1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone recomend a good TFT?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by General Panic, Nov 19, 2004.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all
    Taking delivery of my new base unit from Mesh in 10 days time and wasn't going to bother repaceing my 2 year old LG 17" TFT but now having second thoughts.
    I would only upgrade to a larger screen to needs to be 19". It's also exclusivly for gaming so needs to be 16 or 12ms and needs to have a DVI input. :laugh: Not asking too much am i ?
    My budget would stretch to £400 at most. Have looked on E-buyer etc and can find machines with a 25ms and everything else i want or 12ms and no DVI.

Anyone got such a machine or know someone who has?

Cheers

Panic

PS i know someone or everyone might advise i'm better with CRT for games but i have a serious lack of desktop space and having used a TFT for the last 2 years would rather stick with this technology.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Seems to me that DVI input goes hand in hand with 25 ms - I bought an Acer 19 inch from ebuyer that has a 16ms refresh for £265 + delivery. The model with dvi was £100 more and only 25ms. Benq and Sharp do some cracking monitors so you might find what you want there.

BTW I really like my Acer - Excellent for work & play (HL2 is stunning)

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the reply Wilber , is that the Acer 1912s you got as i have just put that on my short list.
    25ms for games is probably going to be ok as that's what i've had for the last couple of years i just thought it was time to improve things all round.
    I did find a Benq just now on E-buyer , the FP937s at £390 with DVI and 12ms which looks quite good.
    I really need the DVI input as i have my plasma screen hooked up to the analoge port on my video card which leaves me DVI for my pc screen.

4. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a Viewsonic VX910 from here

£358.32 inc VAT.

19", 16ms response time, DVI and VGA input.

I'm loving it.

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    MRW , can you confirm this monitor is fixed in position as in it doesn't tilt or swivel on the stand?
    I'm sure i read this in a review and the reviewer thought for this type of display a bit of a bad omission.

Cheers

6. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    GP,

It does tilt (up and down) but does not swivel (left to right) - you'll have to move the base.

It looks great, and HL2 looks amazing with the bright scenes, not a hint of ghosting, and a lot better than my Samsung 17" CRT monitor.

If I'm to be perfectly honest, (and without being able to compare this monitor to others) if you're not sitting directly in front of the screen then the blacks seem to appear more as dark greys, but I don't know if this is a drawaback of TFT screens in general or not.

Still, the VX910 is significantly brighter and crisper than my old CRT and considering the fact that I looked into buying a monitor with your specifications for about 3 weeks, I am delighted with my VX910!

Considering the price, and the 16ms (claimed) response time and the DVi input, I'd give this monitor a 9/10 rating.

mrw

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I've read the acer is only 16ms and it's got a good contrast ratio, was tempted to get that for a while but am happy with my wall mounted 21inch (it's one way to get deskspace back :)).
    Looks like a good deal as it's one of the cheapest ones there even cheaper than some many 17inch TFT's.

I'm thinking after new year there might be another big reduction in price if enough TFT's are not sold this christmas. They already have more than they can sell, so i'm putting it off until its near £150 for a decent 17 then i'll invest.

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sorry for the late reply - I have the 1912s.

Have you considered a DVI to VGA adapter?

9. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No probs. Have not considered an adaptor at all. Not enough lateral thinking on my part.
    So such an adaptor exists? Connect adaptor to my DVI port on video card then vga monitor lead to ordinary monitor? Giving me 2 analogue connections to my video card? :confused: Have i got that right?

All i would miss out on then would be a possible picture quality drop my not using DVI?

I will away and investigate further. My brother tells me that's my problem though , "too much investigating. Just go and buy a bloody monitor" is his advice. :)

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  11. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for that. One of those would certainly do the trick. Like you i'm crap at the male/female thing , out with the torch and round the back of the pc for inspection.

Cheers
    Panic

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    For the picture quality loss, I doubt you'd notice any difference especialy as the resolution will be pretty high. The only thing a DVI gives you really is automatic settings, so there's no need to mess with the size of the picture or its angle or anything. Much, like what you would get with a normal CRT in this regard. Remeber also that TFT's pixel double(ish) when you use a smaller resolution than optimal, which is usualy it's maximum.

13. bungler

bungler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Overclockers have this Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" 8ms monitor on pre order for £411 + del. I think it has tilt and swivel as well. Also comes with the dvi cable.

14. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Blimey , 8ms. I've not seen that low before. Bit more than i was going to spend but does look ideal for gaming though the viewing angle seems a bit narrower than most.
    Still looking but this one does look nice.

Cheers

15. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OcUk are expensive generally.
    Have defo seen it online for £399.

16. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm on holiday this week and am going to order the Viewsonic VX912b in about an hours time.
    I phoned OC the other day and the Hyundai according to them will be another week or 2 till it arrives at the earliest so decided to go for the Viewsonic.
    In my scouting for the Viewsonic i actually found OverClockers about the best price.

Thanks all for the advice and recemmondations.

New PC and new monitor , Xmas has come early for me this year :laugh:

Panic

17. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Something to keep in mind:

That viewsonic has an LCD matrix of 1280x1024, which mean that at any thing else other than that it will have to resample the image!

If you're using higher it's not an issue (actuall it's a useless waste) - BUT if you're using lower it will be!

What this really means in gaming terms: you need a very good graphics-card (and CPU) to be able to play all the lastest games (HL2 and the rest!) at 1280x1024 !!!

So if you're going for that monitor in a gaming system don't skimp on the other components!

Just my thought!

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,333
    I must admit I'm tempted by the Viewsonic VX912b, it looks like I may have to get one :)

19. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    MicroDirect are supposed to have this beast in my sweaty hands before 10am to-morrow morning for the princely sum of £388.55.
    I will post my findings to-morrow if you wish?

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,333
    Yes please, I would be very interested to know what you make of it :thumbsup:

21. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just my two pence worth - I am a freelance draughtsman by trade which involves using CAD. I have used LCD monitors ever since they were launched (saves the eyes!)and I have found the Iiyama range of LCD monitors constantly outperform other brands by far - I dont only use CAD, I play games and watch some movies on LCD monitors.
    The only other LCD monitor that has come close is a Viewsonic I saw recently (was a 20" model). Ive never been that impressed with BenQ LCDs even though they tend to get good reviews.
    Just thought I would mention Iiyama, as no one has yet. The IIyama 20.1" ProLite E511S-B is the work of the Gods ;-) (and multi award winning)

22. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    what you say is true - about the eyes i mean!

having said that: if you where to spend what a 19/20" LCD costs on a CRT monitor you'd be able to get a screen with a refresh of 100hz (even 120hz!) - at that rate eye strain is less - but still LCD might just be a tad better in that aspect!

other that that - CRT monitors are better and that (unfortunately - i wish it was otherwise) is not an opinion!!

23. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I think you will find it is still an opinion!

My Hercules 17" LCD is far better than my old Viewsonic 17" CRT I used at home and the Mitsubushi 21" CRT I used at work by miles. Images are crisper and sharper, my eyes don't strain and the amount of room I save on my desk rocks! I got one at work now as well and far prefer it to my old 21".

My personal opinion is that CRTs on the whole are far worse in many respects.

24. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I used to suffer from migraine when I still used CRTs. Once LCDs were launched I have rarely suffered from migraine at all. But like you say, I havent used 100hz+ CRTS so I cant compare. Obviously the big downside with CRT is sheer size! Oh yer, I remember now, CRTs were crap geometry wise...

25. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well spend as much money on a CRT as you would on an LCD and you won't get eye strain and you'll get a superior product into the bargain. Jesus, if you pay peanuts gou get monkeys, right? Spend next to nothing on a monitor and next to nothing is what you will get. You get what you pay for, simple as that. £420 buys the Iiyama VM Pro 514, a 21" beast and arguably the best CRT monitor out there. It's big I know but its performance is simply mindblowing. 1920x1440@90Hz? My brother has one and it is absolutely stunning on games. Failing that, save £170 and get the VM Pro 454, it's 19" but it'll blow any LCD away at any price.

Any 17" or above CRT monitor worth it's salt should do 1024x768@100Hz. Any that don't are not considered when I look for a monitor. Now that situation is being made worse by manufacturers basically destroying all 17" monitors so that thet can barely resolve at 85Hz, and in fact most are 75Hz! This is where the eye strain comes in, more flicker means more fatigue.

I sit in front of my Iiyama Vision Paster Pro 454 and I have never, ever had any eye fatigue. This monitor resolves 1600x1200@100Hz and it only costs £250. No LCD gets close. NONE. They can't match the blacks, they can't match the whites and they certainly can't match the colour fidelity. People who make comments about CRT monitors being worse clearly skimped or didn't set them up properly. Everybody I know who considered buying an LCD took one look at this monitor and bought it instead because they realised that at £250 it was a country mile better than the £400 they were about to blow on the new, so called fast response (12ms) LCD monitor.

Sniper is right - it is not an opinion, If you put aside the (mild) geometry isues and space, a good CRT beats any LCD at any price. The Iiyama I have sat here is the living proof.

Oh, and please read a bit more about response times for christs sake. 8ms is from 100% off to 100% on, it is not the average or typical response time. How often do you think a 100% shift in a pixel colour happens in real life? How about hardly ever! Try half tones. How does 22.5ms or worse grab you? Don't believe me? Look on the site below and see the reality of '8ms response time' This is why in my opinion LCD's are no good for games and I cannot see myself buying one for some time yet. I can see the motion blurring on them and it makes me physically sick, even on the fastest (12ms) LCD monitors.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20041123/index.html

26. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Nice to see another Iiyama fan ;-)
    Although I have never seen any motion blurring on any of my Iiyama LCDs I have owned. But I may take a look at the larger size Iiyama CRTs for my next purchase. (*mental note to self - must buy bigger desk*)

27. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,333
    I was originally looking at the Iiyama VM Pro 514 but was put off by some bad reviews on Ebuyer from people who had bought this monitor. I think my main consideration is the desk space as I currently have 2 19" monitors on my desk.

28. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,505
    Same here :smashin:

It is a well respected name in the industry.
    Although LCD have come on I still think the best pictures are on the old tried and tested CRT.

29. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I would love to have enough space for a large CRT screen but like many i don't. For similar money to a top of the range 21" CRT you can get a reasonable/good 19" TFT with the same screen size as the CRT.
    Regarding screen blur , i've yet to see any that would spoil a game for me. Owned 2 LG's and a NEC all 15 or 17" models and use them at work as well with no problems.

I've not seen a Viewsonic in operation but i'm not worried about being disappointed in the quality to-morrow and still having space around my work station with a larger screen is a huge incentive for me to stay with the TFT format. (Not to mention not having a hernia when my screen arrives and lugging it up five flights of stairs)

30. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ive actually been convinced by laurel & Hardy and after a bit of research think I will go for a 22" CRT and give it a try rather than spend another £700 on a good 21" TFT.