1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone need a sharp LC37GA4E chassis?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Sledge, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey All,

I managed to smash the screen on my LC37GA4E over the weekend.

It was either the LCD or drop my kid.

Waiting on the insurance assessors to come take a look but I do have new for old replacement thankfully. The only issue is this set isn't made anymore and I need one with a DVI input as using it for my media center PC.

Have spoken to sharp and the replacment model (LC37GA6E) is out in September so hope I can get that as the replacement and not a 5E without the DVI.

The cost to repair was £12000 (Yes that's twelve thousand).

Thought their might be someone with a 5 Series 37" who might want to try and whack their panel into my old chassis and gain a DVI input. It's more than likely going to go into the garbage bin.

Will post some screenies later of the damage done and what it looks like powered on.

:(

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What were you doing trying to carry a 37" LCD and a child ?

3. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose my 1st post could be construed that way. No I tripped on one of said childs toys and it was either drop the kid to stop myself going over or land in the LCD.

Pity no one was recording me as it would've made a good Monty Python skit.

On a brighter note Sharp are releasing the LC37GA6E in September which is a direct replacement but with a freeview box included.

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Note to self: Keep childrens toys and LCD in different rooms!

How would we go about interfacing a working screen with the chasis you have?
    I think this could be why they are asking for 12000 quid to repair it!
    I wouldnt know where to begin. Does anyone out there know how to do something like this?

5. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure really. Was thinking of having a look inside once the insurance adjustor has written it off and checking how easy it would be to whack a 5E screen in there.

These are going fairly cheaply now and I can't imagine the panels themselves have changed between models. Should be interesting pulling a £2200 piece of kit to pieces though.

I suppose I could knock the panel out and put a nice painting in there.