Anyone on a Dairy / Wheat free diet?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BandofBrothers, Aug 4, 2013.

1. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hey everyone,

(Mods please don't delete this thread - as I'm not seeking medical advice, as I know that is not allowed on the forums - I am just after some dietary advice).

Long story short, I have felt like rubbish for over 10 years, headaches, full on migraines, complete lack of energy etc, and have done millions of tests. It is highly likely that I have an intolerance to dairy and wheat. I had a food intolerance test done through a lab, and milks/dairy came back over 3x what they classify as a "high" result (they scored 90 and anything over 30 is "high"). Wheat was also among the highest "scoring" foods that could well be affecting my health.

(It is worth noting, that I have literally had every other test under the sun, and the docs have ruled out basically everything. The 2 further tests mentioned below are just to double check on some earlier tests that came back negative.)

Basically, this means that my body is producing tons of antibodies in response to these food types. I am having a few further tests done, but as of this Wednesday coming up, I am going to adhere to a strict dairy and wheat free diet.

After visiting both Waitrose and Tesco (which are local to me), the selection is very limited. I did expect this somewhat, but we are talking a single side of a single aisle:blush:

Does anyone here follow a similar diet, and if so do you have any pointers/tips, and where do you do the majority of your food shopping? (Is it best to do this online?)

Many thanks for any help:smashin:

2. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    I do as much as I can not because I get noticeable ill effects but the fact that no human is designed to eat wheat and the anti nutrients etc it contains are not good for anyone (did you know that cereal was invented to stop small boys masterbating)

It seems you have been looking for wheat and dairy free alternatives rather than just not eating anything to do with them which is easy.

All veg, meat, little bit of fruit, nuts/seeds are all you need :) if your stuck for ideas of what to have look up paleo diet

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    So doctors ruled out everything ? who did you go to for the further tests ?

4. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    Also look at getting either udo oil or a fish oil and some vitamin d3 5000ui

5. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I am dealing with labs directly, who offer a variety of health tests and send the results directly to yourself (from the lab) as a PDF attachment.

(Not sure if I am allowed to name the company?)

Basically, the doctors always blamed my complete lack of energy, headaches and constant nausea on depression and anxiety and refused to believe it may have had anything to do with food.

Edit: They have done numerous full blood counts, thyroid tests, CT's/MRI's (cant remember which), cortisol level checks, testosterone checks, and many more that I can't remember.

I asked 2 seperate GP's if they could run any food allergy type tests and they said no (as i don't have any toilet related problems) and that was the end of that. I am just waiting for my thyroid and glucose tests to come back from the labs, as my thyroid levels were once slightly off, but the doctor's refused to test it again (??)

Edit 2: I didn't realise that Jamesvicky - I will have a google :) thanks for the advice

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    Everything is to do with food, unfortunately most gps are ignorant to the fact because its not something they can prescribe

7. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    I'm vegan so no dairy. FWIW.

8. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    My 8 year old son is Wheat and Egg intolerant.
    It was diagnosed as soon as he started solids because he broke out in terrible rashes. At first he was allergic to everything including dairy and soya which meant that he had to stay on special thicker powdered milk stuff for longer.
    My wife and I (more my wife TBH) are now both conditioned into what he can and cannot eat and you would be surprised at the number of restaurants who cater for people with severe allergies.
    My wife is now a dab hand at making him breads using wheat free flour and we buy wheat free pasta.
    You are right, the ranges in supermarkets are quite limited, just a small section covering all products, but it is growing all the time, it certainly has over the last 7 years.
    Two of the biggest godsends for a small kids are the wheat free biscuits and pizza bases. It means that he can have a normal childhood (food wise) like his peers. Pizza hut for example will happily top his own pizza bases when we take him with his brothers.
    With regards to eating out, all I can advise is just to ask things like "Do you have a special dietary menu?" or "Are your chips wheat coated?" (Watch out for that one BTW).
    You will be surprised at the amount of times the waitress says she doesn't know then goes and asks and comes back with all sorts of options that even she didn't know about. The best response we had was from TGI Friday's. The chef himself came out with a big folder which listed the ingredients and possible allergy conditions for everything on the menu and went through it with my son himself! 5 star service for them.

Good luck, and hope you don't find it too life changing.

