Anyone recommend a decent Toshiba HD TV?

waldopepper

We've been meaning to take the plunge into the High Definition world for a while now and I've just found out that because my company works with them, I can get a humungous discount on Toshiba TVs.

Have any of you guys got any recommendations for Toshiba HD TVs? We're looking for something around 42-46in or so with a couple of HDMI sockets, to sit on a stand. To use with either Sky or Virgin Media HD box as well as a 360 and PS3 for BlueRay. I'm not sure what the difference is between LCDs and plasmas these days.

We're also looking for a smaller flatscreen to mount on our bedroom wall, with a Freeview built in - probably up to 32ins.

How do Toshiba compare to Sony, Philips or Pioneer - these were the 3 brands we were considering before we heard this news. All of our TVs and our home cinema have previously been Philips as we've never had a problem with any of them.

ta
W

SDMDAM

We've been meaning to take the plunge into the High Definition world for a while now and I've just found out that because my company works with them, I can get a humungous discount on Toshiba TVs.

Have any of you guys got any recommendations for Toshiba HD TVs? We're looking for something around 42-46in or so with a couple of HDMI sockets, to sit on a stand. To use with either Sky or Virgin Media HD box as well as a 360 and PS3 for BlueRay. I'm not sure what the difference is between LCDs and plasmas these days.

We're also looking for a smaller flatscreen to mount on our bedroom wall, with a Freeview built in - probably up to 32ins.

How do Toshiba compare to Sony, Philips or Pioneer - these were the 3 brands we were considering before we heard this news. All of our TVs and our home cinema have previously been Philips as we've never had a problem with any of them.

ta
W

I have used Toshiba TVs for years and have always liked them and have not had any problems with them. I currently have a 32WLT58 and for the last 18 months it has been problem free. The first set I got had an issue but John Lewis swapped that right away.

I am currently looking at getting the 37X3030D for my new conservatory. This also comes in a 42" version and there is a review of it here... http://www.*/Toshiba-42X3030D/

There is a new line of Toshiba LCD coming soon, the z series, details of which can be found on Toshiba's website here... http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/pages/lcdplasma?opendocument

The main changes from the X series is 100 (120) Hz active vision (which will reduce motion blur) and 1080P 24fps with 5:5 pulldown (which will reduce "judder").

There are loads of threads here with information if you run a search.

Cheers,

waldopepper

I have used Toshiba TVs for years and have always liked them and have not had any problems with them. I currently have a 32WLT58 and for the last 18 months it has been problem free. The first set I got had an issue but John Lewis swapped that right away.

I am currently looking at getting the 37X3030D for my new conservatory. This also comes in a 42" version and there is a review of it here... http://www.*/Toshiba-42X3030D/

There is a new line of Toshiba LCD coming soon, the z series, details of which can be found on Toshiba's website here... http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/pages/lcdplasma?opendocument

The main changes from the X series is 100 (120) Hz active vision (which will reduce motion blur) and 1080P 24fps with 5:5 pulldown (which will reduce "judder").

There are loads of threads here with information if you run a search.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info everyone. Flat screens are still improving with each new model quite a lot so it makes sense to now go for a top of the range model and the Z series sounds like that fits the bill - also with 3 HMDI sockets it should cope with all my needs for the time being!

I might wait until these are released and see how much they are.

lostbok

currently Tosh is stuck with the old WLT68 series: 100Hz (M100) motion blur reduction... but 720P and showing it's 18month old design quite a bit: poor black levels, suspect colours and fairly poor picture scaling from lower quality sources (something that the Philips sets normally do VERY well).

wait for the Z-series...

Modern design, 100Hz, 1080P, LOTS and LOTS of feautes and hopefully better processing of SD sources... (even if you're using SkyHD / V+ with HDMI out... the picture is still essentially SD for most channels).

Rocky09

Standard Member
The WLT68 series is excellent. Styling is classy and it is one of the best at handling SD pictures on the markket at present. See review..

Attachments

• Toshiba 42WLT68 first test.pdf
    447.3 KB · Views: 156

snelly

Hi waldo,

I was also in this position (my company does a lot of work with Tosh) so I guess you get access to the 'toreward' site.

Hi waldo,

I was also in this position (my company does a lot of work with Tosh) so I guess you get access to the 'toreward' site as well - perhaps you work for the same people as me...

One piece of advice - see if you can get a contact at tosh to order it for you as they get even more discount - try and find out who your toshiba partner manager is etc. You are allowed to order 3 or 4 telly's per year so there is a good chance someone in tosh will order it for you even more cheaply. Delivery is cheap too @ £12 which is 'nice'!

I plumped for the 42x3030 and I have been really please dwith the whole experience. Toshiba direct were a pleasure to deal with and the TV as far as I can tell is perfect. No pixel issues, no banding clouding or anything that people normally claim for LCD.

Pound for pound it comes up very well against all the others because of the discount (at least it did for me) For the same price I would have had to get a non 1080 set (which for me was a non starter). Some of the sets at first appear to have better blacks but often this is because they use a more glossy coating screen. This gives rich blacks but you lose some detail AND it is very reflective if you have a window or light source near the screen. If you can get an equiv spec sony/philips etc. at near the same price then consider carefully but if for you the toshiba seems a bargain then I would say give a strong recommendation that you buy it.

Tim

waldopepper

Hi waldo,

I was also in this position (my company does a lot of work with Tosh) so I guess you get access to the 'toreward' site.

Tim

Ah thanks, not sure how the discount works but I was told it's 40%! Does that sound like the same scheme? The Z series sounds like it's worth waiting for so should I assume that it might be a couple of grand when released like the WLT68 was originally?

Also is there a minimum contrast ratio you should aim for in a large HD TV?

dognosh

get yourself the 42X3030 (I paid £850 recently) and with your discount you can have it for peanuts and save yourself lots of dough:smashin:
then next year buy yourself the top of the range Toshiba(probably the ZZZ series by then:D) and take this one in to your bedroom:cool:

lostbok

widge - be aware that there's a LOT of different ways of quoting contrast ratios... the most obvious being the new "dynamic" contrast ratio which leaves the manufacturer a lot of room for exageration...

If you're watching sports... or anything with a lot of movement, you will probably regret getting a 50Hz screen like the X series.

The 37" Philips 1080p 100Hz screens are out and they're around the £1400-£1200 mark...

Sony's 40" 1080P 100Hz offering is £1600....

I'd expect the Tosh 37" (Z series) to compete with the Philips (i.e. cost less) and be similar to the Sony for equivalent models....

With your discount, I'd keep my powder dry for the top-spec Z series in whatever size suits your room....

Remember - the higher the spec... the more you're saving ;)

If it look liek this offer will expire, then the X-series isn't a bad screen if you get it set up well - motion handling is pretty reasonable for a 50Hz screen... but in a different ballpark to even the budget 100Hz screens....

waldopepper

Hi waldo,

Yes, just, I got a login a couple of weeks ago - great discounts!

Also noticed today that the Z series has just been added - 42Z3030D for £817 when it's around £1300-£1400 online elsewhere! I thought there would be more of a jump-up from the X to Z series but there's only £200 difference. I think this is a no-brainer :clap:

Also £1300 for the 52 inch! No wonder it's already out of stock.

Thanks for all the info guys.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom