Anyone managed a deal on o2?

Simebaby

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Peeps

My renewal is up - at the moment I have a 3GS. I'm on the old £36 / month contract with unlimited internet. The deals on the website don't look too appealing - especially making me pay an extra £6 / month for 500MB of internet access. Also I don't want a 24 month contract if I can help it.

Has anyone phoned o2 and managed to get a better deal than advertised? What did you get? I harassed them over the phone last time and managed to get the phone for free whist keeping my existing contract.

TIA

Si. :)

I bought my 4s outright from Apple to keep my old unlimited data deal from O2.

I've phoned O2 several times threatened to leave if I don't get a better deal. But each time I get turned down

When I just left O2, they said they could have done a great deal for me on the 4S due to being a longstanding iPhone customer. I asked if they would have matched my QuidCo deal and package unlimited data like 3 and then cancelled, as you can imagine the reply!

I have just come to the end of my 18 month iPhone 4 contact. I was paying £31 a month for 100 mins, 500mb data and unlimited texts. I wanted to stay on the O2 network as I'm happy with the 3G coverage in my area.
I rang them last week, got through to retentions and asked for my PAC code as I said I was moving to Tesco as their deals are better. The bloke put me on hold and came back with 3 deals. I ended up taking a 12 month contract @ £27 a month, 300 mins, 1gb data, unlimited texts and a white iPhone 4S 32gb. The phone cost £300 but as I sold my iPhone 4 for this amount, in effect it's not cost me a penny. On the 12 month deal I'm on the phone should of been £425 and the contract should have been £31 a month with less data.

I upgraded from Simplicity for iPhone to the following a couple of weeks ago:

12 months contract
iPhone 4S 64GB £250
800 mins, unlimited texts, 500mb data £42 per month

Total cost £754

Really happy with this as it would have cost £790 if I'd gone through Tesco (I registered with Tesco but was still waiting for them to contact me when I called O2). :)

I've been with O2 for years now on one of the old unlimited data ones but a couple of months ago changed to a simplicity deal halving that cost. Was initially going to switch to Tesco as the deals looked better and during a conversation with an O2 rep via the online chat thing i enquired as to when i could cancel only to get a text two days later from them saying sorry i was leaving and my contract would end on such a date.

Once the Tesco thing dragged on a bit and after seeing something from someone on here saying they got a deal i rang up O2, mentioned about them cancelling my contract without me asking due to a misunderstanding and saying i was looking at moving anyway. Straight away the lady said to hang on to see if they could do anything. They came back and offered me 500mins, 500mb, unlimited texts for about £32 per month i think and then a 32gb 4S for about £170 i think it was....cant remember the exact details but it was something like that.

If you have been with them for a while on a proper Pay Monthly contract then i think they are willing to move a bit and offer you a deal.

Just phoned and threatened to leave got offered free 4s 800 mins unltd texts 500mb 18 months

500mb just isn't great these days.

I want to listen to internet radio, watch TV and tether it to my laptop when out and about. With all that in mind 3's One Plan seems to be the most suitable.

Got a new deal today
£32 each month 300mins, 500mb unlimited o2-o2
£145 for 32GB

My contract is up in january but can upgrade from December, is it best to wait till jan to try to get better deal? Or will I still be able to get deal in december?

Just ring up and say you want the PAC code and do a bit of homework first about the best deals around look a Giff gaff for example. Depends if you want a new phone or sim only etc. they will do a good deal for you.

My 18month ip4 deal ran out last week, I had planned on going for a giff gaff payg until the next iPhone comes out. I honed and asked for my PAC code and the reasons why and they immediately offered me 300minutes,unltd texts and 500mb data for £7.50 rolling contract.

I was with o2 since it was BTCellnet many moons ago. They said they could do me a good deal as a long standing customer, but nothing anywhere near 3. I switched and haven't looked back.

O2 wouldnt budge for me despite me being a customer for years. I switched from one of the old unlimited data tarriffs to Giffgaff and havent looked back since.

So you're happy with Giffgaff then? I've just bought an iPhone 4S from Apple Store (4 hours ago!) and have been thinking of going to Giffgaff, but there's a fair bit of negativity on forums. Mostly about their total lack of customer service.

Rang today payg customer 13 years
No deals on ip4s for me but gave me 500mb of data package for £6 a month I only use a couple of quid a month on calls so got cheaper call that I was paying and £30 of credit
As I was not ona contract she couldn't do anything fair enough

So ordered a ip4s from apple direct on 10 months % free

How much should I sell my 2year old ip3s for ? £100

So you're happy with Giffgaff then? I've just bought an iPhone 4S from Apple Store (4 hours ago!) and have been thinking of going to Giffgaff, but there's a fair bit of negativity on forums. Mostly about their total lack of customer service.

Go over to certain forums and people swear by Giffgaff as its the best thing since sliced bread. They will say that because everyone on Giffgaff get commission signing people up and posting on their forums.

My experience with giffgaff is, its suits my usage fine. I can be on £15 400 mins tarriff one month, and £20 800 mins the next month if I find that I will be using the phone a bit more that month.

Firstly, the bad things:

- post on their forums and you'll get 20 different users giving the same answer to your question. They all want kudos points which convert into credits :laugh: Personally, I can't be bothered with that rubbish.

- anything goes wrong and you have to post on the forums for help , or message the Giffgaff 'Agents' (who are Staff members I think). In most cases things are sorted fairly quickly.

- Parts of the site or certain services like porting number and, like message the Agents has a tendency to be down ocasionally, so the only other way to get hold of an Agent is message a 'senior' giffgaff member who contacts the agent. I have gone through this, and its frustrating when it happens but its not enough on its own to make me want to leave the network :)

- People claim because the network piggybacks on O2, the data speeds will be slower. I personally havent experienced slower data speeds.

And now the good things:

- 'truly' unlimited data starting from only £10 per month for 250 mins. I dont use data that heavily but I do like my 'Tune In Radio' when I'm at work. I find that even when using it as liberally as possibly I rarely go anywhere near 1Gb per month !!! I have read of some users really killing the unlimited data to 20Gb per month. Surely its not possible to do that unless youre tethering?? LOL

- Tethering is NOT officially allowed on the 'normal' tarriffs. They have separate goodybags for those. But, as long as you dont go overboard like some people moaning on the GG forums, and only tether sparingly you wont get asked any questions.

- Lots of people join GG because it is the only network to offer truly unlimited data. I personally think 500Mb , and 1Gb limits are enough for MOST people. Only those who are tethering all day every day will go above that. Whilst I like the unlimited data I have a feeling they will stop it fairly soon.

All in all, a good network, but ask the same question on HUKD and GG forums and you'll get bombarded with answers on how good it is, etc. I'm just being realistic, and it suits my needs fine for the moment. I'll change over to somewhere else as soon as the service, data, or costs go downhill

Work colleague phoned O2 on Friday to renew her contract and was offered a rubbish deal, so she complained, said that Vodafone were doing a better deal and she was off there and wanted the code to transfer her number across. They put her through to retentions and they offered her the same contract she was on (it was £35pm I believe) for £27pm and she is getting the iPhone 4S for £15. Yes... £15. Jammy #$&@%!

Work colleague phoned O2 on Friday to renew her contract and was offered a rubbish deal, so she complained, said that Vodafone were doing a better deal and she was off there and wanted the code to transfer her number across. They put her through to retentions and they offered her the same contract she was on (it was £35pm I believe) for £27pm and she is getting the iPhone 4S for £15. Yes... £15. Jammy #$&@%!

Excellent deal if indeed it is the 4S and not the '4'.

I personaly havent got the patience to stick with a phone for 2 years, so generally buy all mine offline ;)

Thanks for all your info Prof. I've ordered my micro SIMs from Giffgaff and getting my PAC code from T-mobile. In the meantime I tried to cut down my T-mobile SIM but the iPhone says no SIM inserted. Tried everything but will just wait for the Giffgaff SIM.

Thanks for all your info Prof. I've ordered my micro SIMs from Giffgaff and getting my PAC code from T-mobile. In the meantime I tried to cut down my T-mobile SIM but the iPhone says no SIM inserted. Tried everything but will just wait for the Giffgaff SIM.

the microsims from gg are just sims sent by members (who get commission :) and all they do is use a sim cutter tool bought from ebay - I cut my own sim down using the tool and its worked fine.

The problem comes when you then try to insert the same sim in a normal sim adaptor for use in a phone other than the IPhone 4/4S. Luckily I have an a 'proper' adaptor supplied by O2 when I was with them and it works fine should I ever need to go back to a non-Apple phone.. :D

After numerous phone calls today, my missus finally settled on the following deal:
12 Month contract
500 Minutes
Unlimited Texts
500MB internet
190 quid for 16GB 4S
35 Quid a month and 6 months free on our BB.

But she has literally made 30 calls to them all day today and she is proper stressed :-D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom