Anyone ordering the Samsung Galaxy S21?

gangzoom

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So impressed I'm by the camera on my wifes Note 20 Ultra, I've just pre-ordered the S21 Ultra. After trading in my current S9, and add in the 'free' preorder gifts it seems like a OK deal.....as much as any £1000+ phone can be!! Have also ordered the silicon case and S pen.

I do have to confess I appear to be a Samsung fanboy these days after moving away from Apple when my iPhone 5 died, am now building a nice little collection of Galaxy boxes, cannot wait for the S21 to come :).

50834517388_639ce088f1_c.jpg

50834222001_a6ba62306a_c.jpg

I have the S20+ and, apart from the Ultra, the S21 range doesn't seem much of upgrade, and is a downgrade in some respects. I'm passing, at least until prices drop.

Was holding out to possibly get s21+ but also feel that too much of a downgrade from s20+.

I have preordered the S21 Ultra 512GB after the Samsung Unboxing event. On a mere S8 at the moment, and have resisted the urge to buy a S20, mainly due to the moans about the autofocus.

I'm hoping that the Exynos 2100 will also alay the critique of Samsungs previous Exynos efforts of late.

Also comes with the Smart tag & Pro buds.

Having said that, any recent phone will be better than my S8, which has started to get a little flakey!

Last edited:
There is a £50 off voucher in your email inbox if you signed up for the preview event. I just cancelled my original order and reordered with the discount applied :).

Very tempted, had the Note Ultra but battery life was awful due to Exynos chip, hoping the 2100 plus big battery will see an improvement. If it does, I’m in!

No, the lack of micro SD storage and integrated s-pen support are not worth it for me so still thinking about a Note 20 Ultra.

^My wifes Note 20 Ultra really is fantastic, its hard to fault, I thought about getting one, but having x2 identical high end handsets would be silly :).

Just recapping the stats on the S21 Ultra, 8 core processor, 256gig storage, 12MB ram, its better specs than a 13inch MacBook Pro!!!

Hi folks - newbie here. Can someone explain the point of having a 3x AND a 10x zoom on the S21 ultra?

Hi folks - newbie here. Can someone explain the point of having a 3x AND a 10x zoom on the S21 ultra?

Its about giving you the choice and freedom to capture the scene from different perspectives without having to use digital zoom which losses you quality.

The x3 optical zoom for me is really exciting versus the x5 on my wifes Note 20. Its the most 'natural' zoom range for the human eye, and has enough reach to get shots the main camera at 26mm could never get. These shot are 70mm so roughly x3 optical zoom, very hard to replicate even with croping at 26mm.

7032865567_0e61b40243_k_d.jpg

15759354657_0f1c4034fb_k_d.jpg

Wide angle zooms have their uses too, they bring drama to a shot but they also distort the image making everything look far when its not. This shot is at 10mm so only a bit wider than the x0.6 zoom on the 21 Ultra.
7032826009_b991d1648b_k_d.jpg

The x10 optical zoom I'm intrigued by, because 240mm is a range 99% of photographer never use, mainly because there is no need and a 200mm+ lens is usually massive.

This is at 260mm equivalent from track side and 300mm of the Olympic flame from distance. The issue is at these massive zooms unless you have razor sharp AF and no shutter lag you will miss the shot. It will be interesting to see how the S21 can do. I would be amazed if it can get anything close to these shots, though the ability to capture 4k video at 60fps even on the x10 optical lens suggests image quality must be at least usable.

8070188497_1163f2c938_k_d.jpg

7746942722_299e834a47_k_d.jpg

Infact 'zoom' really isn't what will get you the clear shot, this is at 'only' 200mm, so around x8 optical zoom. But I suspect there is zero chance any smart phone will ever be able to get this shot due to the need for fast and pin point accurate AF - these cars are doing around 100mph through Eau Rouge in the wet with a fence between me and the cars.....I'll have a go though with the S21 :).

15045988472_f4f6cfe176_b.jpg

As someone who enjoys photography as a hobby the S21 Ultra is really exciting. Am far too old and inpatient these days to carry around a DSLR camera body + wide angle lens + normal lens +200mm+ lens, and than batteries etc.

What Samsung is promising by giving us so much optical zoom lens choice is creative photography freedom but wrapped up in a device that I can also edit photos on, share photos, use as a phone, and play games........Can they deliver on that promise? Am willing to pay the asking price to find out :).

Last edited:
Its about giving you the choice and freedom to capture the scene from different perspectives without having to use digital zoom which losses you quality.

The x3 optical zoom for me is really exciting versus the x5 on my wifes Note 20. Its the most 'natural' zoom range for the human eye, and has enough reach to get shots the main camera at 26mm could never get. These shot are 70mm so roughly x3 optical zoom, very hard to replicate even with croping at 26mm.

7032865567_0e61b40243_k_d.jpg

15759354657_0f1c4034fb_k_d.jpg

Wide angle zooms have their uses too, they bring drama to a shot but they also distort the image making everything look far when its not. This shot is at 10mm so only a bit wider than the x0.6 zoom on the 21 Ultra.
7032826009_b991d1648b_k_d.jpg

The x10 optical zoom I'm intrigued by, because 240mm is a range 99% of photographer never use, mainly because there is no need and a 200mm+ lens is usually massive.

This is at 260mm equivalent from track side and 300mm of the Olympic flame from distance. The issue is at these massive zooms unless you have razor sharp AF and no shutter lag you will miss the shot. It will be interesting to see how the S21 can do. I would be amazed if it can get anything close to these shots, though the ability to capture 4k video at 60fps even on the x10 optical lens suggests image quality must be at least usable.

8070188497_1163f2c938_k_d.jpg

7746942722_299e834a47_k_d.jpg

Infact 'zoom' really isn't what will get you the clear shot, this is at 'only' 200mm, so around x8 optical zoom. But I suspect there is zero chance any smart phone will ever be able to get this shot due to the need for fast and pin point accurate AF - these cars are doing around 100mph through Eau Rouge in the wet with a fence between me and the cars.....I'll have a go though with the S21 :).

15045988472_f4f6cfe176_b.jpg

As someone who enjoys photography as a hobby the S21 Ultra is really exciting. Am far too old and inpatient these days to carry around a DSLR camera body + wide angle lens + normal lens +200mm+ lens, and than batteries etc.

What Samsung is promising by giving us so much optical zoom lens choice is creative photography freedom but wrapped up in a device that I can also edit photos on, share photos, use as a phone, and play games........Can they deliver on that promise? Am willing to pay the asking price to find out :).
Thank you so much for this fantastic reply! I had to laugh when I read your "too old and impatient" comment - exactly why I've ordered the S21 ultra! I've got a bag full of cameras and lenses, which a lot of the time I can't be bothered carrying around these days. I've never had a smartphone of this quality before, so I'm hoping my social media posts will look a lot better! My main puzzlement was those two zoom lenses - if both are optical zooms, then the 10x would be covering the same range as the 3x. Your answer has me thinking there'll be a difference in the wide angle "starting point" of the two lenses. Can't wait to try it out - and a bit worried I jumped the gun splashing out on mirrorless SLR and lenses!

. Can't wait to try it out - and a bit worried I jumped the gun splashing out on mirrorless SLR and lenses!

Mirrorless is big improvement over DSLRs, this is my old Canon 'walk about' setup versus the EM5II

24232573025_ebf6cd699e_b.jpg

Currently the I have a reasonable collection of lens for the EM5, all of it fits in a hip bag + chargers, but compared to my wifes Note 20 Ultra its still a faff, and the S21 Ultra offers the same range of zoom range as all this...

