Anyone own a Pioneer 737?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by General Skanky, Nov 4, 2001.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What is it like?
    How good do 'you' think it is?
    Fulabeer is responsible for me now seriously thinking of buying one! :rolleyes:

So any more independent reviews most welcome.
    Cheers.

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Although i am very very happy with this player for the price i paid, it does have "some" shortfalls!.

I would'nt use it for progressive scan, as it does'nt de-interlace as well as the Denon/Arcam etc. It's not got motion adaption either etc, plus no Pal output (yet).
    It has also got the chroma bug, but i have not seen/noticed a problem myself.

Don't get me wrong i love the picture produced plus the wealth of adjustments etc. But i want you to be able to make a informed decision.

Speak to you soon...

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,076
    Yes, General, I'm a 737 user. I love it. Can't see the chroma bug, although I know it's there. No progressive from PAL - but then that's not a "legal" thing to do anyway so you won't see it on a main brand player (although it may be "hackable" on some).

The array of picture "tweaks" is impressive and the effect they can have is significant and useful. You can save settings in an array of "memories" which you can quickly switch to eg one for NTSC, one for PAL. You can set chroma level, chroma shift, black level, white level, detail enhancements (x3) and...... oh, there are so many I forget.

The motion correction on NTSC discs (3:2 pulldown) is IMHO good enough. As you know, I use it to drive a VW10 and, together, they make for a very cinematic experience, especially on Progressive NTSC material.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks Nigel and Paul. Am ordering one today. :D

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,076
    Chipped, I hope.

FYI, when I got my chipped 737 (from Sevenoaks) it was supplied set to R2. In this state it would play the majority of R1 discs, but failed on RCE and its forerunner (Branching Technique?) discs.

I had to follow the supplied directions to set it to R1, where it now plays all 250+ discs I have without issue. Gordon had the same problem with the SDI 737 at "The Event" and was unable to play Insurrection in the CRT room. I only found out about it late in the day, changed his region setting and solved the problem too late for the enjoyment of most, unfortunately. Anyway - just something to be aware of.

Enjoy.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Definately chipped!!!!
    I'll keep that in mind. I remember servicing the 717 going into its menus to change the region etc a while ago. Same routine I expect.
    Thanks anyway. :)

7. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    737 is a very fine player, exceptional audio quality and very user friendly. I've sold mine now but I had it for nearly a year and could not fault it. Good luck!
    Henry

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,076
    Different (but similar) routine. The two players have very different menu structures and the access route to the region setting is in a different bit of the menu. If your supplier doesn't give directions, I can (assuming the mod. is same/similar to mine and the SDI job in Glasgow). Just ask.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    No instructions in my box for altering the mod.
    What did you do Nigel?

I had a look at the layout inside, 'almost' identical to 717, a few PCB layout differences etc.
    The mod must be a replaced surface mount IC on the flip side of the MPEG board, as it wasn't visible and no extra 'bodge' wiring inside.
    That or a software update via disc, which would point me towards the fact that the prog scan, could possibly be updated to PAL also, as in the same way the Denon is!!!!

Hmmmmmm....................:)

10. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Guy.
    I've spoken to S&V Bolton. They say the Mod is a software revision hack etc.
    It is fully automatic requiring no action to play R1 inc RCE disks!.
    So you might be right about a possible future Pal progressive scan update!.

11. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,076
    How to change region (if necessary) using MY mod (same as the SDI one in Glasgow):

No disc in player. Invoke setup menu. Go to the last (rightmost) menu tab. Set menu format to "basic". Remain on 5th tab, press "display". Shows current region setting and software version no etc.

If current region setting not = 1, press "condition" then number 1. Note - the screen display does not change at this point. Press setup again to dismiss menu. You can then repeat the above process to check that it has "taken".

(Caveat - this was done from memory so if I got it a bit wrong - sorry. Also, if your mod differs to mine, so may the procedure)

You will only need to change it away from 1 if some bright spark in another region starts using RCE or branching techniques on their discs - no such discs exist yet AFAIK.

12. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you retiring the yammy then general?