear when I stopped riding.

I'd forgotten how much there was that i'll need!

I've ridden bikes with ABS. Yes, it's very good. Is it worth an extra £1k?? No way. Think of what you can buy with the savings- leathers, helmet, boots etc.

I can see the appeal of it to born again/ returning bikers, but if you're placing all trust in abs braking you really need extra/ more training in my opinion.

I've ridden bikes with ABS. Yes, it's very good. Is it worth an extra £1k?? No way. Think of what you can buy with the savings- leathers, helmet, boots etc.

I can see the appeal of it to born again/ returning bikers, but if you're placing all trust in abs braking you really need extra/ more training in my opinion.

Certainly wouldn't be placing all my trust in it, but can see a benefit in having it (especially as I haven't ridden in so long).

Was thinking of taking a few lessons before buying the bike, just to get used to riding again, and taking an advanced motorcycle training course too.

I'm sure I picked up a lot of bad habits riding with my mates when I first started riding - too fast too soon and worrying too much about getting my knee down, rather than concentrating on improving my actual technique.

Last edited:
I've ridden a CBR fitted with it, and I was surprised how hard one could brake before you got a sense of it working.
There's a lot of 'snobbery' in biking to the likes of ABS, with experienced bikers saying they don't need it/want it.
The fact is, even an experienced biker, in a panic situation, will either not use the brakes at all (statistics back this up), or will grab the front and go down like a sack of potatoes.
So in a situation where you really need it, I would say the ABS could be invaluable.
If it's unobtrusive 99% of the time (which my ride suggested), but could save you/the bike in an emergency, then that's a positive in my book.:thumbsup:
I also find it funny that some complain about the added weight, when they could do with shedding pounds themselves.....:rotfl:

Certainly wouldn't be placing all my trust in it, but can see a benefit in having it (especially as I haven't ridden in so long).

Was thinking of taking a few lessons before buying the bike, just to get used to riding again, and taking an advanced motorcycle training course too.

I'm sure I picked up a lot of bad habits riding with my mates when I first started riding - too fast too soon and worrying too much about getting my knee down, rather than concentrating on improving my actual technique.
Not ridden the ABS version, but have owned a 600rr since 2004, and think its a fantastic bike.
£1000 isn't a great deal in the grand scheme of things, especially if you have lost touch slightly. Remember, most of that you will get back come resale time, add the fact that it could save you, or at least your plastics and leathers in a spill, and it seems a no-brainer.
Definately go for the IAM as soon as you can. I completed mine 3 years ago, and to be honest, it was quite enjoyable, the instructors are very friendly and there for the same reason that you are.
If you are looking at gear, Schuberth make some fantastic helmets. Also, now is the season of the bike shows, so you should be able to get some decent deals at the Birmingham sho, amongst others.
Not sure if I would bother with any lessons beyond the IAM course, as after all, its just like riding a bike.
Keep it shiny side up:thumbsup:

I have never done an IAM course, but have met some of the IAM guys and i wouldn't want to do it to be honest.

In my opinion some of the stuff they advise is dangerous, i have got a car course with work with them, which should be interesting. Some colleagues that have previously done it have said they were told to enter blind corners at higher speeds than they were doing which further reinforced my belief that they are not the best examples of motorists.

I would go with a reputable bike school for extra training, many schools now have people who can train you on the ERS (enhanced rider scheme) which is DSA backed. Here is a link to my local school who offer this:

Advanced Training, leeds and bradford motorcycle training

I have never done an IAM course, but have met some of the IAM guys and i wouldn't want to do it to be honest.

I'm with you there, 100%.
I've ridden with some IAM boys, and they really were terrible riders.
IMO, the IAM is just some sort of club people want to join to somehow 'prove' they are better then the next bloke.
Kind of like MENSA.
Load of horlicks.

I'm with you there, 100%.
I've ridden with some IAM boys, and they really were terrible riders.
IMO, the IAM is just some sort of club people want to join to somehow 'prove' they are better then the next bloke.
Kind of like MENSA.
Load of horlicks.

LOL
I don't for 1 second regret completing the course. I am no riding god, and frankly, and extra tips to help me stay alive were very welcome.
I never once felt that they were pushing me to do things that I was uncomfortable with. They just gave many tips on road positioning, speed, hints on approaching junctions by looking at tree lines, reading and understanding road signs etc.
Completing the course will probably not make you faster round the track, may not teach you to get your knee down, but if you learn 1 thing that you may not have know, or had forgotten about, then surely its worth the £100 or so that it will cost you.

Not ridden that one but ridden a Blackbird with the combined braking system and also many many sportsbikes without and would say it's not something I'd want on a sportsbike :thumbsdow

The new C-ABS on the RR and Bladeis a completely different beast though.

Performance Bikes tested the RR with ABS and loved it. Possibly the biggest compliment being you wouldn't know its there untill you need it.

Not tried it personally but it does sound intigueing

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom