1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone record Lost?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by sniff, Aug 15, 2005.

1. sniff

sniff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I've just watched Lost and must say I am a little disappointed in the quality.

The close up, fast moving parts are almost unwatchable! Does anyone else have a similar problem when recording fast paced images?

I have a Sky box connected to a PVR 150 MCE via Scart -> Composite. Would using the s-video in of the 150 provide better quality?

Thanks
    Sniff

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    It may make a difference, but what do you mean by unwatchable, is it grainy/blcoky or do you get scan lines, since it is a sky box you should get a good source compared to freeview since sky transmit at a higher bitrate..., is your Machine up spec up to it's job?..

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The broadcast quality of lost was terrible, it was very blocky and blurry, its down to sky supplying a bad picture nothing to do with how you recorded it. I have all season 1 in hi-def and the sky broadcast looked awfull in comparison.

4. sniff

sniff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    By unwatchable I mean incredibly blurry with lots of ghosting.

I've noticed similar issues with Scrubs, but that's not quite as fast paced a show :)

It's a brand new Altlon 64 3000+, 1GB RAM, Geforce 6600GT (with PureVideo enabled) using the 1.0.67 NVIDIA Decoder. So I am pretty sure it's capable. Also DVD playback is fine (both from disk and the hard drive) so I am almost certain it's the source.

5. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +582
    whats it like on direct to Tv from STB?

6. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've just checked my recordings and they were fine,including tonight's.

I'm on Freeview with Black & Gold DVB cards and a similar spec pc to you. Do you get the same problems with all TV viewed through this setup or was it just this one instance?

7. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Do you find the problem occurs when recording US shows or does it effect all recordings.

8. sniff

sniff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's fine, excellent quality. When the camera isn't moving fast, or zoomed in, the image quality is good. Just the fast moving parts, which makes me think it's the MPEG2 encoding. I'm wondering if the s-video input to the PVR 150 is going to be better than composite?

And

Any programs that involve close ups and very fast movement I do. Nigella Lawson is bad, Scrubs is bad in some parts of the show. Cartoons like Justice Leaugue, Batman South Park etc are fine, probably due to the smaller amount of encoding required.

Did anyone have this ghosting affect and then upgrade to an s-video connection?

9. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I recorded lost and watched it back on my 50" tv and it seemed very clear to me I have a maplins RGB>SVIDEO device though.

10. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'd certainly try s-video if you can, I'm sure any improvement in input signal will result in a better output on your tv. As an example, I watch my tv on a 43" plasma. The picture I have from Freeview via DVI-HDMI is streets ahead of my old NTL digital cable service which I ran through a JSTECH RGB>Component converter.