Anyone own a Synology DS213J

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by craney, Feb 21, 2014.

1. craney

craney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Morning all,

Just bought myself a Synology DS213J and I must say I'm rather impressed with what this little thing can do! I used to have a micro server but it was a little overkill for what I needed. I am just curious to know if anyone here own one of these as I am really interested to know the best way to stream movies/music etc. from the disk station to say an iPad.

I used to use Air Video for movies which seemed to do the trick just fine and just used the itunes home sharing option for music. I understand the diskstation has an itunes server package but i think its only really useful if your playing music from an actual itunes library as you cant share the music out to other devices. I have been looking at the DS Audio app that synology have but not tried it as of yet.

Hope someone might be able to give me some advice on setting this up

Thanks guys

2. whitestar96

whitestar96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Download DSVideo from the AppStore on the iPad, enter the name of your diskstation & the username & password of an account that has access & you're good to go.

3. paddy187

paddy187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Yep I own one and use ds video - it's epic!

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Use DSVideo, DSAudio if you want it done nice looking turning on videostation/audiostation services on the NAS.

It's also possible via DLNA but this not so nice looking, for DLNA install media server app on synology then on iOS device get something like VLC and look under local network, the synology should pop up there eventually.

Your right about the iTunes package it's no good for iOS, DSAudio is the much better approach.

5. craney

craney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that guys much appreciated i shall give that a go for sure!

Would you happen to know a good way to sync files from a windows machine to a shared folder on the nas? I want to sync my music collection on my pc with the shared folder on the nas so it only copies across any changes but i dont believe this can be done with robocopy due to the ext4 file system on the nas

6. simjon

simjon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0