1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone on here serious about music?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Nov 10, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I know Im a bit of an anorak when it comes to music :rolleyes: but it seems to me that not many on this forum know much beyond the latest fad group !

Apologies, that sounds very offensive as there are several people that have expressed in depth views, maybe its more a function of how few people post (it is an AV site, not a specific music forum).

So, I began to look for a dedicated site for like minded anoraks, so having found a popular site, I had a trawl through the posts.

One post was about the Foo's appearance at the V festival last year. One guy was annoyed that DG had decided to drum for a 'random band' fronted by some bloke called Jaz...........that band was Killing Joke, one of the most influencial bands of the 80s :eek: I was amazed, no one was even interested to find out why DG should be drumming for this hither too unknown band.

Does music exist only in the present ? Just a throwaway fashion item like a Phone or PC :confused: I suppose thats the way our society and culture is at present, but its a great pity. Its all getting very bland, same shops in every town, same Supermarkets selling the same food, same clothes, same music, same aspirations........wheres the colour gone ?

Anyway, I digress................does anyone know where theres a decent music forum that caters for the older anarchist??

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Don't know any forums per se, but I like to think that I know about music. I certainly thoroughly enjoy it (always have music on) but I'm a bit limited by my age and my available cash to spend on it :)

I get the impression that most people on here are more into films than music. I even started a poll on it a while ago!

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I love music from all sorts of times, best mood changer in the world.
    Half the time I find fad music to be a pile of ****e and listen to stuff I've heard a thousand times instead.

By the way John I want to pinch your entire music collection :devil: :smashin:

5. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,943
    I love music as well. I'm suffering at the moment as there doesn't seem to be much good new stuff about at the moment, so I'm buying old Anthrax, Masters Of Reality, XTC and stuff like that at the moment.
    Oh, and Green Day American Idiot as well.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Oooh, I keep putting American Idiot back in to listen to. It didn't seem special at first but I seem able to listen to it over and over and over quite happily.

A curious thing I've noticed in general is that it's generally people who listen to "rock" music that like to discuss it in this manner. A quick glance down the music forum or through the Listening to lately... thread gives an idea. Although it is often the same people replying :)

7. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,943
    American Idiot is certainly a "grower". First listen I thought it would probably have to be my last every Green Day album, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it.

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Thats four of us then :smashin: As you like Green Day, have you had a listen to Mission of Burma - On-Off-On its original US original hardcore and still fresh.

9. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,943
    That's a new one on me !
    Just looking on iTunes music store but they only have one album on there. It gives you a 20 second snippet of the tracks from the Snapshot album. Sounds good so far.

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    The album was only released this year and is all new. Previous albums are the original self titled album (which I have) and Signal,Calls and Marches EP. Both are great. Amazon have Snippets of the original self titled album. You will have to take it from me that the latest album is almost as good.

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  12. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    im a huge music fan, my tastes are very wide, there isnt much i dont apreciate even if i dont like it, i love live music, be it famous bands on a big stage or small local bands on a small or big stage its all good, music makes me happy!

apart from benfolds cancelling his UK tour, that makes me sad :(

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I love music but I find increasingly difficult to find anything good these days, everything is Pop R&B, I think the last decent album I found was Blue States - Man Mountain

14. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    well, I've about 500cds - so you could say I'm pretty serious about it...!

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    My love of music not only stems from my teenage years which most folk do, and dabble in to classical.
    I like music from earlier from the 1900 and like music from the like of Sinatra, Astair and my favourite singer who has the best voice I have ever heard Nat King Cole. And the more I hear modern trendy stuff the more find the old stuff out and I’m glad I can appreciate it. Although the early 70’s, particular soul, are my favourite period and I now even appreciate more some of the stuff I disregard from that period the likes of Floyd, Led Zep etc.
    The modern stuff I find either rap which I cannot make out half the time what there saying, re-making old classics but worse, sampling old classics and putting new lyrics to them, or just bland pop.

Although from the above post and the types you mention I look as though I’m a voice in the wilderness with such taste.

16. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Garrett, I was raised on Classical music, John Denver and Irish/Scots folk (pipes and whistles stuff) music so my tastes are as varied as your own. Nothing surprises other drivers more than an apparent boy-racer with Vivaldi blasting out of his car stereo :laugh:

17. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I'm serious in that I want my music to have an emotional effect on me.

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I have 20GB on my hard drive. I am not as supercilious about music as karkus, but I do find trance "music" quite offensive, and anything that boy racers play in their 1.1 G reg nova.

19. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think I'm serious about music, but I'm going through a phase where I HATE(!) nearly everything that comes out at the moment. I may sound like 'Mr Contradiction' there, but I used to watch MTV2 quite alot, and now when I flick it on it's the same re-hashed riffs and bad The Strokes impressions over and over again. And Zane Lowe telling us how f**king good it is - come on Zane, even you must be sick of the same old s**t by now! It makes me want to hurl. I'm after a little thought and intelligence in my music :lesson:

20. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Talking of that I like Bob James who is sort of jazz and the track I like best by him is Women Of Ireland.
    Also have you heard and Secret Garden which some tracks sound Irish/Scots trad.

Also a female artist call Izzy, who sing some old traditional song which my favourite by her is My Love is Like a Red Red Rose which before I heard her sing it thought it was definitely not my cup of tea.

Re-classical, even before I reached my teens I was into classical music and remembering my father saying my taste in it was too deep for him.

21. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

you mean that ****e that has no midrange, just subbass or dreadful treble as their stereos are distorting :mad:

22. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lo there,

I love music and have done for as long as I can remember. My tastes are hugely varied though. I love floyd, the doors, queen stuff like Norah Jones and I also love classical music having taught myself to play piano when I was in early secondary school (I wanted to learn the moonlight sonata).

Strangely enough though I also like all sorts of other stuff like The Streets, Dr Dre and even dance music. I was a dj in a club in my younger days and I learned to appreciate why dance was constructed as it was and why it used those hoover sounds etc. there are some very good artists out there who write very good dance music which is fairly original and have done for years.

Basically if it sounds good then I like it. I try not to be a music snob but I am not in the least bit intersted in the throw away pop culture which makes up the charts nowadays.

Not so long back songs got to number one and stayed there for 26 weeks, anyone remember brian adams - everything i do? Yeh I cringe when i hear it now but in the time that held number one, nowadays we would have had 30 new number one hits.

Music has become like most other things nowadays an exercise in marketing, it's as simple as that.

A cd I reccomend to anyone and everyone as it has just about everything in it from dance to dolly parton is "As heard on radio soulwax part 2" by "2 many dj's". Yeh it might not be original but it will get your foot tapping and your head nodding.

A fantatsic cd which everyone who i've played it to has so far gone out and bought.

Dave

23. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

Superb choice mate :thumbsup: got that set off XFM absolutely class.

24. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

I'll keep an eye out for them, cheers.

25. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,675
    I'm serious about music - but it just gets harder and harder to get enthusiastic about new stuff anymore. Alot of it is bland and we don't seem to have any virtuosos coming through anymore - where's the next Hendrix, ie great guitarist, great songwriter and part of the mainstream?

Live music is a dying art form, and to be a musician today you have to be a programmer (well almost)!! Perhaps its my age (I'm only 32!!) but I find myself listening to stuff that is from the 70's & 60s more and more! I'm even starting to listen to Classic FM!!!!! Anyway the best thing about music is that there is nor wrong or right, just whatever you like. I hate music snobs. I have one beside me at work, who puts down any CD you listen to, or suggest because she read in a magazine somewhere that it wasn't any good. I don't know about you , but I like to form my own opinions.

....anyway looking forward to the new U2 album.

26. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i, like many others, keep finding myself having to defend my love of various kinds of music. it seems that to actually have an opinion and to dislike something that is popular is frowned upon by most people. i don't automatically dislike whatever's popular but most of it is rubbish. i listen to rock and soul from the sixties up to the present day. people seem bewildered that you can have cds in the car by Marvin Gaye, Metallica and the Scissor Sisters. when i say that the charts today are basically a series of adverts to sell a product i'm told that i know nothing about music. i'm laughed at for listening to Rimsky Korsakov. the majority of people don't care about music and find it laughable that anyone does. maybe i'm approaching "grumpy old manhood" but it all makes me so mad!!!

27. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I'm an avid XFM listener -where else can you hear Faith No More and the Violent Femmes within 5 minutes of each other. The only downer is that at 4pm everyday it gets drowned out by a pirate radio station.

As for my musical tastes - i recently had a wedding party and the playlist included PJ Harvey, the Dead Kennedys, the Femmes, Smashing Pumpkins, the Foos, Elvis, Pearl Jam and Belle & Sebastian. Not one Westlife or Robbie Williams track in sight :smashin:

28. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Marvin is up there in the top 3 of male vocalist for me he did some groundbreaking stuff at Motown with the What’s Going On album which they where not to happy about putting out at first and though it would be a flop but is one of the top albums of all time, not a bad track on it just some better than others and funnily not a love song in sight. And most of the track although wrote in the 70’s relevant today.

He then when on to make an album about love and love making with Let Get It On.

29. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,675
    I've got a best of Marvin Gaye CD - is there a definitive album of his I should get? What's Goin On is just a class song.

I'm the same - I have Metallica, Beethoven, The Black Crowes, Damien Rice, The Bee Gees all doing the rounds in my car. There are two types of music - good and bad!

30. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    There's lots of us who are serious about music

I'm stuck in the late 70's to late 80's period, where producers used to write engergetic melodies with real groove factor, backed up by great tunes & great vocalists.

I really dont rate much of what is around today.
    There isn't enough of a hook to pull me in, yeah- you'll get the odd good tune, but overall, nothing of substance.

Then you'll get the pretentious stuff, where some fella or group starts to "look inside" and write stuff which is "profound", but has absolutely zero melody/groove to it, totally robbing all the meat on the bone.
    Trying to be clever, is not clever.

Leroy Burgess?
    Terry Lewis & James Harris?
    Jacques Fred Petrus?

Amazingly talented producers/song writers - heard of them?

High Fashion?
    Skyy
    Change?
    D-Train?
    Kashif?

Any ideas? - Talented groups/recording artists.

Curtis Hairston?
    Howard Hewett?
    Sherrick?
    Glenn Jones?

Any ideas? - talented male vocalists -

You get my drift.

So, of course there's lots of us who are serious about music.

We just find it hard to be heard over the Incubus & RATM generation.

Adz