Anyone noticed non-uniform focus on the HS10???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by John_N, Feb 7, 2003.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When playing with my HS10 using a HTPC over DVI last night, I noticed that if I focus the HS10 so that the centre of the screen is perfectly sharp, then the bottom of the screen is slightly out. Likewise focussing so that the bottom of the screen is perfect means that the centre is slightly out.

I'm using no keystone adjustment and the projector is square to the screen. The screen hangs vertically.

This effect is not noticeable on video - only on a page of computer generated text where you can see sharpness differences top to bottom.

I realise that the physics of the situation mean that there is very likely to be a focus difference between the bottom and the centre of the screen due to the different lengths of the light paths involved. I just wondered whether anyone else had noticed this effect over DVI.....

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hi John.

I run my HS10 over DVI and haven't noticed this. I use the projector for surfing the net aswell as watching films, and am looking for it right now, but can't see it. Maybe my vision isn't as sharp as yours.

Stop looking for faults and enjoy the quality.;)

Cheers

Rob

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, mine's perfectly focused throughout.

Sounds insignificant anyway - get watching more movies ;)

:smashin:

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello John,

I would say that the projector is not perfectly square with the screen, in all directions.
    Try tilting the projector up or down a little bit.

There is free test pattern download in this thread

Good luck,

Mark.

5. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mines slightly out of focus at some point too, but not enough for me to notice unless I am trying to focus using the binoculars like I do wwhen doing the astig on my CRT.

I dont know the raw prawn about it but I think it may be to do with the fact the image comes from the top half of the lens and not the centre, and in highschool and uni they taught me the closer to the edge you go the less uniform the focus.

Plus couple this with the fact the unit is level with the bottom, so the distance from lens to bottom is simply shorter than the distance from the lens to the top of the screen. Is a triangle from that greek guy, a squared plus b squared equals c squared type thing :lesson: :rotfl:

to get perfect uniformity in focus, which technically you cant, the lens would have to be centre of the screen

I think

:confused: :confused:

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thanks for the replies. It could be that the projector isn't perfectly square - the image fills my screen but I have it set to overscan by about 2mm each side onto the black and this isn't perfectly uniform so I don't suppose that helps.