1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone prepared to Mod a CDP ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by karkus30, May 14, 2005.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im looking for someone to modify my Marantz CD80, I need Op amps replacing (I have the components) and some capacitors replaced with better quality types such as Black Gates. My usual source of soldering genius has found himself a love interest :rolleyes: and vanished.

If I cant find anyone to do the work, Im going to end up putting it on Ebay :(

2. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Karkus30

http://www.chevinaudio.co.uk/html/upgrades.htm

I've never used them so can't provide a recomendation, but they seem to have the specific expertise in this area. I've only emailed back an forth about potential upgrades to my lowly NAD and they advised me not to purchase a DAC they were selling but go for a cheaper upgrade. Also don't know if they'll use supplied parts rather than their own. Do Trichord still do upgrades? I understood this was their core business before the merge with Mitchell.

Paul

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Thanks Paul. I have e.mailed them. TBH I'm not sure if I should cut my losses, its a great player but needs the mods to really blossom and I cant help wondering if it would make more sense to sell both my CDPs and buy something better and newer.

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm not the right person to advise here. I've only had two players since CD's were launched (I don't count my DVD player as the CD sound quality is very pedestrian) - a 1st generation Philips 14 bit (battleship build quality) & my current NAD. Only considered looking for a DAC upgrade when I got the new turntable and the lower sound quality of the CD was really put into perspective. This has been resolved by the addition of a new tube Preamp, which quite unexpectedly has a real synergy with CD and now I'm really happy with the NAD. So much so that I’ve bought more CD’s in the past few weeks than in the last 2 years. :D

Paul