Anyone Noticed Amazon Prime Video Update TV And Mobile App Now Showing Dolby Vision /HDR Tag

marcd5123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all , Not sure how many folks spotted this but yesterday evening I noticed their seemed to be an update to the Prime Video LG App ..Suddenly all their are lots of TV Series and some films showing the Dolby Vision Tag next to the HDR tag ??.

I also went into the prime Video app on my Sony Xperia XZ premium mobile and this morning I noticed along with Prime Video 4K shows it now shows HDR Tag ???.

Thing is the app will still not engage HDR on the mobile and only 4K and the LG TV prime app only still engages 4K HDR and not Dolby Vision ??? Either they are finally upgrading their servers to stream Dolby Vison like Prime in the US or its a software bug ???

I own a LG 2017 49SJ810V

Anyone else have any comments on this ..:blush::love::thumbsdow:clap:

It looks like a bug, or something wrong in the server side data, and has been like this for a short while. The C8 app hasnt been updated in 3 months and the DV logo only appears at the top level of the app. It appears on far too many items to be realistic, and above all they dont actually play in DV of course.

It looks like a bug, or something wrong in the server side data, and has been like this for a short while. The C8 app hasnt been updated in 3 months and the DV logo only appears at the top level of the app. It appears on far too many items to be realistic, and above all they dont actually play in DV of course.

@jwsg snap that is what I was thinking ...however you never know .

In the US they do actually use DV more than HDR its just in EU they dont licencing issues however I am not sure if you are aware that their is 1 Prime Video title available in DV and DA sound and thats

"Jack Ryan" thats the only that Amazon Prime UK plays back in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos sound well it does on my TV anyway .

As for the Prime App on my mobile HDR tag defiantly was not their a day ago and the Dolby Vison Tag on my 2017 LG TV on most shows was not their on Friday past.

Heres hopping its not a bug and they are upgrading their servers ..which will at least give us all DV on their 4K prime TV shows and films like Netflix Does .We can only pray :thumbsup:

Any chance you could edit the thread title so that IT'S NOT SO SHOUTY?

There's no need for the capital letters.

Thanks.

It must be a bug. I see the same thing on a C7 where even 1080p SDR things, like Preacher, say they are in DV. Its clearly nonsense.
As a comparison, the Amazon Fire 4K stick makes no mention of HDR or Dolby Vision anywhere until you play the video. They are just listed as 4K on the homepage etc.
I suppose there is a minuscule chance it means they are working on something.

This is what I see.

The Dolby Vision tag is misleading. Playing these shows puts the picture mode into HDR, not Dolly Vision.
26DD6038-7F77-45AB-8071-ADAD10D6A40E.jpeg

Hi all , Not sure how many folks spotted this but yesterday evening I noticed their seemed to be an update to the Prime Video LG App ..Suddenly all their are lots of TV Series and some films showing the Dolby Vision Tag next to the HDR tag ??.
Are you able to give some examples of which TV series and films?

Quite a few under the “included with prime: 4K UHD” category are tagged at DV HDR

From what I can tell, anything tagged as 5.1 also has a Dolby Vision tag attached. It doesn’t matter if it’s 1080p, 4K, SDR or HDR. They are all tagged DV.
I might be wrong about that, but that’s the pattern I can see. It means nearly everything has automagically become DV. It’s clearly nonsense.
As if it wasn't hard enough already, it’s going to make finding true 4K HDR titles even harder.

Yeah, the DV tag is bogus. Wonder Woman is listed as DV on the home page and it’s clearly not.

Yeah, the DV tag is bogus. Wonder Woman is listed as DV on the home page and it’s clearly not.
So still only the 4K version of 'Jack Ryan' then.... Bummer!

Well we can only pray.. That maybe.. Just maybe Amazon are working on something.

To be honest Amazon are so.. So far behind Netflix regarding their app interface it way way overdue for a major upgrade. Fingers crossed.

Oddly enough I managed to grab my self a 4K firestick on prime day did not realy need it however as its basicly Andriod Driven its useful for sideloading apps ect. It's actually a dam good device and quality is fantastic.

I had done some playing around between the Prime app built in my LG TV and the 4K firestick and the quality of 1080p and HDR10 content still looks considerably superior using the Apps built in the LG this goes for Netlfix and bbc iplayer as well. The apps on the LG far better optimised than on the 4K firestick.

The 4K firestick is very fast indeed no dought about that and the Amazon prime video apps is way better on the firestick but for the apps on my LG still give far better picture quality preformance. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom