anyone projecting from their coffee table?

loz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than mount the projector permantely on the ceiling - as her who must be obeyed isnt happy with that - I wonder how many folks here simply put the projector on the coffee table?

Many of the brochures for the types of projector I am considering for around a grand typically show projectors being used like this.

It won't be used for day to day viewing, mainly films, perhaps some sports, or occassional TV program that warrants a bigger picture. So I plan on just popping it in the sideboard when not in use or just keeping it on the lower shelf of the coffer table (its a very big coffee table, with big robust shelf), and might leave a DVD player there alongside it, to keep cable length short.

How quick/easy is it to set up projectors like Sanyo PLV-Z3 or Panasonic AE700 in terms of adjusting keystone etc.

I would likely have a permanently mounted screen (as that wouldn't look so bad as a projector dangling from the ceiling).

Yes, see my pictures in the last couple of pages on the lets see yours thread.

Very easy to set up a PJ with lens shift.

Cap :)

I had mine on a moveable trolley. The player was underneath. At first it was great but then I noticed the picture could have been made much better without using the keystone.

I know use a Hi-Fi shelf unit and have the PJ on top of it.

Is lens shift better than keystone?

loz

If you can build (or have built) a custom table with the projector permanently set up I'd go for that over the 'plug and play' option if you can.

We've done a few tables with games consoles and the like in - makes for quite a tidy set-up.

Best regards

Joe

Is a good compromise to fix the projector to the ceiling and pack the wife away when not in use?
...PJ

or fix the wife to the ceiling?

nwgarratt said:
I had mine on a moveable trolley. The player was underneath. At first it was great but then I noticed the picture could have been made much better without using the keystone.

I know use a Hi-Fi shelf unit and have the PJ on top of it.

Is lens shift better than keystone?

Yep lens shift is supposed to better than key stone correction.

loz said:
Rather than mount the projector permantely on the ceiling - as her who must be obeyed isnt happy with that - I wonder how many folks here simply put the projector on the coffee table?

How quick/easy is it to set up projectors like Sanyo PLV-Z3 or Panasonic AE700 in terms of adjusting keystone etc.

I've got a Hitachi TX-100 and it's very quick to set up on a table.
Lift off shelf
Put on table
Zoom and focus
Probably takes about 10-15 seconds. The lens shift is good so I don't use keystone at all.
I think the AE-700 and Z3 will be similar, but it's probably worth checking.

I put all the cables into one of those Ikea cable-wrap tubes so it just has a single white umbilical.

WonkyEwok,

Where are your DVD Player and Amp in relation to the projector?
Any problems with a long cable run - what connection do you use?

(though I am thinking of leaving the DVD player on the shelf in the coffee table anyway)

loz said:

(though I am thinking of leaving the DVD player on the shelf in the coffee table anyway)

Most people will be using component x3 from PJ to DVD Player so keeping them close together will eliminate the need for long cables, however, you'll then need long cables from the DVD to the Amp/Reciever if thats not going to be in the same location.

Personally speaking I'd keep the player and amp together presumably near the TV (for everyday viewing) and run component from the PJ to the player.
Long runs of 10/15 mtrs are not generally a problem with good quality cables.

I stick mine on the coffee table when I use it, very easy, I just run the power and the component cables across the floor. A bit of keystone correction and the image is still excellent.

Once I'm finished and it's been allowed to cool for a few hours, it get's packed up carefully till the next time.

Keeps the wife happy as she won't let me ceiling mount it.

loz said:
WonkyEwok,

The amp and player are in the same set of Ikea (I think we can see a pattern here...) free standing shelves (Ivar. A bit rustic, but cheap. What can I say?). The shelves are on the left of the seating position, also with all the dvds and cds in them. The cables are 3m long, with about 2 and a bit m extending across the floor from the shelves. The only long leads are for the speakers. I did prevaricate for a while about how to arrange things (was also considering wall mounting the projector) but then I thought "I can always change it!"

I'm using component at the moment + a composite for VHS + the mains lead, all in the same umbilical. I know running power cables parallel with signal cables is a no-no (I use expensive data acquisition kit at work), but I "just tried it" and it was ok in this case. I'll probably switch to DVI for the video in the long run, but am not yet sure about spending another £200 to improve what's an already good picture.

WonkyEwok said:
I'm using component at the moment + a composite for VHS + the mains lead, all in the same umbilical. I know running power cables parallel with signal cables is a no-no (I use expensive data acquisition kit at work), but I "just tried it" and it was ok in this case. I'll probably switch to DVI for the video in the long run, but am not yet sure about spending another £200 to improve what's an already good picture.

Wonky,
ingenious idea with the umbilical.

Your comments are remarkably similar to my thinking. I run a 15m Component from the Pio 575, a 15m S-Video from the Pio 525, and composite from the VCR. I'm tempted by the Samsung player with DVI but wondering whether it's worth spending 2 or 3 hundred quid (inc the DVI cable) to improve the pic. I'm sure it will produce a cleaner / more detailed image but I think it will probably introduce other gremlins especially with that length of cable. Hence I'll probably stick with component for a while... plus I've already blown my budget!...PJ

My thoughts were

Something like the Panny AE700 or Sanyo PLV-Z3 on the coffee table.
An HDMI DVD player on the very rubust shelf underneath - hence minimum video cable run
Then audio out across the carpet to the AV amp under the normal (36") CRT TV.
I would keep my existing DVD player there for playback via TV on occassions

Only remaining issue is connecting Sky box to the projector - Sky box is also under the TV which would be a good 10 ft away so I would need a good lead for that. I don't anticipate watching day to day TV on the projector. But there will no doubt be the occasional football match, or episodes of some programmes I like (like Stargate SG-1) that would be nice to see on a big screen

The only thing to complicate this long term I guess is adding a HTPC. A nice laptop would be OK, so again I could pack it away - just need to make sure my next work laptop is capable of HD playback and good video quality :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom