1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone played Brian Lara yet?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Bristol Pete, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I note that this is due out tomorrow. Anyone get a copy yet?

Looks great - way better than EA's shocking Cricket 2005. :eek:

Pete.

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Not bothering with it personally. Looks good but it's unforgivable in my eyes not to include live play :mad: . Shame as it would have made a great live game. Anyway they bat off in around 20 mins so may as well turn the box on :D .

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Captain - ive got it and it is indeed really good. easy to pick up and play, very very very hard when you put the difficulity up, lots of options, Hawkeye!, commentary is ok could do with a bit more crowd atmosphere, but i have only been playing England V Zimbabwe @ 20 overs(takes 1 hour). They havent overcomplicated the batting, bowling is simple too. Mt only gripe is i keep getting run out, but thats only because i keep running when there is no run on!

My advise, get it

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Great news. Picked it up for £29.00 at lunch time. Roll on home time!

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Had a quick half hour on it as not been in the door long. Very impressed. Far more playable than EA's effort and a much better game overall. Shame about the lack of licence. However, no big deal. Nice graphics to boot.

Just hit a quick fifty. I can see this game staying on for hours to come!

Pete.

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've been playing this today - really enjoying it but finding it hard to get the opponents out - practice I guess ! will make a v good after pub game with a mate

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I used to love this on the PS1, quality game. I may give it a bash if the AI's any good.

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Right. A slightly bigger summary - an absolute corker of a game. Graphically its good. Perhaps could be better but ultimately about the game play which is good, very good. However, the animation is 100% on and both bowling and batting action is incredibly life like and fluid, which is essential.

What I really like is the AI and the fact that as a bowler or batsman, your confidence bar rises when you are playing well and you can feel yourself edging closer to a four, six or a wicket as that bar rises. In fact, using a medium to fast bowler I managed to bowl a few people out using an in swinger as I got ever closer to the wicket. Batting is a question of choosing direction and timing as well as choosing the type of shot you want, either on the ground or lofted. Get the shot wrong and you will be punished. You can also play defensive batting should the bowler being to get your wicket in his sights - which also increases your confidence....

Anyway, a great cricket game. Last night I managed to knock 51 as Shane Warne, saving the Aussies from defeat!

Pete. :smashin:

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Captain - your spot on there mate, the more i play it the better the game gets. I'm playing it on County difficulty which is hard enough so i dread to think what 'test' is like

is there anyway to play this game on the t'internet through something like x-connect? as online this game would be awesome. Codemasters why oh why did you not put live play in!!!????!!!!! whhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

10. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Forgot to mention its £27.99 in Dixon$

11. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Yep. They have definately made this a tough nut to crack. I was having a game last night, 30 overs on village level and Canada hit 148 all out so I dread to think how tough a higher level may become. Effective bowling is the order of the day!

Pete.

12. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Are there any 'real' players in the game other than Brian Lara?

13. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    no real names but there is and editor so you can just do it yourself, i've done england and australia already!

14. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I thought that was the case, but i was looking at the back of the box in blockbuster and it said something like all the teams, kits etc etc

and the players looked like themselves.

15. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Wow, I played a 50 over game against New Zealand yesterday and they hit 303 - 3 on County level. Needless to say I was all out for less the 100 :( with my openers both going for 0!

Still very enjoyable however.

Pete.

16. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Got this yesterday myself it's a top game just need plenty of practice before i can challenge anyone.

ok cap get ready for a challenge ;) in a couple of weeks

17. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Yeah, banned from Live so have to be in person however. Good job we are practically neighbours!!! Bagsy the Aussies!!!

Pete.

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Sadly there's no live option anyway so the majority of us on here will never trade willow and leather!

Is there a system link option so that something like XB Connect could be used?

19. TCD

TCD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought EA's Cricket 2005. Has anyone played both and can give a good comparison? I am finding it really hard to get runs at the moment but think the game is quite good! I will try and play BL soon to see if I prefer it.

Does BL have an autoplay function, this is useful if you are getting bored of bowling etc.

TCD

20. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Do a search. We discussed the abysmal EA cricket just the other day. Brian Lara is by far the better game. No contest.

Pete.

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Got this today and am pretty impressed by it. Essentially it's very similar to the classic PS1 game. The only real improvements are in the graphics and the hawkeye but the original game was spot on anyway.

Played a 10 over game (England V Bangladesh) on Village level (just to get into it). I scored 127 for 2 and got him out for 99 for 2. Had I realised before the 7th over that I could knock virtually every ball for 6 then i'd have got a much higher score. I had a quick bash on county level and that does seem tougher (no hitting everything for 6 on that level!).

Seems a good game though - just a shame that none of us can actually play each other due to the silly lack of a Live option. :mad:

22. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Got this myself today, and it's great fun.

Managed to beat the USA in a 10 over match, 76-9 England, but restricted them to 56-4.

Can't see a system link option either, which is a shame, as I'd love to play this online.

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Well just finished my first test match - took about 4 hours for a 2 innings match which isn't too bad.

I played on County level with Austrailia against Zimbabwe and my results were as follows!

Aus 1st innings - 191 Zim 1st innings - 96
    Aus 2nd innings - 140 Zim 2nd innings - 191

So I won as Austraila by 44 runs. Not bad for first go I guess. The 2nd innings became a right nightmare as when batting I lost a load of wickets early on (was something like 25 for 4). In contrast I didn't get their 4th wicket until 112 runs. After a lot of frustration Warne came to the rescue and was the hero of the 2nd innings with 8 wickets for just 52 runs. I'm really starting to master the bowling (especialy the legspinner) and managed to take the last 3 wickets in a row without a run being scored!

Now that i've had a good session on this I can say that it is a superb game indeed. The thing is that the more I play and enjoy it, the more I curse the lack of online play. It will be getting a lot of play though none the less as the AI is a good fun challenge! :thumbsup:

24. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Great news. I had a 20 over match last night as the effective NZ team who bowl with sheer speed and pace..........

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I'll have to give them a go - played england a bit and they are not bad! Harmison is a great bowler if used right.

I must say that I absolutely love bowling. There's nothing quite as satisfying as sucking a batsman in with a few fine legspinners only to switch to a googly and stump him with the last ball of the over!

26. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I concur. Bowling can actually be more rewarding than batting as it seems to require more effort and cunning. As you pointed out earlier in the thread, if you stick to a lower level you can slog a four or six on every ball which is kind of pointless. To be honest I do not have much cricketing knowledge so all of the terminology - googly, doosra etc mean nothing to me!!!! (learning slowly however!)

Pete.

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I'm really getting the hang of this now and feel that a step up to test level may well be in order.

Just played a 20 over game with me as England and the AI as Austrailia.

Things started off badly with Trescothick out almost straight away for 1 run! I then lost another few quick overs and things were looking pretty bad at around 40-4!! :eek: . Then the middle order really showed what they were made of though as I continually exploited the field. The fours & sixes started flowing and I went on a superb run rate(you seem to just flick into the zone after a while and you always really feel that there's a constant battle of minds going on with the bowler - even during AI games!).
    I finished my over on 166-9 but to be fair the last 2 wickets were lost trying very risky shots towards the end of the overs.

My bowling tactic wasn't to go for wickets as much (especially furing the first 10 overs) but more to frustrate the batsmen and keep the run rate really low. They needed a rate of 8.33/over to bother my score and I was happy to restrict them to just 40 runs for 1 wicket after 10 overs. I used fast & medium bowlers (including some of my worse ones to keep the best for the last 10 overs) during the first 10 overs mainly using offcutters to take the ball away from the batsman whilst applying a fair degree of last minute swing. When combined with the odd slow ball and leg cutter this tactic works really well. You have to be pretty disciplined with your bowling but when married with a good defensive field (heavy on the offside) it is very effective!

Anyway I managed to restrict Austrailia to 95-5 at the end of the innings winning by an impressive 71 runs :thumbsup: .

How's everyone else finding it?

28. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    My mates and I are really enjoying Lara.
    However, on single player I have found that the opposition seem to really defend the first couple of overs (even on a 10 over match), even if I bowl giving them a chance to smash it for six to leg side, with no fielders over there. Even if they have a massive total to catch. Yet, come the last couple of overs, they start smashing my best bowlers for 6.
    I was still winning, but have since developed the tactic of bowling my duff bowlers at the start to save the overs of my good bowlers.

My other gripes…
    I only seem able to throw balls to the wicketkeeper.. not the other end L
    the batsman cannot move off his crease.
    Whenever I bowl with flintoff.. and put some swing.. the wicketkeeper always seems to miss it.. and it goes for 4.. even if ends up going straight over the wicket.

Another curious 1… I played against a mate.. and I bounced it.. and his batsman got hit.. hopped around inside his crease.. and my Wicketkeeper took the bails off to try and get him out… and it went to the 3rd umpire even though he never left his crease.
    Yet other times, you hit the batsman, who starts wandering round like a shot animal, all the way down the wicket, and the wicketkeeper doesn’t ty to stump him.

Has anybody been got out from this method?

29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Yes I have found the same thing with the bowling. They do seem to be very conservative in the first 10 (of half of the overs) and then start slogging in the second half. I found that I could still restrict them (and get a few out) when they did start slogging though. This is on county level so not sure if it improves on Test level.

It is annoying that you can't throw the ball to the other set of stumps and half the time it would be a definate out but by the time it's gone to the wicket keeper he's safe!

I've not had the flintoff problem nor have I been out after being hit. I don't think that you can be as the batsman is counted as staying in and then after the play concludes the ball becomes dead. I guess it's just a gentlemanly thing.

30. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Well I assumed that it was a gentlemanly thing...
    It was just really strange that the wicketkeeper tried to stump on the first occasion, even though he never got out the crease. Coupled with the action replay of the decision.
    Very strange.
    yep.. Im sure that I would have lots more run outs if I could pick an end to throw too. Particularly as the non-hitter always reaches the wicketkeeper long before the batsman reaches the bowling end.
    Still.. if they had made it perfect, they wouldnt have the opportunity to make 2006 and a bit more money :rolleyes: