Anyone returned their Pioneer 565 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ian182, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi,

I've got the Horizontal Banding problem playing NTSC discs through RGB on my Panasonic TV.
    I've emailed Richer Sounds for advice, but other than a couple of things that I've already tried, all they could suggest was to take it back to the store so that they could replicate the problem there. Which, if they don't have a Panasonic or Phillips TV to hand, could prove tricky.........

Has anyone returned their 565 with this fault ? If so, what did the store do - repair it, replace it with another 565, or offer an alternative ?

Ian.

2. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do you have the same problem using s-video instead of RGB?

Can you try your 565 on a different make of TV?

There have been several reported picture problems with Pioneer DVD players connected to Panasonic widescreen TVs, but they only show up in RGB.

3. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It works OK on S-Video, but the picture quality is appreciably poorer.
    I accept that it is some kind of clash between Pioneer DVD players and Panasonic TVs, but where does the blame lie ? I have connected other makes of DVD players in the past without a problem, so I would have to point the finger at the Pioneer side of things - I'd just be interested to know whether anybody has managed to get one repaired, or whether it is just incompatible.

I'm just never happy ! :laugh:

4. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm sorry to say that I've never read of a solution on any forum to this particular compatibility problem :(

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, I love the 565 and have two of them. I agree that the RGB scart flicker is a problem. Its OK on my 4:3 28 inch panasonic, but is very bad during bright scenes on the Sony. It seems to calm down after about an hour or so. I haven't taken it back for the follwing reasons:

1) I can't be bothered. I'd have to box it up and trudge back to RS. Not exactly fun, even though they are usually accomodative.
    2) What are they going to replace it with? Something from cambridge audio? No thanks.
    3) I envisage upgrading to plasma/LCD within the next 18 months and will use component instead.

Damn shame. Maybe you could sell the 565 and buy a 2nd hand 656 which, according to this forum, does not exhibit the rgb scart problem.

Or perhaps you could send the player to Trichord Research and get them to tinker with the scart voltages while having your player upgraded to "Fusion" level!!!!

DT

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is indeed a problem with Pioneer DVD players & Panasonic TV's...I had a 565 and had the flicker problem on R1 discs using RGB. Switch to s video and the problem dissapears.
    However, it's not restricted to Pioneer/Panasonic. I remember oncer there was a guy on here who had the problem with a Pioneer and another make of TV...for the life of me, I can't remember who it was (sorry... :blush: ). I took my 656 to him that I owned at the time, but the problem still showed up.
    Also for the record, It's not restricted to the 565 either...every player from the 444 (EXCLUDING the 656) has this flicker problem with Panasonic TV's.
    Of course, Panasonic blame Pioneer and vice versa.
    I would suggest you take it back for a refund/exchange - though admittadly, your not gonna get a better player for the buck... :(

7. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I know - it really is catch 22..........
    Other than the horizontal banding, I can't fault the player. The 2 SCART sockets are a massive bonus because I can loop SKY+ through it to get that in RGB as well, and I've not even had chance to sample the delights of SACD and DVD-Audio yet........
    I guess it's just a case of living with its problems, and enjoying its good points.
    I've emailed Pioneer to see if they have any advice, I'll post their reply when I get it.

Ian.

8. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    Hi,

I had the same problem with the Pioneer 565, and, in the end, vouched for a Panny S75 DVD player instead. No such problems, and, imho, a much better video DAC (certainly with more adjustment options and greater depth of field), but I had to sacrifice SACD playback and endure the pretty non-descript DVD-A playback of the Panny. No such problems with RGB playback, though.

Hope that helps

9. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Spoke to Pioneer this afternoon to get their thoughts.

The Customer Service guy was very friendly, but the only thing he could suggest was swtiching it from interlaced to progressive, which as I'm watching on a 50hz CRT TV probably wouldn't be a good idea !
    He did say though that Pioneer UK do not manufacture these players as multi-region - they are manufactured as region 2 and modified by the retailer. (Which I guess is a handy way of saying "well, it works for region 2........).
    His only suggestion was to take it back to the retailer.

The other thing I've noticed is this, hidden away at the back of the manual :

"This player is compatible with Macro-Vision System copy guard. Some disks include a copy prevention signal, and when this type of disk is played back,stripes etc. may appear on some sections of the picture depending on the TV. This is not a malfunction."

Hmmmmm.

10. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In that case someone should try replacing their scart cable with a macrovision-removing scart cable (I assume they exist) to see if that does the trick. Anyone have one of those??

DT

11. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    There does seem to be a device that disables macrovison that you plug into your SCART - only problem is its nearly 70 quid ! :eek:
    I guess the other possibility is that someone has bought a 565 with macrovision already disabled - I know Techtronics offer this kind of thing......

So, has anyone out there got a 565 with macrovision disabled ?

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong...but if it was a macrovision problem, wouldn't it be the same for R2 discs as well as R1....?

13. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I don't know.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about macrovision to know whether there is any difference between the way it is used on PAL and NTSC.
    Incidentally - the problem is definitely with NTSC, rather than just region 1, as I have a region 3 copy of Tears of the Sun that has exactly the same problem.

Any macrovision experts out there ?

This one could run and run...... :laugh:

14. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I had this problem but decided to buy the 757 when I bought a plasma.
    If you need dual scart, try the Sony 930 it doesn't do DVD-A though but going off my Sony 900v the SACD is better than the 565.

15. cockbongo

cockbongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well this is an odd one

I had a Panasonic TX28ps12 with a Pioneer 565 and had no horizontal banding problems or anything.

I swapped it for a Sony 28fx68, and now i regularly get horizontal flicker on half of the screen when i play any DVD through RGB, not just R1.

Any ideas? Haven'tbeen able to try another DVD player yet to figure out if its the TV or not, but has this happened to anyone else?

T
    x

16. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have been put off buying the Pioneer 565 because I expect I would suffer the RGB banding problem with my Panasonic TV.
    There is a fix but it involves altering setting in the TV's setup and appears complex (search under DVCO in these forums).

I am now wondering if the new 575 suffers the same problem? Has anyone replaced their 565 with a 575 or otherwise had the opportunity to check?

17. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do get this problem with my 656 / panny TX28PK1. Its quite subtle, but once you notice these things they bug you. It has stopped me buying any R1 DVD's for now.

I have tried the DVCO fix but it has seemed impossible to resolve. The colour bars / numbers didn't actually change when attempting this - see this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19859&referrerid=14842

I am thinking I won't buy another Panny - rather than giving up on Pioneer, if I get a tube TV (probably would choose a Toshiba, especially as i think they have component inputs).

Does this problem occur with Panny Plasma screns too?

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm sooo pleased I've found this thread at last! I have the same problem, but I have a Pioneer 656, so for those who are saying the 656 is not affected, it is!! My TV is a Panny TX32PK1, and I am seriously considering changing the 656 for a Sony DVP-NS930V. I do feel, however, that this would be a backwards step, as I would lose the DVD-A feature of the 656, having bought several of them. If anyone can come up with a solution to this, I, and many others would be eternally grateful!

19. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon

I think the problem is more to do with the Panny TV's - Although this relates to Pio players, I have come accross other problem combinations with Panny. Its a shame to ditch the Pio when it's not really a Pio fault, but then i suppose it is the cheaper component. But on the other hand Panny TV's are probably up there with the best if one ignores this issue.

For me, it just means I have stopped buying R1 DVD's - no great hardship, release dates are tending to be closer across regions now, extras more likely to be the same, and if I buy from Play or CD-Wow, price is not an issue, so I can wait for the R2 releases.

20. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Richard,

The trouble is, most of my 400+ DVDs are Region 1s! I can see your point about the Panny. Both components are excellent in their own ways, but if they are incompatible, unless a solution can be found, then one of them has to go, or I just live with the occasional horizontal banding. I have 'the bug' now, and I notice the banding even more, but I suspect that after a while I will find something else to worry about. I really don't want to retire the Pio, as it's such a good player in every other way. Does anyone know if later Pannys also suffer with this? I think I read on these forums that the PD30s do, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for any of the lower spec models.

21. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh - 400+ R1's - yes I would be driven to distraction if it affected all my collection. I see your point.It is very hard to find out for sure what model combinations are affected, I have asked before. Also would it affect plasma screens????

22. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Simon,

Have you tried watching your R1's through S-Video instead of RGB ? The picture quality is (supposedly) not quite as good, but it fixes the problem. The problem affects anything recorded in NTSC format - I also have a handful of R3 discs which are affected. I must admit though, I watched Hellboy R3 through S-Video, and the picture quality was outstanding, so I'm leaning more and more towards just living with the problem.
    The 565 has many extremely useful features, and swapping it for something else would probably mean compromising elsewhere......

Ian.

23. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree. I have decided to keep the 656 and try an S-Video to Scart adapter, when I can get hold of one, but then I would lose the RGB switching, and some PQ, so there's always a compromise, it seems. What I have done now, is connected my Sony GX3 DVDR to my amp, so if I'm not recording anything, I can watch NTSC DVDs on the GX3 instead of the Pio. Watched part of Dawn of the Dead 2004 (R3) again, and the banding is not evident. Bit of an untidy method, but my best option at this time, it seems. In fact, I would rather get a new TV than replace the 656, but that would be a ridiculous way to dispose of £900 - £1000, when my Panny TX32-PK1 is still in perfect working order, and is otherwise a fabulous picture.

24. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    sounds like a sensible compromise, Simon.

DT