1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone recommend a good 3 megapix camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Harlequin, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after my first digital camera and after endless reading of magazines and browsing, I've narrowed it down to a shortlist of cameras up to about the 3.3 mega pixel range. I was going to go for the Nikon 4300 but it's just a tad out of my budget and probably a bit too good, I've been more than satisfied with the print out quality I've seen from the 3 mega pixel range. As well as wanting the benefit of being able to manipulate and store on my computer I also love traditional print so will be printing them myself too. The ones I've tagged are the Sony DSC-P7 or P71 (I can't see the difference between them, but they're about the same price); the Fuji S304 (which seems very popular); Canon V3 (I've seen superb print-outs from this). Any comments, or additions anyone?
    I was pretty keen on the Nikon 885, which is dead sexy and takes gorgeous pictures, but is supposedly let down by being a bas***d to operate (a well known DP magazine downscored it from a 10/10 to 7/10 on this basis).

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Sony P71 is a good bet at £250 but also check out the Pentax 330GS which is available at around the same price. The Pentax is reviewed in one of this months digital camera magazines (can't remember which one but it has a picture of a guy in a space suit on the front cover).

For a bit less, the Kodak 4330 (3 meg pixel, 3 x optical zoom) is available at £210. It's predecessor, the 3990 (3 meg pixel, 2 x optical zoom) is available from Kodak directly for £199.99 complete with the (normally £50) docking station - might be worth a look. Sticking with Kodak, the 4990 (4 mega pixel, 2 x optical zoom) can be picked up for £250.

Don't forget to check uk.pricerunner.com for the best prices.

Hope this helps a little.

Matt.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    The nikon may be difficult to operate because it breaks the rules, which isnt always a bad thing. That means its harder to operate for the experienced. I find canon easiest purely because I have always used canon and they use the same functional terminology on SLRs making it easy to know what all the controls on a canon do.

Ive never tried it but if its your first digicam you may not find it so hard.

Its well worth spending time in shops playing with these toys and seeing what suits you as an individual.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. Checked out pricerunner and the Sony P71 is a great price, so it looks like it's that one at the moment. Still got a soft spot for the Fuji S304 though. Any thoughts on why I should/shouldn't go for this one?

5. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,ve just had the olympus c-720 uz, 3 mega pixel and 8x optical zoom, well pleased with it ;)

6. No vote Joe

No vote Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just gone through the same thing with too many to choose from. I plumped for the Olympus 300 zoom. It's my first one and I think it's great.

Got a really good deal with askdirect, £280 including the accessory pack of recharge batts + charger, 64 mb card and a case.

I'm no expert, just a satisfied novice.

Good Luck

:D

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I second (or third) the Sony P71. Excellent camera. I've had one for about six months now. Awesome results.

8. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ... and a third for the Sony P71.

Just got one for the wife for Christmas, excellent!

9. Harlequin

Harlequin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for all the advice guys. went for the P71 in the end, from the place that came up cheapest in pricerunner.com. it appears to be a sony outlet, but the advert is unclear exactly what is in the package. some of the adverts mention charger/software/memory stick etc included ... this one doesn't. the rest I can live without for now, but surely it would have to come with the software, right? that's gonna be hard to pic up seperately, or is it?

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    The manual normally says what youd expect to find in the box!

Have you tried asking another dealer like PC world or Jessops and seeing what you should get?

11. Harlequin

Harlequin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    spoke to em (probably should have done before buying really!) but everything's included. just not a particularly well designed website. they're out of stock at the mo as understandably at this price the P71 is proving rather popular.

12. Life_Saver

Life_Saver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm quite happy with my Sony P5 (3.3 MP) ..

I think the new model is called P7

13. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It'll come boxed with everything you need to get started, 2 Nimh AA batteries and charger and a 16mb memory stick.