Quantcast

Anyone mounted their plasma on plasterboard wall?

codlord

Standard Member
There has been plenty of discussion on this topic before - do some searches on "plasterboard" or "stud wall" or similar and you should find lots of info. Basically, if it's a internal frame/plasterboard wall then you will need to mount on the wooden framework rather than the plasterboard or add some more framework to support the plasma.

GarethH

Standard Member
Thanks I already did a search under plasterboard, but the other search provided more results thanks. Phoned a guy who's good at this stuff and he said he's fitted kitchen cupboards that weighed more onto plasterboard! He uses special screws or something!

codlord

Standard Member
Ask him if the kitchen cupboard cost £3000

Yeah, you can get various plasterboard screws but personally I would never be happy with something like a plasma hanging off the plasterboard alone.

hogwash

Standard Member
mine is on the platerboard wall too , with all 12 holes filled with those fixings above , i hung my fat little body off it with my arms and i weigh more than 28kg i am sorry to say and it is SOLID so i can recommend them

GarethH

Standard Member
The guy is coming around next week to check the wall. It seems there is a solid wood piece down the right side! Hopefully it all goes well cuz i can't wait to get the display!

symanski

Novice Member
Drywall, plasterboard, gypsum etc etc. Good for walls, poor for hanging stuff from. Especially with modern building techniques where only a few "drywall" screws are used rather than 40/60 nails.

All is not lost though! You just need to mount on to what the drywall is mounted on to! You could have metal studs, or more traditional wood. New "traditional" build houses use dob and dab, where a few dolops of plaster hold the drywall to the inner brick. Again, need to mount to the brick rather than the drywall.

The builder of the house I'm in has a motto "Better build houses". I'd like to know, better than whom? I wouldn't trust hanging my plasma on the drywall here. Infact, even the toliet roll holders fell off....

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Top Bottom