Anyone reccomend some wife friendly speakers!!??

Hallsy

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, so technically she's not my wife!!
I currently have a pair of Black Eltax Liberty 5+, a black Acoustic Energy Aegis centre, and beech gale 3060B bipolar rears.
The gf keeps saying that she hates the look of the Eltax!! I agree they are not pretty but don't sound too bad. As a compromise I think I'm going to start looking at some other speakers.
Can anyone recommend something that looks nice (to suit a modern living room), either beech/cherry if conventional, or silver satelites.
I am considering the Canton CD1 package, but am worried that this won't sound as good with music as my current setup?? (Yam RXV640 amp)
Or any other floorstanders that aren't as deep as the Eltax (33cm which I didin't think was too bad!!). She has said dhe likes the apperance of AE Aegis EVO 3's, but not sure that I can stretch, what is avergae price for these now? £350 ish?
Cheers guys.

Canton CD100s then! Lurvely...

What's your budget Hallsy?

I've got the Mordaunt-Short Avant 906, 905c, 903 and MS309 setup and it's excellent with music, nice finish, unobtrusive fronts (they're relatively small) - although the centre is huuuuge!

Well, probably only £350, maybe £400 if I bought a new front three or complete setup as I would recoup some by selling my old gear.
If just a new pair of nicer floorstanders then prob £300 tops, but I'd rather not spend quite that much.
I'd love some CD100's but too expensive!! Canton CD1 package works out around £300 delivered doesn't it, or slightly less.

I got my evo 3s for £250 from hi-spek.com
if you have the centre then you might as well get the floorstanders to match, you really need to match the front speakers for the best sonic performance

Well, I have an aegis centre, not EVO aegis centre, also it's black so if I bought some Evo 3's in a lighter colour I'd really need to buy an Evo centre to match as well with may well cost a little too much.
Just thinking in my head that maybe I could go for 2xCD100 and a CD50 for front 3 and leave the Gale bipolars at rear, not sure what this would cost yet though. Also would I be lacking bass without a sub?

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/diamond9/

How do these look? There are 4-5 color choices I believe. Mine you can see, they sound really nice for their price, about 170€/pair = 130£? Curvy cabinets with maple look small for their size, don't need a sub necessarily, at least a bad one. Standmounts sound usually better and are cheaper. I don't trust in those 'speaker-sets'..

Btw, these kick cra* out of Eltaxes and their boom, also a bit warmish sound fits perfectly your Yam.

Diamond 9's are meant to be a nice speaker, not sure how the other half would feel about stands for standmounts though as they are still fairly stocky. We'll see, I'll prob have a little listen round some demo rooms soon.
Just checked tenspot and 2xCD100 and 1xCD50 would be about £360 plus del, so possibly a little expensive for me, but would defianetly sound good. Just not sure how they'd be without a sub.

I seem to remember some people have used 3x CD50s...

I'm not sure if it's cheaper but you could get three CD50s - then if you want to upgrade later move two round the back and replace with shiny CD100s!

The CD50s will wall-mount vertically beside the TV - not sure about stands for them though.

If you can, have a listen to the CD1 sats though - they weren't quite a "big" enough sound for me musically but they were the most "musical" satellites I listened to - surprisingly bigger sounding than they look.

Cheers Mango, this is what I was worreid about with the CD1's, just weren't sure if they'd be up to giving a full sound with music, especially as I prefer to use stereo mode for music listening so only two speakers (plus sub).
I have considered 3xCD50 and it would be a little cheaper. Trouble is we keep moving the room around so wall mounting could be a problem. Will have to settle on a layout!!
Is there a need for a sub with this setup though? I would probab;y buy one in the future, but wondred how it would sound in the meantime?

Monitor Audio radius speakers should be "wife friendly" ;)

MA Radius would be lovely, but too expensive for me.
Missus has said she quite likes standmounts as they don't looky as big due to stands, so these are on the list also!!
Think I'm going to take a look in Sevenoaks over the weekend and try to get some ideas.
So far have been thinking of maybe Evo 3's, Tannoy Fusions 3's, Mission M34i(?), any others in this bracket I should consider?
Or Evo 1's, MA Bronze B2, Epos ELS3, Maybe Mission M32's (but thuink they look a alittle odd from pics) maybe Diamond 9.1's (again, not sure on appearances)
Any others I should consider?
Bearing in mind this would be using Gale 3060B bipolars for rears, and for now an AE Aegis centre, although depending on how much I spent on mains I would prob match the centre to mains.
Or would I be better off just buying Canton CD1 package?

http://www.artcoustic.com/

not sure it fits your budget, but these hit all the spots!! Sound great, look great (I've got some- and highly recommeded)

Adrenochrome said:

I must admit, I had considered the setup that you advertise, but seeing as you're in glasgow and I'm down south pick up would not be an option and I guessed that p&p may be a little steep.

Those artcoustic speakers look nice, although I expect them to be pricey. Any ideas on prices, suppliers?

Going to sevenoaks at weeeknd, although am I right in thinking they don't stock Tannoy speakers? So I wouldn't be able to demo the Fusion's.

I am surprised Kef Q Series have not been suggested. They look particularly good in Dark Apple finish.
Dave

Would love the Quad 11L's, but unfortunately by the time I had bought the centre too match it would be a little over budget.
I had considered Kef Q1, but weren't sure how they faired in the bass department. Is there a larger standmount in the range or does it jump up to the florrstander?

Hallsy said:
Would love the Quad 11L's, but unfortunately by the time I had bought the centre too match it would be a little over budget.
I had considered Kef Q1, but weren't sure how they faired in the bass department. Is there a larger standmount in the range or does it jump up to the florrstander?

Afaik the Q1's are the largest standmount in the Q-series range.

Just found the site of hifi confidential. They seem pretty cheap, anyone got any experience of these?
They are selling Tannoy R2 for £199.99, Superfi have them for £299!! They look a decent fs. Also they have Sensys 2 for £250. Both look rather nice.

You might get away with the Wharfdale Diamond 9 centre with the Quads, their sound is quite similar tonally, although the L Centre is a lot more transparent and natural.

Hallsy said:
I must admit, I had considered the setup that you advertise, but seeing as you're in glasgow and I'm down south pick up would not be an option and I guessed that p&p may be a little steep.

Depending on how far south you are i would be willing to meet you half way.

It would still be a fair old journey to be fair, plus I'm not necessarily out to replace my rears. I will either stick with bipolars, or would change them to sats if I went for a sub/sat package. Haven't really got the right layout to put rear bookshelfs on stands.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom