1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone noticed a DTS sound prob on FOTR:EE?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Andy.T, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I've meant to ask on here about this for a while, hehe. :)

I'm not sure if this is a disc/player/amp problem so I've posted it on here in the first instance.

On the DTS track of the Extended Edition of Fellowship of the Ring has anyone spotted a problem with the sound? It's like it's stopping/starting every now and again and is most noticeable on long, sustained musical notes.

Easiest place to spot/hear it is very near the end when Frodo makes up his mind what he is going to do. He is stood by the boats looking all resolute as the music builds and there are some long, sustained string notes. It really quite subtle but sounds like someone is pressing pause/play really quickly (an exaggeration but you get the idea).

Anyone else hearing this?

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Nope not on my system. Wonderfull sound throughout with no drop offs or sound anomalies. Perfect imo.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    This is a bug in some AV recievers, there is a firmware update for the Sony 555ES that fixes this, search the forum and you'll find it. If you don't have a Sony 555ES, contact the manufacturer of your AV reciever.

4. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    It was apparent on both my Denon 3802 and my new (to me) Denon-11SR. Is it specific to this disc? Any where I can read more about this fault?

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There are other discs it affects - Such as Blade 2. The problem affects the DTS 6.1 discrete audio track on some discs, it has been documented in this forum before - try doing a search on "DTS dropout"

6. derekduvalle

derekduvalle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I mentioned it in this thread.

However, I have to say I watched my R1 copy the other day and got 3 actual drop-outs during the film. I was not happy. If I went back and played the same section again, it didn't drop. Very strange.

8. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hmm, now I've gotten home I've checked if the problem is there on the DD soundtrack, and it is. :(

It is around 1:26:20 on disc 2 of the the R2 Extended Edition. I may try and get hold of an R1 copy to see if the problem is there too.

As it's not only the DTS track presumably this isn't the Amp fault/incompatability you mentioned Cybersoga?

9. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It may still be an AV reciever issue, there have been reported cases of drop outs with titles such as Jurassic Park III, Pearl Harbour, Disney's Atlantis and others because of the (experimental) use of the DDEX flag and it upsetting some AV recievers, that's why most modern DDEX titles don't have the flags - i'm not sure about Lord of the Rings though.

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have the R2 extended version. I just played disc 2 in both DD-EX and DTS-ES from 1:25:00 to 1:27:00 and there's no drop out or glitch of any kind. I also tried the "problem areas" mentioned on the link above and there was none. I did have problems with the DTS-ES soundtrack before I updated the firmware in my AV Reciever, it had problems "locking on" to the audio.

11. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Andy could it be the artefacts from the audio being repitched on the R2 and R4 to compensate for the PAL speedup? I heard this was on both the EE and the standard version, I only have R1 of both so I've never heard it myself but from your description that might be it.

12. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes pitch correction on the R2, R4 releases does present the occasional sound drop out, it would be easy to miss them if you were not listening for them though. And yes they are most noticable during long sustained musical notes.

13. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Aye, that sounds plausible, like I say I may try and get hold of the R1 version and see if that fixes it.

14. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I had a few DTS drop outs including on the R1 extended FOTR with my Tosh 520. When I changed to a Philips 963 all the drop outs went away. Both were conected with Coax to a Denon 3801...

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba and a Sony Amp and havent noticed any of these drop put problems on the region 1 4 disc version of Lord of the Rings, i did notice a few on Die Another Day but when i went back to the spot it played fine.

16. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I acquired a copy of the R1 and am not having the same problem. I guess it could be the pitch correction as described above.