50844578808_fb0799817c_b.jpg

Interestingly if I was into proper motorsport or widelife photography I would probably stick with a DSLR as the focus speed on the mirrorless setups just cannot match DSLRs, but for me those kind of photos are once in a decade needs...........Still its a good excuse to try out the S21 at a F1 race (COVID pending) :)

Mirrorless is big improvement over DSLRs, this is my old Canon 'walk about' setup versus the EM5II

24232573025_ebf6cd699e_b.jpg

Currently the I have a reasonable collection of lens for the EM5, all of it fits in a hip bag + chargers, but compared to my wifes Note 20 Ultra its still a faff, and the S21 Ultra offers the same range of zoom range as all this...

50844578808_fb0799817c_b.jpg

Interestingly if I was into proper motorsport or widelife photography I would probably stick with a DSLR as the focus speed on the mirrorless setups just cannot match DSLRs, but for me those kind of photos are once in a decade needs...........Still its a good excuse to try out the S21 at a F1 race (COVID pending) :)
From what I can gather, the latest Canons -R5 and R6 - have fantastic autofocus. In fact I was on the point of trading in my Canon RP for an R6; then I saw the publicity for the S21 ultra and decided to give that a go instead!

Camera phones have indeed come a long way and the fact you always have your phone with you makes them great for quickly taking them out of pocket and getting a few snaps. But they're not serious mirrorless/dslr competitors.

It's all very well talking about the range on a phone. But aside from wide (0.6?), 1x, 3x & 10x, everything in between is digital. And the small sensors will never rival a "proper" camera.

They might have an aperture of around 1.7 or whatever, but even a pocket camera with a 1" sensor will be better in low light, especially if taking burst shots.

I'm not knocking what the S21U and similar phones can do, they're great and more than enough for most people. Especially when you consider how much something like a Sony ARiv & lenses cost. But for anyone half serious, phones aren't replacing them.

They might have an aperture of around 1.7 or whatever, but even a pocket camera with a 1" sensor will be better in low light, especially if taking burst shots.

But for anyone half serious, phones aren't replacing them.

I have to say I disagree, half the advances made by these phones are in the software processing which even top end DSLRs cannot match let alone a point and shoot.

If you are a pro making a living from your photos there is little point in getting one of these cameras phones, but for everyone else they make photography so much more accessible.

I would love to see Canon or similar team up with Apple/Google/Samsung to combine the best lens hardware with the best software, the results would be unbelievable.

Don't forget our vision is mainly 'formed' by the occipital lobe of our brain, our eyes are only half the story. Photography is now moving in the same way, its now longer just about the lens or even sensory, its how the software than processes that image.

I've bought loads of 'proper" camera gear before, but I doubt I'll buy any more traditional camera gear again.

I have to say I disagree, half the advances made by these phones are in the software processing which even top end DSLRs cannot match let alone a point and shoot.

If you are a pro making a living from your photos there is little point in getting one of these cameras phones, but for everyone else they make photography so much more accessible.

I would love to see Canon or similar team up with Apple/Google/Samsung to combine the best lens hardware with the best software, the results would be unbelievable.

Don't forget our vision is mainly 'formed' by the occipital lobe of our brain, our eyes are only half the story. Photography is now moving in the same way, its now longer just about the lens or even sensory, its how the software than processes that image.

I've bought loads of 'proper" camera gear before, but I doubt I'll buy any more traditional camera gear again.
Current camera phones still can't get close to a 1" sensor low light burst mode. And the processing can't make up for it. Can't get around the fact they have small sensors.

Screw it, cancelled my order and went for Phantom
Blacks to get it on 29th Jan, it’s going to have a case anyway!

I don't think many snappers would disagree that a camera phone, no matter how good, can rival what we're calling a "proper" camera. But the convenience of always having it in my pocket, and the fact 90% of my pictures go to social media, where top quality doesn't really matter, have persuaded me to fork out for the S21u. That said, I'll be hanging on to my "proper" gear as well, unless I discover to my delight that my new phone can provide me with A3 prints!

Current camera phones still can't get close to a 1" sensor low light burst mode. And the processing can't make up for it. Can't get around the fact they have small sensors.

You seem to be stuck in the old ways. We just have to agree to disagree, but looking at camera sales the vast majority of camera buyers are giving up the old stuff, my self included. Pretty much zero chance of me spending another £ on 'proper' camera gear, but the S21 Ultra I suspect is just the first of many new cameras I buy :).

You seem to be stuck in the old ways. We just have to agree to disagree, but looking at camera sales the vast majority of camera buyers are giving up the old stuff, my self included. Pretty much zero chance of me spending another £ on 'proper' camera gear, but the S21 Ultra I suspect is just the first of many new cameras I buy :).

Declining sales are irrelevant to what I've said. I don't deny what smartphones offer are fantastic. But you're ignoring the fact the quality isn't on par with larger sensors that they'll never have.

Declining sales are irrelevant to what I've said. I don't deny what smartphones offer are fantastic. But you're ignoring the fact the quality isn't on par with larger sensors that they'll never have.

Actually am not, if you read my posts I've said if you are a professional making money out of photos stick there is no reason to ditch the DSLR.

But for people like me, who enjoy taking photos, but make zero money from them these cameras are the future not DSLRs or mirrorless.

Its like all things in life, I also enjoy cycling, a £10k Tour de France replica machine which is 10 seconds quicker over a 1 hr climb is absolutely perfect for a professional, as 10 seconds is difference between been the winner versus a loser. But for everybody else is an absolute waste of money. Thats why I still have a £1k road bike from 2010, the gain in performance isn't worth the money for me.

If you want the best quality stick to a DSLR, but the extra cost, inconvenience means for everyone else they make very little sense. The fact DSLR and mirrorless cameras sales have collapsed show this, and with Samsung bringing out things like the 21 Ultra its the final nail in the coffin.

Olympus has already pulled out of consumer digital cameras, how long will Canon, Nikon and Sony keep going with making products no one is buying any more?

You can go on about sensor size forever, the fact is no one cares any more, back in 2010 people did, but its now 2021. The only value left for companies like Canon is their experience in lens, I would pay £1.5k-2k for a Canon 'L' lens equipped Apple/Samsung camera phone.

This is the latest financial summary of the DSLR market. Sales still falling at a rate of 20% year on year, with Canon pushing a razor thin profit of just £3million, which for an international company its getting close to a rounding error.

The reason is so simple, this shot was taken with my wifes Note 20 Ultra. Its was really dark in the hallway, hand held, night mode. I've attached the full res link for you to pixel peep, but there is nothing wrong with the quality of that picture for me. Infact if you look the detail is astounding, down to paint specs on the wood, and noise levels.....what noise??

To get the same shot with a DSLR I would have needed a tripod, expensive lens, than for work flow, copy the file to a computer for processing/backing up and sharing. So no better quality, but more expensive, far far less convenient for actual photo taking or work flow.

The only thing left for DSLRs was zoom range, but with the S21 Ultra thats now gone. If Canon/Nikon wants to stay in the consumer camera market they need to team up with Apple/Samsung/Google before its too late!! Otherwise I cannot see them staying in the consumer camera market for much longer :(.

Personally for me, its about if the S21 Ultra can replace my EM5 II with an assortment of lens. Am not going to jump the gun, but am more than ready to it up for sale if am happy with what the S21 Ultra can deliver.

50735674818_e26b945c97_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
I was simply stating a fact. But it seems you want to tell a life story instead. Good luck with that.

I was simply stating a fact. But it seems you want to tell a life story instead. Good luck with that.

Can a bridge camera/point and shoot camera capture the shot above in low light and produce the same quality image?

Can even an entry level DSLR produce such a detailed image with exposure times of nearly 2 seconds?

You go on about sensor size been important in image quality, the fact is sensory size is now only part the equation. Computing power is now just as important, and thats something no 'proper' camera can match any of the stuff Apple/Samsung/Goolge are putting out.

Can a film or digital camera handle phonecalls? ✌️ :D

Each individual should know whether they need (line of work) or want (enthusiast) a dedicated camera. If you have to even ask, a modern smartphone with an onboard camera module is probably sufficient for your requirements

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom