Question Anyone match a centre for AE109

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Skirge, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Skirge

Skirge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Searched The forum and seen this asked many times but there seems to be no conclusion, I know the AE 107c gets recommended but seems that it is not very good and doesn't really match.
    I am using AE109 as my fronts and rears and am currently using a Polk Audio CS250s centre, I adore the 109's and really don't want to change my fronts just to get a match.

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    I tried an AE107C and found it was a poor match for the AE109. In the end I bought a used pair of AE109 and just laid one on it's side as a centre (I had quite a wide TV unit at the time). It sounded much better with this matching speaker, even if it wasn't ideally located. I don't know if any of the later AE centre speakers might be worth trying as they should be pretty cheap used these days, so not a huge risk if it doesn't work out as you could just sell it back on.

3. Skirge

Skirge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks but extreme to use a 109 as a centre but I admire your dedication lol I guess trial and error with other AE cenres may be the only option to try and find a match

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    I guess it was a bit extreme, but I was coming to realise something that I've since always stuck with; having a fully matching LCR gives the best sound stage across the front. No timbre changes with panning and another critical thing is that since running fully matched LCR I never seem to suffer from that issue where speech is too quite and sound effects take over.

No doubt people will claim that room eq solves all, but having tried manual eq, Audyssey and now Dirac I still believe that getting the basics right is important.

5. Skirge

Skirge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am not suffering quit voices during action scenes tbf, maybe I am being to picky. I might have a play with manual eq and see if I am any happier with it.