Anyone lived in India?

JUS

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I may be going to India to work for a year or two and was wondering if anyone else had done it.

My company would pay to ship everything in my house (they wont pay for storage). So I'll be taking a lawn mower even though I'll be in an apartment :rolleyes:

Has anyone taken their home cinema? Just wondering if I could get sky HD working, whether it's safe to ship my 50" plasma, are voltages the same etc

I may be going to India to work for a year or two and was wondering if anyone else had done it.

My company would pay to ship everything in my house (they wont pay for storage). So I'll be taking a lawn mower even though I'll be in an apartment :rolleyes:

Has anyone taken their home cinema? Just wondering if I could get sky HD working, whether it's safe to ship my 50" plasma, are voltages the same etc
I have been to India around 20ish times over the last 30 years due to family there, and on the odd occasion have stayed/lived for up to two months - depending on where you are you can live like royalty

Not sure about sky HD or any HD, but they they have Star TV as the main multichannel/satellite provider; cheap as chips, also owned by Murdoch I believe and tonnes of the usual channels (CNN, BBC World, ESPN, MTV, sci fi, et al along with various Indian channels). I personally wouldn't ship a plasma, because of the bugs that might get inside it, I'd probably sell or leave it. Voltages are more or less the same, TV is PAL, the plugs/sockets are the same as continental Europe.

The quality of television depends on where in the country you are. You will get all the major international channels as mentioned by krish in any of the big cities. However, I certainly wouldn't take a home cinema out there. The electicity supply is so unreliable, it'd most likely damage your equipment. The voltage varies pretty much constantly and power cuts are frequent. You'll probably have a generator installed outside your appartments as a permanent feature for this reason. Also, the driving conditions are terrible and you will be driven off the road by every truck.
However, for all it's negatives :rotfl:, I would definately recommend going out there. You can live affluently for peanuts and the culture is amazing.
Where abouts are your company looking to put you?
EDIT: Definately no HD out there!

I've lived in Manchester and have been out for a curry many times - does that count :confused:

Anyway - back on topic....

If you do move to India then at least be consoled in the fact that they have a version of "Little Britain" currently showing (warning: contains one expletive) :smashin:

CLICKY

:D

Been to India plenty of times. Infact going for 3 weeks in July.

My top tip? Don't take any electricals from here, they just simply aren't designed to work in a very dusty environment. Forget about shipping the plasma.

I gurantee you will have atleast 3 power cuts during the day.

Not sure if your going to be driving - but in India normal driving rules don't apply. Drive like a madman, thats the only way you'll get where you are going.

Remember the order goes like this: Trucks - Buses - 4x4s - Small cars.

Where abouts in India are you going to?

Oh and internet access is virtually non exisent in India. You might be able to get some access in big cities.

Been to India plenty of times. Infact going for 3 weeks in July.

My top tip? Don't take any electricals from here, they just simply aren't designed to work in a very dusty environment. Forget about shipping the plasma.

I gurantee you will have atleast 3 power cuts during the day.

Not sure if your going to be driving - but in India normal driving rules don't apply. Drive like a madman, thats the only way you'll get where you are going.

Remember the order goes like this: Trucks - Buses - 4x4s - Small cars.

Where abouts in India are you going to?

Oh and internet access is virtually non exisent in India. You might be able to get some access in big cities.

I was there for a while in Sept, and Internet acceses was fine, even in semi rural areas (the pind!), India is an amazing country, sort of lingers inside you long after you have left it.

Would not even contemplate driving, its cheaper just to hire a driver for a week or even a month, and safer.

Here's a reason why, its me, the missus , her sister and her friend (a young white girl who has never been outside Europe) coming back from the Golden temple in a motot rickshaw, worth playing with sound .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4oo9A4RMz4

JUS , I think this may answer your query about taking your stuff to India.

LINK

I was there for a while in Sept, and Internet acceses was fine, even in semi rural areas (the pind!), India is an amazing country, sort of lingers inside you long after you have left it.
I'm just going by what other people have told me. I've heard you only get a couple of hours of internet access. Where my pind is, we don't get no internet access. Might have some in the share though. Besides who wants internet access when you've got a beautiful country to explore. I have to say that I love visiting India because it feels like "home" more so than England some times. Not sure I can explain it.

We are going during the Indian summer this time round, it's going to be hell lol.

Would not even contemplate driving, its cheaper just to hire a driver for a week or even a month, and safer.
Yup hire a driver, some local is always good. Treat him like a friend though :smashin: Not an employee.

Here's a reason why, its me, the missus , her sister and her friend (a young white girl who has never been outside Europe) coming back from the Golden temple in a motot rickshaw, worth playing with sound .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4oo9A4RMz4
LOL :rotfl: We are you covering you mouths? The smell can't be that bad. I know I've been to India loads of time, and more than enough times to Amritsar. Should have gone in the Tata Sumo 4x4 :smashin: Smashin cars.

God that brings back memories. The sounds and sights. All I need now are the smells... roll on October!!
Ahhh yes the smells. Theres place near my college that smells exactly like my pind, and every time I go there. It's like I get instantly transported back. It's great.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been to India with the wifie. We spent about 2 months in Rajesthan in 1993. I went back on business for a few weeks last October. As soon as I stepped out of the plane ”wow…the smell of India…wonderful”. I've been to so many countries and not one has left as big an impression on me than India (not all good mind) but that smell is very distinctive (in a good way).

We would be in Delhi…although I'd obviously want to trip around. I'll be out there with my company and will get a car and driver as part of the package. The only driving I'll be doing is bunging a tuktuk driver a few roupees to have a late night race with friends…had some very good races in the past .

Singh400, you say treat them as friends not employees…I thought if I did that they would see me as a soft spot white boy and start taking the pee?

I think it would be a wonderful (sometimes frustrating) experience for wifie, 8 year old daughter and me. My daughter will be very sad to leave friends but the experience for her will be incredible (she's travelled more than I had by the time I was 21 )

But can I leave my HC! Geez…only had my £4k plasma 8 months…let alone everything else (360, wii, ps2, skyhd, amp, dvd, hd-dvd) I really don't want to sell them and take a loss.

The company pay to ship everything you own but they won't pay for storage.

I'll have a look at the youtube when I'm home can't access it here.

We are going during the Indian summer this time round, it's going to be hell lol.
You're crazy! I've got a wedding out in Hoshiarpur and we deliberately changed the date to October so that we wouldn't have to deal with 40degree heat!

Should have gone in the Tata Sumo 4x4 :smashin: Smashin cars.
I think you're looking back with rose tinted glasses there lol. All the cars out there are awful but they're built like tanks to withstand the poor roads. Saying that, the main highways in India are hugely improved since the first times I went. Delhi's roads aren't too bad.

The only driving I'll be doing is bunging a tuktuk driver a few roupees to have a late night race with friends…had some very good races in the past
Lol last time I did that with a few cousins, they rolled theirs! The driver still wanted paying too lol

Singh400, you say treat them as friends not employees…I thought if I did that they would see me as a soft spot white boy and start taking the pee?
Depends on your guy really. Won't your company be footing the bill anyway? If not, get friendly with some locals and see if you are being ripped off. If you are, change your driver; there are plenty to choose from!

But can I leave my HC! Geez…only had my £4k plasma 8 months…let alone everything else (360, wii, ps2, skyhd, amp, dvd, hd-dvd) I really don't want to sell them and take a loss.
I know a friendly home for them ;) :rotfl:

BTW, "pind" means village in Punjabi to anyone who doesn't know. We'll fondly refer to our "pind" every time we get nostalgic about India lol

It depends entirely on the driver you hire as Sunil says. Some will try to rip you off. I find it's better to hire someone through word of mouth. I always treat them like friend of the family.

But can I leave my HC! Geez…only had my £4k plasma 8 months…let alone everything else (360, wii, ps2, skyhd, amp, dvd, hd-dvd) I really don’t want to sell them and take a loss.
As your going to be staying in Delhi, I can't say with certain how (if any) dust levels would affect your AV equiment. I don't like Delhi much. It's lost it's "india-ness".

You're crazy! I've got a wedding out in Hoshiarpur and we deliberately changed the date to October so that we wouldn't have to deal with 40degree heat!
Tell that to my Dad, he just came home from work one night and said he had booked ticktets for all of us to go in July. :S :eek: HOOTTTT!!! :eek: I'm not complaining though, we get to see our new coh-tee (house) that we've been building for the last year or so. I'm going to my pind (where I usually go) it's near Kapurthala (Punjab).

I think you're looking back with rose tinted glasses there lol. All the cars out there are awful but they're built like tanks to withstand the poor roads. Saying that, the main highways in India are hugely improved since the first times I went. Delhi's roads aren't too bad.
They aren't that bad. I remember last time I went. I remember thinking man these cars are nice. Shame about the quality of the roads there. Fricking numb arse after 10 mins on the road.

BTW, "pind" means village in Punjabi to anyone who doesn't know. We'll fondly refer to our "pind" every time we get nostalgic about India lol
And 'share' means town/city. Coh-tee is used when referring to newly built/big houses.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom