Anyone own the Fitbit Versa?

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
I did look at posting this in the smartwear section although it's not exactly busy, hoped for a quick answer here.

My wife has an Android phone and needs a smartwatch. She doesn't need any exercise functions, just something that will alert her to messages... Being a teacher she can't always get to her phone although we had a situation this week where I urgently needed to contact her although she didn't get my message in time which was a pain. I've been looking at the Versa and noticed it supported notifications although I'm wondering if it works like my Apple Watch and vibrates when a message is received?

Any help appreciated.

booyaka

Fitbit Versa Smartwatch

fitbits are more aimed at the exercise/steps/tracking stuff than a "smart watch"

However -

See call, text or calendar notifications on screen and get push notifications from your favourite apps. Available when your phone is nearby.

MegnCalvin

I have and yes, you can get app notifications via Bluetooth from your phone, so your phone does need to be close by. The watch vibrates when they are received as well as flashing up on the screen. Text/whatsapp messages, emails, phonecalls all work and in some cases you can interact with them like using the watch to accept or reject a call or send a quick reply to a message etc. The notification list is controlled via app so you can select what you want to be sent to the watch. I have mine set for everything - Emails, BBC news, Xbox, Facebook, you name it.

There is no indication on the watch to show if your watch is connected to the phone or now which can sometimes trip you up. If you move out of range from your phone, get a message, then move back in range then there can be a little delay till the watch re-syncs. Loads of people online were complaining about Bluetooth connections constantly dropping in the early days. I did have one or two issues when I first got it last June, but it seems to have become a whole lot more stable following various app and firmware updates.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
I have and yes, you can get app notifications via Bluetooth from your phone, so your phone does need to be close by. The watch vibrates when they are received as well as flashing up on the screen. Text/whatsapp messages, emails, phonecalls all work and in some cases you can interact with them like using the watch to accept or reject a call or send a quick reply to a message etc. The notification list is controlled via app so you can select what you want to be sent to the watch. I have mine set for everything - Emails, BBC news, Xbox, Facebook, you name it.

There is no indication on the watch to show if your watch is connected to the phone or now which can sometimes trip you up. If you move out of range from your phone, get a message, then move back in range then there can be a little delay till the watch re-syncs. Loads of people online were complaining about Bluetooth connections constantly dropping in the early days. I did have one or two issues when I first got it last June, but it seems to have become a whole lot more stable following various app and firmware updates.

Thanks for the info, seems that we can't go for the Fitbit as it doesn't play nicely with her Huawei Honor X8... Back to the drawing board!

IronGiant

If she wants something to discretely alert her to activity on her phone, rather than a full blown smart watch, how about https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Wri...UTF8&qid=1550080233&sr=8-1&keywords=mii+fit+3

Lasts about 2 weeks on a charge too. I got one after they were recommended on here by other members. So long as you are about 15-20 feet from your phone it will buzz you with an alert, with text on the small OLED screen.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
If she has a huawei what about the Honor band 4 or huawei b5, both cheap as chips

Just ordered the Honor Band 4 in navy blue.. Think it'll save lots of messing around with compatibility issues by sticking with a Huawei setup. Doesn't seem worthwhile spending loads of money on something fancy when she only wants notifications.

IronGiant

Just read a review that says it trounces the Mii band 3 so good call :thumbsup:

IronGiant

Just ordered the Honor Band 4 in navy blue..
How is she finding it? I ordered one in black and after an initial hiccup it's definitely much better than the Mii 3.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
How is she finding it? I ordered one in black and after an initial hiccup it's definitely much better than the Mii 3.

She loves it, can't honestly find a fault with it. The display is great for a device of that size, when the notifications arrive, its amazing how much text the screen can display and how clear it is. After the first full charge she got 6 days of usage which is great, she's also commented that it's so light and comfortable, she often forgets she's wearing it.

I have to say, I'm greatly impressed with Huawei technology, we now have 2 phones in the house along with the fitness band and they are all quality devices... I'm tempted to move over myself!

stiv674

Distinguished Member
She loves it, can't honestly find a fault with it. The display is great for a device of that size, when the notifications arrive, its amazing how much text the screen can display and how clear it is. After the first full charge she got 6 days of usage which is great, she's also commented that it's so light and comfortable, she often forgets she's wearing it.

I have to say, I'm greatly impressed with Huawei technology, we now have 2 phones in the house along with the fitness band and they are all quality devices... I'm tempted to move over myself!

I've had a Huawei Mate 10 pro phone for a few months and recently bought a Band 3 pro and as you said they are quality devices, excellent value for money as well. Battery life on both is great as well.

arenaman

I've got a Fitbit surge but found it to be inaccurate for heart rate monitoring so I've found an old polar FT4 with a chest strap and it's great for training. I'm not a fan if these rechargeable smart watch training devices.

IronGiant

I've got a Fitbit surge but found it to be inaccurate for heart rate monitoring so I've found an old polar FT4 with a chest strap and it's great for training. I'm not a fan if these rechargeable smart watch training devices.
She doesn't need any exercise functions, just something that will alert her to messages...
Which is why he was advised to get something cheaper and simpler :smashin:

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
Just read a review that says it trounces the Mii band 3 so good call :thumbsup:

For me it's been better than Fitbit Charge 3. (own a mate 20 pro)

Most of the same features without the need to reset the device every couple of days unlike the fitbit.

Just as accurate and at the price can't fault it.

Fitbit just seem not to like Hauwei phones

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
For me it's been better than Fitbit Charge 3. (own a mate 20 pro)

Most of the same features without the need to reset the device every couple of days unlike the fitbit.

Just as accurate and at the price can't fault it.

Fitbit just seem not to like Hauwei phones

Doesn't seem like an issue unique to Fibit, I looked at many smart watches and fitness bands and for some reason, Huawei devices just aren't compatible. Normally in such cases it's bad news as you have to make far too many compromises and end up with a sub standard device as a result. Luckily the band 4 is excellent :)

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
Can you switch the heart rate sensor off on the band 4?

The continuous heart rate monitor is off by default in the hauwei health app.

The band still shows heart rate monitor but doesn't give you a reading till you press to test.

Not sure if its taking any sort of heart reading in this configuration

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
Just to add one up for honor band 4 over the fitbit charge 3.

While driving or on the train the fitbit registers steps that I've not made no such issues on 4

IronGiant

Not sure if its taking any sort of heart reading in this configuration
Don't think so, my heart data graphs just show --bpm even for days I took a manual reading.

DevCode

Just got my band 4, loving it so much more than the fitbit,

Just to confirm

4 different watch faces, quick and seamless pairing with huawei phone, options for various work outs, what I like is the heart rate settings can be entirely switched off, so it acts more like a lazy smartwatch, you can even hide the hr option from being viewed on the watch,

Various notifications can be viewed onscreen, remote phone unlock via watch, and remote camera shutter.

So for £34 delivered, I'm impressed.

IronGiant

With HR off and wrist flick and true sleep on, I got 8 days before the battery light came on, at 10% remaining. That's wearing it 24/7. Less than the Mii fit 3 but so much better in every other way.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Cautionary tale for anyone else who skips through this thread. As well as the Honor Band 4 lauded here there is also an Honor Band 4 Running. This is a fitness only version with a smaller, non-touch screen & no message display capability. So why the fudge they've given a completely different product the same name is bizarre.

And yes, "Running" is that small on the box. :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022