Anyone own/owned a Golf GTI (Mk5)?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by domtheone, Feb 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,692
    More than likely changing my car (clio 182) very soon and have often thought about the Golf.

Now i'm not sure whether i'll be going down the economical route (1.2 petrol:rolleyes::rotfl:) for a while (credit crunch, possible house purchase later this year etc etc ) or swapping for something similar.

If so, the Golf is on the shortlist.

Interested in peeps opinions of these. Obviously the car has universal praise from all the motoring press but looking to get a general idea on servicing costs, insurance, real world MPG (motorway/urban/mixture - can it realy be a 30mpg car with 200bhp and a turbo) etc etc. Never owned a VW before so bit in the dark on these things.

I like the car in White (not sure if there is more than one type of white in the range) but what are the colours to have and not to have.

TIA

2. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    typical German car, very high quality fit, quality interior and like all German cars goes wrong when the wind changes :) well compared to Toyota's and Honda's

the MK5 has pretty much been praised by the press as a return to form for the Golf after mediocrity of the MKIV

I like mine, apart from my scoobys and evo's its the only car I still like after 2 years of ownership

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. rcoundon

rcoundon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've had a Mk5 GTI for just over 2 and a half years and I still love it. Mine is a paddle shift DSG gearbox. In the economy setting, driving it carefully you can easily get more than 30mpg.
    In reality if you're having the odd burst, driving it in a combination of ways then you're looking at around 30mph.
    Had a problem with my sat nav flattening the battery but the car itself is very well built and problem free.
    Great fun to drive too.
    Servicing from a VW dealer is pricey - I'm on a lease so I'm tied to them.

4. Alistair

Alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have a Golf Mk 5, a GT 170 diesel, really like it. At the last service I got the Mk5 GTI as a courtesy car and to be honest I preferred mine. I never looked at the performance figures but it didn't feel that much quicker. And with my diesel GT I still get 48 to 49mph even at 80 on the motorway.

Build quality is excellent and it is very comfortable to drive. I prefer the ride of the 17s over the 18s but that is just me. Really appreciate the winter pack at this time of year, heated seats are superb and the Xenon option is well worth it too.

5. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Loads of Golf Mk5 fans at my work. They all bang on about the merits of their GTI against a mates R32 or another blokes 30th Anniversary GTI.

Bottom line is that people who have 'em generally love 'em!

6. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    i'm looking at one of these too, prices seem to be a bit hit and miss and white is rare, black or red seem to be comman. I think the only issue they suffer from is a squeek from the steering rack which usually results in its replacement, I had a MKV GT TD before the Audi and liked it but found it too uncomfortable but I out that down to the leather.

They also seem to sell very quickly, i would choose the Focus ST over the Golf but taking into account running cost I think the Golf wins. I just need to find one !