9. PocketBunny

PocketBunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +680
    My lady is a coeliac, so have been doing the gluten free thing for a while. The free from pasta is pretty good (I get fooled by it). Gluten free bread on the other hand is not great. Best that I've tried are the part baked free from rolls from sainsburys.

Also send off for trial pack from juvela. They send a huge box of assorted products for you to try out for free. Unsure if their stuff is dairy free too though, but certainly worth looking in to.

10. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    Got to give them props for that, wouldn't have thought they would have done something like that.

PS
    (I was assuming you was referring to taking your own wheat free base into Pizza Hut and they used that)

11. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    That's right.
    We just hand it over when we arrive and then they bring it out with his brothers so they can build their own pizza.
    Helps make him feel the "the same"
    They do provide wheat free bases too iirc.

He's starting to live with it too and can now recognise brands he can have. It makes me feel sorry and proud when you see him at a party politely refusing a packet of crisps or a sweetie.

12. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    Pizza Hut do a gluten free base anyway? I was impressed how they have a separate pizza wheel when I ordered so I knew there was no cross contamination.

13. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    Those lab companies are notorious for exaggerating the dairy/wheat intolerance when nothing else can be found because as has been said earlier the body is not designed to digest dairy and wheat even though a large proportion can.
    I was diagnosed early last year with ceoliacs and let me put you straight on a couple of points. Yes when I changed my diet I felt 1000% better after a couple of weeks as I probably had the disease for 15 years before that.
    Firstly there is a difference between an intolerance and something like ceoliacs and if as you say your body is producing "tons" of antibodies in response this would indicate you believe you have ceoliacs disease as a lactose or gluten intolerance would not have this effect. Ceoliacs is an auto immune disease where your bodies own antibodies attack the gluten in your small intestine which damage the lining and prevents you absorbing the nutrients in your food. 90% with ceoliacs lose weight(I didn't :-()

Secondly ceoliacs is quite an easy disease to test for, but it is also quite an easy one for the results to come back negative (I know of a couple of people that had 5 tests before a positive one came back. The reason for this was they were already avoiding the foods that troubled their stomaches hence a negative test). The first test they would carry out if you were troubled by tiredness would be a blood iron count. Now if your iron was low one of the causes could be ceoliacs and after ruling out other causes and ceoliacs is suspected then a 2nd blood antibody test is done. If this comes back positive then your GP would ask for an endoscopy and biopsies taken to confirm ceoliacs. Once diagnosed then you can receive gluten free products on prescription.

Now I would think it would be unusual to get headaches because of your intolerances so that could be something else.

As has been said before a lot of places will cater for a gluten/lactose free diet and now food labelling is getting better and some companies are producing alternatives. I do check every label i see though but it has just encouraged me to eat more fresh fruit and veg. plus my wife is brilliant and looks after me wonderfully, cooking great gluten free meals (she is a veggie so not much to change just thickeners and gravies). She also does me some great gluten free cakes/muffins?

Tesco are the best supermarket for choice but it's mainly the larger stores not the express. As for bread, it is generally awful but it's getting better. I get mine on prescription so I get what I am given but occasionally treat myself to the warburtons as it is the closest to real bread I have found. For gluten free stuff try www.ceoliac.org.uk for more information.

14. heathen666

heathen666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    I've been following the paleo diet for a couple of months, I haven't taken it to the extreme of some people but have cut out diary, gluten, soya etc. I do feel a lot better for it but sometimes it's difficult to stick to.

15. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I have looked through the results again today, and it seems that milks (dairy) are by far the "worst" according to the results, along with egg whites.

Wheat is in the "red" foods, but a lot worse than the dairy....hmm

16. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Mrs can't have milk proteins (well she can, but migraines etc, dosent die).

She gets soya milk, extra dark chocolate instead of milk/regular chocolate (80% or more cocoa solids), soya custard, soya icecream. You also have to check the back of packets really carefully, sometimes milk solids, milk proteins or other buttermilk in things you might not normally think of: crisps; bread; sauces; breakfast cereals. Lots of things use milk proteins as a thickening or bulking agent.

I still have cheese on my food but we have to avoid a lot of commercial stuff, and make things ourselves. Manageable but annoying.

17. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    For anyone here that has suffered such symptoms from these kinds of food intolerances,

Once you removed the offending food types from your diet, how long was it before you noticed an improvement health wise?

18. Tuddy

Tuddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    My Wife's exactly the same, Used to get cereal and Juvela bread (she says it's the best) but that's stopped now.
    Can get pasta and cake/bread mixes only now which is a bit annoying as she is now also diagnosed with an under-active thyroid which entitles her to free perceptions, selfish I know but you've got to get what you can.

19. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    I went from struggling to run at all to a 12 mile run after 2 weeks of changing my diet. Suddenly I was getting nutrients :)

20. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    I can only comment on what I have observed from my boy, but you can generally tell when he's had wheat or nuts. He'll maybe complain about a sore tummy and start itching and scratching maniacally.
    If he has something with egg, the effect is almost instantaneous. He will complain about feeling his throat closing then he gets all panicky and will eventually vomit. Then he feels rotten for the rest of the day.
    His symptoms are manageable with anti-histamines and steroid creams but I'd say that the effects clear in about 24 hours. (With the egg thing, we thought he'd get an epi pen but the doctor recons that it's not required. Havn't needed it so far - touch wood).
    Once you eradicate everything from your diet, you may start feeling better quickly. Thats the trick though, making sure that what you consume is free from allergens.
    We've been doing it for years now, so we know what we are looking for in the ingredients list.

21. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    I make this bread for my wife who is on a wheat/Gluten free diet. She loves it and it also makes nice toast.

I use Doves Farm Gluten Free Plain White Flour available in Tesco's.

450g gluten & Wheat Free flour
    3g salt
    7g yeast
    30g sugar
    2 tsp Xanthan gum
    325ml warm rice milk
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vinegar
    6 tbsp of Olive oil
    10 small handfuls of mixed seeds
    Gas 7 40/45 mins, 220c/200c fan oven/425f.

Mix together the flour, salt, yeast sugar and seeds.

In a large bowl beat in the milk, vinegar and eggs.

Add the flour and mix to form a sticky dough.

Continue mixing while adding the oil.

Place the dough in an oiled 1kg/2Ib bread tin and use the back of a large wet spoon to smooth the top of the mix, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

Bake in a preheated oven for 40/45 minutes

22. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Well I'm now one week into being dairy, wheat, egg and gluten free based on my blood results that I got back and I'm still not feeling great at all to be honest. I wake up every day with a splitting migraine and nausea that lasts all day long. Will see what week 2 brings

23. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    One week isn't really enough to be sure. A Coeliac gut can take several months to heal properly. And, if it's badly damaged, it can pass through large molecules into the bloodstream that wouldn't normally get through (called a leaky gut in layman's terms); this can cause secondary and tertiary allergic reactions with their own symptoms. There are a whole host of various symptoms for Coeliac disease and it's more common than not to just get a subset of them. Some of the less well known ones which I can suffer from if gluten-exposed, are depression, "the stupids" (much reduced cognitive ability) and arthritic joints.

I'm not saying you are Coeliac but your symptoms do not discount it. The only way of really knowing is to eat gluten for few days and have a biopsy performed of your small intestine.

If you're looking for food and recipe suggestions, try Coeliac (celiac in the US) forums and sites.

You could also try a full elimination diet - cutting back to the base and bare essential foodstuffs - no processed foods, a few steamed veg, etc. Then, in two weeks, once you feel better (if you do), add one new food stuff per week. FWIW, you can actually feel worse for sometime (days, a week perhaps) after you've removed an allergen from your diet.

Good luck.

(a Coeliac for 40-odd years)

And oh, I had to give up tea and coffee last year because I found that they were giving me extreme headaches bordering on migraine level and eczema.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  24. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    Sounds like you need to see a chiropractor

25. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  26. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
  27. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    :laugh: Sorry, I have more sense, and I know it would do as much good as jumping off a cliff in the same way I know that putting my bare hand in a fire would hurt like hell even though I've not done that either. :smashin:

28. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    Fool

29. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Well, if your definition of "fool" is someone not gullible enough to fall for any old wacky alternative medicine BS, then yes, that's me. I suggest that you educate yourself from objective sources rather than those with a vested interest.

You have a good day now.

30. Jameskatie

Jameskatie
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    I have and maybe its to complicated for you to understand, but your entitled to your opinion but don't let your views skew others chances of being migraine free.