1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone played the Halo 2 Beta?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by LDJ, Jul 30, 2004.

1. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It seems some people are lucky enough to have played the official Halo 2 beta. Details are very scarce on the subject but has anyone here played it?
    Would you care to shed any light on what you thought of it?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    No to answer your question, but is it available to play on the x box or on the PC. PC i assume, coz theres no such thing as beta for a console. Still since this will be a console exclussive for a long time, i doubt the beta will be easy to come by!.

3. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I get the impression that MS are circulating a very limited and incredibly tightly controlled number of beta disks of this game for a number of testers to try out. I'd very much doubt it was PC based tbh.

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    No your getting mixed up here.

The game is at beta testing stage. this is where the last few bugs get ironed out before the game goes gold.

This happens to every game and will be beta tested at the codies work place.

The testers will also have to sign an NDA so they wont spill the beans unless they want to meet bil gates lawyers

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    There have been some console beta tests, mainly for MMORPGs, Everquest Online and FFXI were both beta-tested by average joes. You had to apply and SOE would send you the game and HD to test on.

6. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No, I'm not getting mixed up at all. After reading a bit more it seems Microsoft have distributed a beta version of Halo 2 to a number of people (external to the coders!) to test via Live.
    But, as you say, there are some pretty rigid NDA's in force so its unlikely we'll learn much new if anything at all.

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    DOH...who do think beta testers are............

8. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well, Halo 2 has a brand new engine, built from scratch for the XBox, I doubt its for PC (the pc version isn't out until q2/3 2005 iirc). Not long to wait now though :thumbsup:

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    There was a teaser trailer at the cinema the over day for halo 2 and it realy has come on in the graphics department.

the multiplayer looks sweet as well

10. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pah, Halo 2.

Still haven't managed to drag myself through the shambles that was the first game. The xbox wasn't powerful enough to run that and it had a slow frame rate throughout the game and really chugged in places. The Xbox is really a 3 year old PC and has graphics technology built upon Nvidia Geforce 3 technology. There have been another 3 generational leaps in GFX technology since then and it shows.

I saw an Xbox AVI of Doom 3 and it lots of the trick lighting, high resolution textures, lower polygon count, simpler bump mapping tech and a raft of effects generated by directx 9 are simply missing. Personally I find it beneficial to have a PC as well as the Xbox for times like this and will definitely be getting the PC version of this and probably will do the same with Halo 2.
    Half Life 2 is another matter - by the time that comes out, microsoft will have started shipping the Xbox 2!

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Very true, even the X box is starting to show its age, so i wont even bother mentioning the PS2!

Developers say they can get more out of the console the longer they have it but even that has its limits and a game like DOOM 3 originaly made for the PC will run like crap on the x box.
    As for Halo , there really wasnt that much difference betweet the box and PC version apart from resoulution so it mught be same for Halo 2.
    since the original will be a box game, i doubt they will make it that much nicer for the PC!

12. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    They are NOT all MS/Bungie employee's if that's what you are implying!

13. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I doubt it - John Carmack of id Software said long ago that the baseline spec for Doom 3 would be a PC with GeForce 3 level graphics, which is pretty much all the Xbox is, although with less RAM although that shouldn't be a problem as at thebase Xbox resolution you don't need terribly hi-res textures and so memory requirements will be lower than for PC. Besides, I doubt they'd release the game on Xbox without ensuring that the speed stays respectible through all the levels....

14. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Geforce 3 GFX cards only supported the DirectX 7 feature set.

The PC is now on DirectX 9.0c with a whole host of added features including much more precise pixel shader and vertex code, fully programmable vertex and shaders for limitless effects and advanced light mapping now possible in hardware. Now Doom 3 on PC absolutely requires DirectX 9 because it takes full advantage of it.

The Xbox version has all the gameplay of the PC version, except the levels are cut up more, so expect more loading. But it doesn't have as much eye candy and it won't run as smoothly.

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269

Most beta testers are not employees of bungie but gamers like you and me (same for any beta testing program for that matter)

16. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was a Beta tester for xbox live and was enjoying it months and months before it went "LIVE". I was expecting to have to fill in loads of forms afterwards stating what i thought of it, but in the end i didn't have to do naff all. And i got a nice limited edition boxset for the trouble!! :D

Lucky Me!

Shame i have since abandoned the xbox for a mixture of Gamecube/ps2/Neo Geo gaming!!

17. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    AFAIA ID Software don't use Direct X, they program in OpenGL because it's not tied to Microsoft's OS. Also, while there are codepaths specifically for the very latest PC cards to take advantage of the newer shader engines and so forth, the game will support older hardware for the simple fact that not everyone who wants to play Doom 3 is going to go out and pay £300 for the latest gfx card (I believe the miniumum requirements for the PC are 1.5GHz CPU, and a GF3 or ATI 8500) and id's publishers don't want to commit commercial suicide by releasing something that most PC users wouldn't be able to run for a couple of years until they upgrade.

And besides, I'm not saying that the XBox will look as good as the latest whizz-bang PC, all i'm saying is that the Xbox version will be specifically tuned to get the best out of the platforn. I wouldn't be surprised if performance-wise it's actually a more consistent experience for the Xbox gamer than someone running it on the minimum spec PC - the Xbox is a set platform while a PC typically has loads of stuff going on in the background to slow it down.