anyone recommend Value Basket or SLR HUT?

gasserPete

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm still on the hunt for a Nikon D7000 and need some recommendations regarding the best deal please.

Value basket seems to be an international company, despite it looking on the face of it to be a UK company. They source products from around the world so I'd be concerned about grey imports and warranty. Also, it appears that if you have to return an item you have to return it to Hong Kong, which goes some way to confirming my suspicions.

From reading a thread on DP review it appears that SLR Hut is a similar shop.

I'm not saying not to order from them, but just be aware of the potential issues. I would rather pay a little extra and buy a UK product for piece of mind with the warranty.

Thank you very much Snerkler for that info', I will steer clear, again much appreciated.

Dan has just informed me he's used Panamoz in the past without any problems, and indeed they get a very good write up on trusted reviews. However, although they are a UK based company they again source the equipment from HK, so you have the warranty problems again, plus the small chance of being caught with import duties although they do reimburse you the import duties should you get caught out.

On the D7000 with kit they're only £50 cheaper than Amazon though, and for the £50 it's not worth the risk imo. Obviously we'll all have different views on that :)

Thanks again, I've had a look at their site and seems they are out of stock of the camera on its own. Like you I'm always a little wary Hence my request for helpful reviews from this all you guys. I'll keep looking but my hopes of the prices dropping since the D7100 appeared are fading. Seems many believe this to be a rather precious model. I'll wait a while longer, usual sods law is there will be a surplus of low offers once i've bought one!
Thanks to both you and Dan for all your interest and assistance.

What about 2nd hand?

Yeah..I keep looking at some on Ebay but wanted to be sure of a reliable buy and a Warranty would make me feel better. I am very tempted though..I'll let you know when I take the plunge.

I didn't really mean from ebay, although that is an option but as you say there's no warranty etc.

Stores like London Camera Exchange and Harrisons Cameras sell 2nd hand equipment, and I believe they have a warranty. Can't find that info right now on LCE but Harrisons definitely has 12M according to their site. I can whole heartedly recommend Harrisons (I have no affiliation with them ;))

Used - Harrison Cameras No D700's in at present though :(

Plenty of D7000 from LCE Second hand cameras, camera part exchange, digital cameras UK, used cameras, photographic shops, England
Some of these state whether they have a warranty or not.

Wex are also now doing warranty on their S/H stuff too - 12 months on Nikon (at least) I seem to remember from a recent email...

Dan has just informed me he's used Panamoz in the past without any problems, and indeed they get a very good write up on trusted reviews. However, although they are a UK based company they again source the equipment from HK, so you have the warranty problems again, plus the small chance of being caught with import duties although they do reimburse you the import duties should you get caught out.

Panamoz are not "a UK based company".

Panamoz are not "a UK based company".
Where've you got that info from? From reviews in trusted reviews and on other photography forums they suggest it's a UK company, or at least have a UK 'office' with a HK agent :confused:

It's on their website:

What is your address?

Our Hong Kong Headquarter Office Address:

Panamoz Electronics
35/F Central Plaza, 18 Harbour Road,
Wanchai
Hong Kong

Panamoz FAQ

From their terms and conditions:

Applicable Law and Venue

This User Agreement and any transactions on this Site shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong applicable to agreements made and entirely to be performed within Hong Kong, without resort to its conflict of law provisions. You agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to these terms and conditions shall be filed only in state or federal court located in Hong Kong, and you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent and submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts over any suit, action or proceeding arising out of this User Agreement."
Panamoz Terms and Conditions / Privacy Policy

It's on their website:

What is your address?

Our Hong Kong Headquarter Office Address:

Panamoz Electronics
35/F Central Plaza, 18 Harbour Road,
Wanchai
Hong Kong

Panamoz FAQ

From their terms and conditions:

Applicable Law and Venue

This User Agreement and any transactions on this Site shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong applicable to agreements made and entirely to be performed within Hong Kong, without resort to its conflict of law provisions. You agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to these terms and conditions shall be filed only in state or federal court located in Hong Kong, and you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent and submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts over any suit, action or proceeding arising out of this User Agreement."
Panamoz Terms and Conditions / Privacy Policy
Thanks, seems a lot of folk have been fooled then :(

it also states: All items purchased from Panamoz Electronics come with our free warranty. Our warranty covers all manufacturer's defects, including all parts and labour costs. Our products are all extremely high quality brand name items from brands such as Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Samsung, and many others. We stand by all the products we sell and we want to give you the protection you deserve. All warranty issues are handled locally in the UK.

it also states: All items purchased from Panamoz Electronics come with our free warranty. Our warranty covers all manufacturer's defects, including all parts and labour costs. Our products are all extremely high quality brand name items from brands such as Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Samsung, and many others. We stand by all the products we sell and we want to give you the protection you deserve. All warranty issues are handled locally in the UK.
Interesting. Some folk have said they've had to send back to HK for warranty problems. I wonder if you send back to the local UK office who then send off to HK?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom