1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone on 3?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by paiger, Jul 4, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks good, even for voice only. I'm looking at the NEC 606 but it's battery standby is only 42 hours! What's that all about.

Still £25 a month for 500 minutes is good and coverage looks awesome.

Comments?

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the NEC e606, cracking phone especially the 12 second video clip, can catch some funny reminders.

Phone has the two chargers which helps with the standby time.

If you use the 3g it does gobble battery.

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh nice touch is that all video clips and photo's can be uploaded to your pc.

If you fancy it, you could make your own clips on the pc and then watch 'em on the phone.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, do they use all the networks masts? Coverage seems superb. I'm on Orange at the mo whose coverage in my area is by far the best but have a Vodafone mast looking at my house about 3 miles away. It's the only place I can't get a signal!

What are they like for data? I use Bluetooth with my laptop and currently pay local rate for all data calls.

I like the look of the 606 but not sure I could cope with 42 hours after having a phone that lasts 10 days between charges. Do a lot of adventuring too so a long battery life is a bonus.

5. Gazkicka54

Gazkicka54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3 have 3G coverage to about 45% of the population, when not using 3's own network, they will use O2/GPRS...

Gar

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got 2 nec 606e on 3g does anyone else get a this service is not provided error message when trying to send a text message

thanks

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just to update you guys returned both my 3g handsets as there was a compatabilty problem with them and ntl land lines
    so freinds and family could not phone me , they said there were aware of this problem but could not give a date to fix it,

8. teabelly

teabelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The nec e808 has come out and that looks like it has better standby and talktime. Not as good as ordinary 2g phones but usable.

Onestopphoneshop seem to be doing the e808 free even on the £25 a month tariff so it is looking an even more attractive option.

The only remaining issue is whether it is possible to get a number on 3 then port in an older 2g number when you are sure the service is working ok.

9. Nigel Baxendale

Nigel Baxendale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to join 3 (I think) and will get an e606 (someones very good posting suggested onestopphoneshop who are providing the phone for free and giving £50 cashback if you connect to the 750 talkplan.

Apart from saying "wait for the sony ericsson" (can't find out any details on this handset yet anyway) are there any words of warning from anyone out there. I'm not concerned about the talktime/standby time as it doesn't seem too difficult to keep it charged up.

Also, I have heard that there were problems with NTL customers being unable to phone the 3 network. Can anyone offer an update?

Lastly (for now), can somone who already has an e606, or someone who knows about them answer the following?
    :lesson: How can the phone offer bluetooth for connection to a laptop, but not to a bluetooth headset?
    :lesson: Does the charger allow you to charge the phone and the spare battery at the same time?

Responses eagerly awaited!

10. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the problems with ntl have been resolved , you cant charge the spare battery unless its in the phone,

only advise is to subscribe to topshelf as soon as you can for 2 min downloads(more than enough time) cough cough,.:devil: :devil:

and i`m sure it uses the o2 network so dedending on what you think of that ,

02 not that good indoors where i am.:devil: :devil:

11. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have two Nec 606's for me and my wife...Returned them nearly immediately. Battery life is a joke and not useable when you use it a lot...Didn't last me a day. Also bluetooth is the data only standard, so much for handsfree calling...Network coverage is good in theory if it wasn't for the high number of drop-outs. Video calling was great fun, but the network is not mature enough in my opinion for the basic operation, i.e. use it as a phone....
    I went back to O2 and my trusty old 6210, though should be getting my free upgrade T610 on friday...
    Oh, and the customer service is the worst I'd ever encountered...Except that they accepted my return ofcourse ;)

12. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Customer service is a joke because you're dealing with someone in Bombay rather than Britain; phone line quality and their knowledge is dodgy at best.

3G (video) coverage is main cities only; if you live in one, best to lock the phone to 3G only so it doesn't keep switching between 2G & 3G at random.

Voice coverage uses O2's network, so dejongj didn't return to O2; he never left it!
    Bundled minutes are an absolute bargain; Video is more fun than useful; and unbelievably, you have to use the earpiece when making video calls, as the e606 doesn't make use of its own in built loudspeaker! Daft that.
    Battery life is indeed short by 2G standards; but they give you 2 chargers; one for work and one for home; sorted...

It's new, cheap, bit rough around teh edges, but it's still great, and much better value than any other network; if coverage is an issue, lock the handset to 2G only and just use it as a voice and photo service...

cheers,

13. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wellsi,
    Some fair points, but I didn't join 3 to just get a lot of free minutes I actually want those additional service but can't use them everywhere. Also the switch between 2G and 3G and vice-versa depending on coverage is not smooth and without dropped-calls.

I think it is a typical case of what works for one doesn't work for someone else.....

PS. I love my T610, with video calling it would be perfect....be patient....

14. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    That's fair enough dejongj;
    There's no internet; the battery life is crap and you can't even photo message to any other network.

The NECe606 is a great handset, (apart from battery & size!), but it's annoying that there are no inbuilt games either; you have to download to play, and you pay for a few days worth of play...
    The lack of use of inbuilt loud speaker for video calls was just plain stupid as well.

The only benefits of 3 are the fantastic bundled anytime / anynetwork minutes, and the fun of (basic) video. The handset itself comes with free insurance for 12 months (including water damage & theft from car!), and locking the phone to 3G only helps prevent the dropouts.

But it's clearly early days yet, and it's giving a wake up call to the other networks who try & charge £25 for 100 minutes & a few texts...

Cheers,

15. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paiger,
    Concensus I think is that the package with the free minutes is very good value for money and with the tips that wellsi has provided you can call alot and cheapish if you keep the Nec charged. I did like the handset a lot, yet it was bigish but not too big. I actually think that after several days of use my T610 is a bit too small, my fingers are constantly in front of the mic and I do not have large hands...
    There are some interesting tarrifs on other networks...O2 is doing the T610 for free I think (well I got it for free) with Online 200 which includes 200 cross network anytime free minutes, 2Mb GPRS, 500 Texts of which 125 MMS and 500 WAP minutes

16. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both the wife an I have 606e each and love them.

The video clips are great. I heard you can rip your own clips of DVD's or TV and store on the phone.

Yes I agree the signal drop out does happen but does not seem that often.

We have saved a bomb on our landline now, just incoming calls and any 0800 call now.

We are on the edge of 3g where we live, but most of 3g service is not high on our priority list.

The 15hrs of free call a month are. And the camera, and the 12 second video clips. And you can back it all up on your pc.

17. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Dont know if anyone cares?but if you upgrade your contract on orange you can go on to ALL the 3 tarriffs:smoke:
    I was thinking of taking my number and joining 3,but with all the problems with the new network,Ive upgraded to the 500 mins to any network+30 free texts for three months for only £25 monthly fee!!!!
    The only catch is you have been on orange for 12 months and you upgrade your phone(ive gone for the T610)
    Very good deal if you dont want the hassles that go with 3:nono:

18. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    True, although Orange wouldn't (and still don't) price match the 3 tarriff unless you state you're about to leave Orange. (no dealer nor even Orange customer services will match it; only dissconections will match it...!)
    But, I thought; why just match the 3 tarriff with Orange when 3 will also give me the fun of video texts and video calls included in the £25 per month? 3 are also much cheaper for calls if you manage to go through all your bundled minutes too.
    Horses for courses I guess... (and whether you live in a 3G area )

19. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can I change to 3 from Orange and take my number with me? Also, can I put a '3' sim card in my existing Nokia 6310i and use that? I need a phone with huge battery life and good data facilities and the 6310 is ideal.

20. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes steve,you can take your number with you but the sim card will not work in any other phone other than 3's range or an up coming sonyerricson due out at the end of the year!!!

21. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    That's not quite true I believe;
    My dealer has tested 3 sim cards on his sim free 2G phones, and can use them fine (for voice calls and texts).

There is mention in the NEC handset guide from 3 that their special 3G sim must never be put into a 2G phone; however that's more wishful thinking on their part to stop people just using them for their huge amounts of bundled minutes, and aviopding any possibilty of using the new and profitable video services...

22. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I reckon I'll hold off until this Sony comes out. The main reason I am asking is that I am going to stay on a remote scottish island for a few weeks in Sept and need coverage. O2 seems to cover the whole island whereas Orange doesn't. Maybe I'll have to actually have a holiday instead.

Any ideas on the spec of this new Sony? Also, with all these bundled minutes, is there an ISP that you can dial into to use them? At the moment, I am paying for data calls, ever since Orange stopped Orange.net:thumbsdow

23. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Can't help on any of those questions Steve, except that 3 use the O2 network for voice calls in areas without 3 coverage; the phone swithces over to "2G". So your new video phone would even work in the Orkney's! (but the video part wouldn't!)

24. Dustybin

Dustybin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont know if anyone's interested but the NEC e808 is on 3 to go for £49.99, just pay for what you use! I aint in a video area but what the hell, 50 notes for a colour phone cant be bad!

25. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Didn't know that; perhaps they're doing that because the e808 can't handle video calls; it can only do downloaded video clips and video text messages (12 sec video clips).
    Still a good deal though!

26. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    The Nec e808 DOES do video calls, it's the Motorola that can't.

I got my e808 from The Link for £39.99 on three to go.

It's worth it so I can recieve incoming video calls.

27. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Apologies; you're spot on; it's the Motorola beastie that's video-challenged!

28. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you sign up for an e808 on 750 the £35 a month tarrif you get a secound e808 on 3 to go for free

not sure how long this offer on for

read it today in paper

29. Dustybin

Dustybin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    CPWH are doing the buy 1 get one free as well!

30. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Anyone know anything about the Motorola A920? It's a new phone, and can be had for £79.99 on the Talk 750 plan (£199 on Talk 500).

I had an XDA but took it back after a week as the touch screen stopped working. It took them 2 weeks to get me a replacement, so I just got a refund instead.