Anyone managed to get their E85 and LG4120B to work together?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bigsby, Dec 21, 2004.

1. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Has anyone actually managed to get their Panny E85 to work with their LG4120B drive when using RAM discs?

I had assumed that I would be able to record on RAM on either and then transfer it to the other. Not so. I know that others have had problems as there was this thread a while back:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153280

But has anyone managed to get them to work together? I've already ruined a couple of RAMs :rolleyes:

2. SteveDangerous

SteveDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope.

There is also a thread about this problem on the DigitalSpy forums.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=153653

I bought an external enclosure and a Samsung DVD-ROM drive whch can read DVD-RAMs. However, this is not an ideal solution, as I find that odd blocks of data (up to 64K) get corrupted when copying the large VRO files onto my hard disc. I have a useful and powerful Hex Editor which I bought for another purpose that I use to correct the data when this corruption occurs, but it's all a bit messy. I initially thought that the corruption was being introduced in my PC's bus, but after a major PC failure which resulted in a new (and different) motherboard and a new hard disc I find that the problem still occurs. The only elements which are the same are the enclosure and the DVD-ROM drive, so one of these must be unable to cope with the continuous transfer of large amounts of data.

Getting back to the LG4120, has anybody with the problem tried upgrading the firmware? Has this helped?

Steve

3. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh well, looks like another reason to go for the Tosh over the Panny... or at least to NOT buy the LG drive.

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a tosh with an LG4120 and so far no problems with DVD-Ram's

Maybe the LG4160 might be better

5. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have an E85 and an LG 5120 External drive. No problems at all reading files written by the E85. Havent tried the other direction yet.