1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone not bothered by the red dot?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Sinzer, Sep 16, 2003.

?
  1. I love that little red dot!

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  2. I hate the red dot!

64 vote(s)
    78.0%
  3. I don't really care

17 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    With all the bad press of the poor red dot, is there anyone out there who doesn't mind it?

Personally, I really don't care if it is there, never bothers me as I just ignore it (I use filtering in my brain!). Also, I am ok with the channel logos too, sometimes I even find it handy to remind me what channel I am watching .

On another note I was watching Firestarter 2:Rekindled last night, very amusing, is this a mini-series? It said to be continued, when is the next Episode on (I don't have a TV guide ?:eek: )

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Add got Freeview - unaffected

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,381
    I think it is more annoying than the on screen logo’s.

4. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    So annoying I won't watch the programe any more, I'd rather change channel (even from RI:SE to GMTV!!!)

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,381
    As posted in the What Is The Worst TV Channel? Thread I hardly tune into Ch4 because of it more of a case of not going there in the first place.

6. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
  7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    find its best not to watch tv, what red dot?

Gary

8. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Are you refering to the red dots on sky digital channels?
    If so, then why don't you clear the dot by pressing back-up
    on your sky remote?

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,381
    Most of us do but if you star channel hopping it comes back. It you use the sat box to record W/S programs whist you are out it will pop up and there is no way of getting rid of it on a recording. Lastly it did not work the other night with the Ch4 and they had something to defeat that trick (or at least I think they did) and the red dot popped back on and on etc.

10. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    This is a wind up right? . Let me ask you this - would you mind the same sort of logo's and red dots when you go to the cinema, or watch a DVD?. We pay good money to watch programmes on tv, and not to have the screen cluttered with crap.

sheesh, i hope you're in the minority.:rolleyes:

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It dosen't bother me...I record all the programmes I want to watch on Sky+ and the dot dosen't appear on recordings.
    If I do on the rare occasion watch something live, I press pause for 2 seconds and then play...hey presto, no red dot!!

12. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Now that's a good idea....

13. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I must say that the red dot doesnt bother me at all.

It always cracks me up the fuss some people make over it.

It's nearly up there (not quite) with people who bang on about French writing on DVD covers, or people searching the worlds surface for 50p off their DVD purchases.

Just my casual observation.

Adz

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,381
    Some people spend fortunes on buying the best TV, plasma etc for the best picture they can get why then would the want it ruining with logos and red dots?
    It is tantamount to drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

As to the French writing I think that is an other matter if I had one I would not be looking at it whilst watching the DVD.

15. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    with you on all points Garrett

16. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Dunno, guess i just got more important things to worry about.

Adz

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    my whole life revolves around the premise of owning a plasma tv and a £6k+ THX certified surround kit :D :D :D

18. CatDog

CatDog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you who don't mind the red-dot, how would you feel if they followed a similar ploy on the audio track. Imagine if every 30 seconds your movie or show is interrupted by a voiceover saying 'Press red for interactive now !'.

Oh my god - I pray the Sky marketing people don't see this !

19. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How can you NOT mind?!

Aside from the fact that we are PAYING for the digital service (which makes it an insult to have the image blighted with on screen graphics in the 1st place), it is also the thin end of the wedge...

We have already seen small examples of animated graphics on Sky (Simpsons 300th Episode, ITV News Ticker, MTV Dance Logo etc.), but in the US they have gone 1 step further and done away with ad breaks on some ststions replacing them with continual ads along the bottom of the screen throughout the TV shows!:mad:

Where will this end? I dread the day TV ends up looking like a website. :mad:

The logo idents are also pointless on digital TV as anyone with half a brain can press the select button to know what channel they're watching and see whats on next.

The "Up Next" graphic and voice over at the end of programmes and the credits squashed to the left side of the screen are also very annoying and pointless. I'm surprised programme makers haven't kicked up a fuss about this practise.

People on the forum give out about edge enhancement on DVD's and the artifacts in MPEG2 compression never mind intentional garbage added by TV companies which is far more detracting to the image. :mad:

The print on my Sky remote Backup button has worn off thanks to the red dot - I wonder can I get a free replacement from Sky? :D

20. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got nothing to add except...

DEATH TO THE RED DOT!!!

Thank you.

21. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agreed the red dot must die, infact all DOGS should

Living are the worst advertising in HUGE pink letters stuff like most haunted weekend starts in 3 days. Luckily CSI is nearly over

One channel, ITV I think, is awful. Not a little red dot but a huge bluddy square one with press red to go interactive

I watch almost everything through SKY+ now if only it could get rid of channel logos too

22. erikthecat

erikthecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    r3d dot, i hate you.

channel idents, hate you too!

we pay subscription for this, why don't we get the choice if we see the above or not?

why do we pay a subscription, and then get forced to watch advertisements.
    are we therefore inadvertently paying for our viewing twice?

increase in the volume level during ad breaks, this is the worst!

...and relax:)

GaRy:)

23. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hate the dot, hate logos, hate the spin of 300 channels when 150 of them are +1hr, hate the holliday, shop, makeover which are another 100 at least and with you on the sound level increase during the 20 mins out of the hour adverts but hate even more the ecconomic model of Sky. I do wish freeview put up a better alternative. :mad::mad:

24. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree death to the little red dot and any digital logos located anywhere else on the screen nothing to do with the programme or film!

25. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's got anything to do with how much money you have spent on your TV it's the fact that it's there and it's unwanted. It is in no way comparable with French writing on a DVD case which doesn't really bother me because it doesn't affect the actual film in the way that the red dot does!

Like others on here I cannot see how you cannot be bothered by the red dot.

26. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Doesn't bother me at all having got to used to pressing Backup for the last few years. I do record a lot of progs on Sky+ and watch them later so you don't get the red dot either.

John

27. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

I agree - death to all on-screen clutter, no matter what form it comes in! Sky treats us like two-year-olds, with the red dot, and with DOG's as well! :mad: If I need to know what channel I'm watching then are plenty of other ways that I can find out, without being reminded all the way throughout the programme.

For me, the DOG's would be similar to a computerised voice in your car, telling you "You are driving a Ford Mondeo" (or whatever brand of car you are driving) all the way throughout your entire journey. You could press a button to silence it, but then everytime you hit a red traffic light, it would start-up again!

Or what if everytime you used water in your house, the appliance (taps, kettle, washing machine, etc) kept saying to you "Hey, your water supply comes from Anglian Water" (or wherever).

Wouldn't you get just a bit :censored: off?! I know I would. And that's why I hate the red-dot and all the other on-screen junk we get subjected too.

In fact, seeing as we all pay for Sky, the red-dot and DOG clutter we are subjected to is probably more akin to buying your car, and then being forced to drive around with a bloody great advert for it on the bonnet!

Anyone who likes this stuff, should be forced to have advertising put-up on every item in their house, including annoying synthesised voices and jingles, for an entire year, and then see if they like it!

Oh, and for Garrett, or anyone else who wants to record shows from Sky without red-dots or other interactive features, you can do "Add Channels" and type in the relevant frequency, et al, using the following list, which is available here! (56k users be warned. This site is image-heavy!) Unless it says otherwise, only enter the frequency as shown, but leave all the other relevant stuff (27.5, 2/3, etc) as it already is on your Sky digibox, and then everything should work fine. Just remember to record from the Other Channels section, and not the usual Sky channel, if you don't want to be infected by red-dots! (I've got C4, E4, Sky 1, Sky Mix, MTV, VH1, VH2, and Toonami included in my Other Channels list, because they are the channels I tend to want to record from, and who have a bad track record of using red-dots and other similar interactive stuff!)

Pooch