Anyone lowered their working gas fireplace/surround for their tv?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all...well just recently moved into a new place ..which I still need to do up and 'de-granny' ...bit stuck on TV placement ..the best place is going to be above a gas fire place...

I had originally planned to rip it out but have quiet enjoyed having it on during these cold snaps ..so would like to keep it...although I plan to modernise it a bit .

Anyway as I don't want the TV that high up I thought about shortening the the fire place surround ..might have to cut the stone too..probably a foot and a half or something.

Basically so the top of the surround will be about level with the top of the wall paper freeze thingy you can see in the pic..
Don't think it's going to look too odd..maybe sort the brass out to black and redo the surround ..then mount the TV above .

IMG_20210213_140937.jpg

Wondering this distance and the fire surround being there will be enough to protect the TV from Any heat from the gas fire....fire is flued by the way ..so most of the heat is probably going up the chimney

Could always put something a bit more substantial in later ...maybe change the fire for a more modern one later

Didn't know if anyone has done something similar ..or other any advice on if its going to be a problem .....before I get my new power saw and diamond blade cutter out .

Cheers

Last edited:
any thoughts peeps....good/bad idea?

got cheap thermometer to try out and see what sort of temps are put out above the fire

Thought a fair few people on here would have TVs above fireplaces

I had a fire place almost exactly the same as yours. Took it out completely. Mine was an offset balanced flue, no chimney as such so made life easier. My mate who has a slightly different shaped house on the same estate kept his fireplace and put a 55'' and soundbar above it. Far too high to watch comfortably.

I wouldn't want to put a TV above a working fire, as nice as they can look.

Thanks
Yeah original plan was to strip it out ..did the same at my last house
Was nice to have on during the cold weather though.
Thing is I work odd hours..it's handy for when you come home late and don't want to wait for the central heating to warm up.

Currently have the TV in the corner ..which the jury is still out on .
I have downsized my av gear and intended to use my quad set up for 2:1..which I can't do in the corner .

Thanks
Yeah original plan was to strip it out ..did the same at my last house
Was nice to have on during the cold weather though.
Thing is I work odd hours..it's handy for when you come home late and don't want to wait for the central heating to warm up.

Currently have the TV in the corner ..which the jury is still out on .
I have downsized my av gear and intended to use my quad set up for 2:1..which I can't do in the corner .

Get a Nest thermostat or similar and turn the central heating on via your phone before you leave for home...

Yeah funny enough I fitted hive yesterday!....had it before in my last house ...
That's what I used to do ..fire it up half an hour before I was home

Well going back to this ....in between doing the kitchen and bathroom i decided to get the plumber to remove the gas fire .

Having tried a few different ideas it had to go

.....plumber gave me an idea though ..about maybe fitting a small wall mounted electric flame effect one ..which I'm now thinking about .

Anyone recommend one for being closeish to a telly above it ...where the heat either comes out the front or the bottom as opposed to the top ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom