1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone rate the Samsung SP46L3HX

Discussion in 'TVs' started by neilmcl, Mar 3, 2005.

1. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I'm leaning towards the Sagem HD-D45 but I saw the Sammy SP46L3HX in Currys today and was quite impressed with the PQ not to mention the price - £1799 incl stand.

Anyone rate this as a contender, how does it compare with its big brother the SP50L7HX. It seems to have most of the same components although it is using the HD3 chip I believe.

JL have repositioned their Sagem HD-D45 in Nottingham to be at the correct height now and also connected it up directly to a Sky+ box but I wasn't too impressed with some channels.

2. mearsy007

mearsy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, at the beginning of january i bought a Samsung 42" plasma coz it looked cool and was led to believe it was a terrific tv by the salesman! To say i was dissapointed was an understatement. After much shouting i got my money back and researched the whole tv thing in more detail on this site.
    After looking with my own eyes i chose the Samsung SP46, it was delivered 2 weeks ago and i think its amazing! and i only sit about 6-7 feet away, and the Denon 2910 connected through HDMI is fantastic.Thats my opinion anyway. :thumbsup:

3. ian127

ian127

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my SP46L3HX since early january after cosidering a DLP rear projection set for almost 2 years. I saw the american version with the HD3 chip in June 04 in new jersey and was very impressed. I did consider the tosh but the width of the set ruled it out. Don,t be put off by people saying that the HD3 chip is not as sharp as the HD2+, the HD3 is smoother as the vertical mirrors control 2 pixels each and overlap each to give a cinemagraphic picture excellent for DVD,s , also the mirrors tilt and reset at twice the speed of the HD2,and HD2+. On various trips to the US i have seen quite a few DLP sets from companies that have not entered the UK market ie Panasonic,sharp etc and to me you still cannot beat Samsung. They sell the most worldwide have been at it the longest and use the best of parts in their light engines (carl ziess lenses) I am sure if you do decide to buy one you wont be disappionted. Sorry if the attached picture is not very good,but i couldn,t use flash as it bounched off the screen. Gladiator (dvd) via Denon 2910 via hdmi cable.

Attached Files:

4. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You will not be disappointed with the SP46. The PQ is simply amazing and I compared it with the Panasonic Viera (plasma), Pioneer (plasma) and the Toshiba (DLP). I would say the Tosh is on par with it however the Sam looks way better (sort of plasma-like from the front) whilst the Toshiba looks IMO plain ugly with those speaker ears. Don't be misled with HD3 - its the whole thing that makes up the TV not just the chipset.

I believe this model is not widely available in the UK otherwise we would be seeing much more of it on this forum.

5. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am also interested in this set but can't find it to view.
    Does anyone know where I can see this set in South Wales?

6. trythat

trythat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had mine for a few weeks now, and I love it, soon got used to the size, I personally still prefer the picture compared to the Tosh. Plus the Tosh didn't fit the space I had :) The Samsung does look more Plasma like because of not having the speakers on the side.

I hooked mine upto a Samsung HD-745 DVD and must say the DVDs are excellent, watched Incredibles and you could see the individual hairs on his eyebrows. :)

If anyone from Wales fancies seeing one, they've got them on display at Bristol at the Cribs causeway, can't remember which junction off the M5 though.

7. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks trythat

I was only at JL Cribbs week last thursday and they didn't have it set up then.
    Oh well, I'll go back there and compare it against the Sagem and the 50" Samsung. I didn't like the look of the Sagem because of the 'frosting' on the screen that really stuck out to me when viewing bright scenes.

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Sorry, didn't quite understand, Are you saying that JL are stocking the SP46L3HX.

9. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't want to be the only one to present a negative view but there's always the other side of the coin.

On my particular set S/N 43083HDXB00020N, model No. SP46L3HXX/XEC and Made in Hungary I have a major issue with a very noisy colour wheel (high pitched whine) and also an issue with screen geometry.

Essentially when viewing DVDs that are not full screen widescreen I have a dip downwards in the centre of the screen on the top which varies between 0.5cm and 0.8cm depending on the movie when compared to the measurement at the left and right extremes. This means you get a noticeable dip. Even when the movie is full widescreen whilst you don't see the dip, you can see the bending effect if text is at the top in the picture.

Otherwise in terms of PQ its excellent, with HDMI and RGB from Sky Dig..... and in terms of looks its very smart. Onboard speakers are fairly impressive all things considered.

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I've heard that DLPs don't suffer Geometry issues as the picture, which after all is projected on to the screen, can't be influenced by a magnetic field in the same way as traditional CRTs can. I think you might have a duff set NPM108.

11. trythat

trythat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, got mine from Currys

12. trythat

trythat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't notice that I never mentioned the store, sorry, it was in Curry's that they had the Tosh, the Samsung 46 and the Sagem 50 (running from the usual pc)
    Plus of course a shed load of Plasma's

13. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi neilmcl

I got the wrong end of the stick I thought the SP46 was in stock at Cribbs, but it isn't. I just rang them and they have the 50 inch on display but not the 46. I did manage to see the 46 on display in Currys in Merthyr. I tried a number of dvds on it via a cheap and nasty dvd player via a poor scart lead. The results were amazing. I will be purchasing the set for my parents as long as my father likes the styling. Saying that my mother liked the styling of the 50". We also compared the picture quality of the 46" Sammy to the 43" Pioneer PDP-435XDE next to it by playing the same dvds via the same dvd player. The Sammy beat it hands down. Ok I only played with the setup of both sets for a few minutes but the quality of the sammy outshone that of the Pioneer to my eyes and that of my wife and mother.

14. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe its Convergence problems that they don't suffer from, I quote a response from LV426 on this forum:

" What you are describing is poor geometry. Poor geometry on a CRT device is quite common, and can often be improved with service menu tweaks. In the case of DLP RP devices (or LCD for that matter), it can only occur as a result of poor optics or some mechanical misalignment of components; it isn't electrical/electronic in nature and hence isn't a matter for a service menu tweak or other electronic setup issue. And I have to say that the majority of DLP RPs I've seen (in the likes of Curry$, Dixon$, Com€t etc) have had some bowing evident on one or more sides of the image."