Anyone noticed good/bad things with 2020 QLED firmware v2014.1

codlord

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw that Samsung brought out firmware 2014.1 for some 2020 models including the Q95T that I have. I turn off auto updates so I am still on firmware 1497.

I just wondered if anyone running 2014.1 on a 2020 QLED noticed anything good or bad with the new 2014.1 firmware?

I am currently holding off updating, this guy on youtube here doesn't seem happy at all with the update for gaming. He is getting strange clouding/banding on skies etc. See about 8 minutes in to the video although it's difficult to see well due to the filming and the terrible compression youtube uses.

I have a 2020 65" Frame, and the Art Store update was the biggest item I noticed in 2014.1. The SmartThings app connection has been greatly improved over the past few releases.

The newer v2016.1 app has a small but appreciated UI update where the on-screen volume display is disabled when sound is coming through eARC instead of the built-in speakers. I have lights on my Vizio soundbar to indicate volume level, so I was happy to be rid of the on-screen display that popped up every time I adjusted the volume.
EDIT: This must have been an anomaly after the update, because the on-screen display is back.

@cuke2u posted the following in the thread titled:
"Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)"

Update version 2014.1 - June 2021
  • A bug has been fixed where there could be compatibility problems with the One-Connect cable.
  • The Frame's art store has been updated.
  • A security update has been installed.
  • Fixed an issue with the Q700T that resulted in 8K resolution not being selected for some sources.
  • The channel scroll UI has been updated.
  • The flash memory usage has been optimized.
  • The WiFi connection has been improved.
  • An error that could occur during the app installation has been corrected.
  • SmartThings compatibility has been improved.

Last edited:
I have a 2020 65" Frame, and the Art Store update was the biggest item I noticed in 2014.1. The SmartThings app connection has been greatly improved over the past few releases.

The newer v2016.1 app has a small but appreciated UI update where the on-screen volume display is disabled when sound is coming through eARC instead of the built-in speakers. I have lights on my Vizio soundbar to indicate volume level, so I was happy to be rid of the on-screen display that popped up every time I adjusted the volume.
EDIT: This must have been an anomaly after the update, because the on-screen display is back.

@cuke2u posted the following in the thread titled:
"Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)"

Update version 2014.1 - June 2021
  • A bug has been fixed where there could be compatibility problems with the One-Connect cable.
  • The Frame's art store has been updated.
  • A security update has been installed.
  • Fixed an issue with the Q700T that resulted in 8K resolution not being selected for some sources.
  • The channel scroll UI has been updated.
  • The flash memory usage has been optimized.
  • The WiFi connection has been improved.
  • An error that could occur during the app installation has been corrected.
  • SmartThings compatibility has been improved.
Yes the brightness in bright and dark scenes it very over exaggerated its so annoying .😡

I just wondered if anyone running 2014.1 on a 2020 QLED noticed anything good or bad with the new 2014.1 firmware?
A bug has been introduced that causes audio connected via SPDIF to not work properly. Volume controls become "sticky" and the volume up/down keeps going for about 60 seconds.

See here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom