anyone recommend a double glazing supplier?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by reevesy, Jul 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,185
    hi all,

was looking in someones thread and they posted a link to a double glazing supplier

....cant find the link now so wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

...nothing too flash...but not cheap cr** either

thanks

2. PsyVision

PsyVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
  3. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,185
    cheers

...yeah that looks like the site I saw..must have been your thread

well....was thinking I'd maye have a go fitting myself...never done one before...but I'm pretty handy with the old diy...so I've been told.....

cant be that hard....bit of drilling.a few hammer fixing and away with the mastic gun.....well unless I've missed something

2 tilt and open windows...maybe a door later.

the tilt windows have failed...got condensation etc inside.............was thinking of getting someone round for a quote for possible repair....but if the price is close to replacing I might as well do that.

loads of good/bad experiences of repairs on the tinternet...as usual so ...not sure what to do

4. PsyVision

PsyVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    You could just find someone that will supply the glass. You can then just pop the beading off and then put the new panel in.

Windows were not hard for me to fit at all.

5. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,185
    yeah I did think about that....took the rubber seal off...couldn't see any way of getting the glass out.....the frame looks like it might be split....tried with a screw driver ..but thing seems solid..

look at a few you tube vids...seems some can be split using a plastic bolster chisel looking thing and a bit of brute force.

another thing was .....some say these units have a vacuum between the glass.?

don't think a a new window would be too hard to fit....only thing is to get the measurements exactly right when ordering!

had thought about getting a couple of companies out to see what they say.

one turn and tilt window for my approx. size was around 170 quid... I think ..from the company you linked.

6. Russa

Russa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    A double glazed unit costs about £40 per sqm. Takes 5-10 mins to replace each one.

7. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,185
    did email the linked supplier ..

but they don't do just the sealed glass units

..tried to get a local quote for a rough price but they want to come round and quote

...and probably try to tap me up o replace the whole ouse

8. Russa

Russa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    You need to go to a glazing supplier. My local place will only let you place an order in person and instant payment.

9. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,185
    thanks

yeah there are some suppliers on the bay with some good prices...will only post small ones.

....seems to much could go wrong distance buying these though

10. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    A reputable supplier will come round and measure up the ones you want replacing and then either quote to supply and fit or just supply. They should give you a written quote for the work and if they fit they may give a longer guarantee.

I have had quite a few of mine replaced now as the original units had condensation on them from failing over time. They give you a price, take it or leave no pressure sales etc from my local ones, they will do a better price if you are having more fitted generally as the labour element of getting to your house etc will be less. Obviously there are some that still will fleece you.

Its not a vacuum either, if it was the glass would crack and be constantly trying to absorb the atmosphere. It's an old wives' tale.

The condensation failure occurs because the seals over time fail, and the silica absorbing "balls" in the strips become saturated.

You can obviously do you itself if you found out how to extract the unit. Some companies stuck them in because the removal beading was on the outside (great idea for burglars).

You need to remember to measure the actual pane of glass which will go behind the beading.

If you get somebody into do it and they measure wrong its their fault. If you buy some of the net then its yours if they don't fit.

11. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,185
    thanks...think the ones I saw on the bay were filled with argon gas

yeah intended to try and stick with local ....upstairs look easyish to split..now I've watched a vid of someone trying to do it.....was also thinking of getting the front door replaced so i'll eventually get someone round for a look..

got other fish to fry now..............pricing up materials to rip out old stud work and sound proof down stairs.

12. cjard

cjard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Price for new rubber gasket too, cheap as chips and essential to getting new panes to fit quickly and easily if your old stuff has gone hard and turned knackered