Anyone live near me with a svs sub

Stanleh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi i was wondering do any of u lads [or ladies] live near Monmouth [Wales] and happen to have a svs sub ? :lease:
I would very much like to hear how one sounds before i order it, mainly so that i can justify it to my mother.
Any svs sub would do, although i am thinking of the pb2 plus.

Stanleh said:
I would very much like to hear how one sounds before i order it, mainly so that i can justify it to my mother.

How understanding is she? :devil:

She lent me the cash to get the denon a1sra from seven oaks when it was 1600 quid ex demo, so fairly understanding.
But i think spending say a grand on a sub i aint heard from the states is pushing it at the min :nono:
My problem is that she suffers from something called menyears [spelling] that effects the ears, and when my sub trys to go too low, for instance at the end of saving private ryan when the tanks roll in. It really seems to hurt her ears, now other sorts of base dont, so i am thinking maybe my small m&k sub cant handle bass that well, so maybe its the distortion that hurts her. Well that will be one of my reasons for having to change the sub !! :laugh:
It doesnt matter what it looks like, because its in my room, just how it sounds.

How big is your room? Although I can assure you that spending £900+ pounds on something from the States that you haven't heard is not crazy, (I did it), a pb2+ might be overkill.
All the svs subs produce great bass with little distortion and you might not need to spend so much!

Its 16foot by 12 foot, and its a semi detached [oh the neighbours r gunno hate me :rotfl: ]
I listen to allot of music, and watch allot of dvds, so it needs to be fast and deep. Allso i heard a m&k mx700 in a audio excellence store, and in episode 1 at the start when obiwan uses his force to nock over the droids, the base seemed to ripple, i really liked that as my m&k dont do it.
I dont like allot of base in my music, some times i hear other peoples and the base just overpowers everything, i like my bass to feel natural and not as though you have a sub.
Thx for the help lads !

Stanleh said:
I dont like allot of base in my music, some times i hear other peoples and the base just overpowers everything, i like my bass to feel natural and not as though you have a sub.

That comes from the Vauxhall Nova school of subwoofer setup which entails

1) turn the bass up full
2) open all windows
3) play crap music very loudly

Most discerning people prefer to listen to music the same way as you do.

There are one or two SVS owners that live near you but if no-one else offers I am just over an hour's drive away from Monmouth but I have a cylinder PC Plus and not the traditionally shaped sub.

I do not live near I'm afraid but from the size of that room and the fact that you are semi detached, mabe a large box sub might be overkill.
Hopefully you can check out some of those svs subs nearby and you will see what these subs can do?

Yes i think a cylinder sub might be a better idea, take up less space too. :smashin:
I dont know much about them though.

I am hoping to have my replacement SVS arrive week commencing 1st August and I am also off work that week (going away on Thursday). It won't be fully calibrated into the system in that week, but it could give you an idea on which is the best way forward for you. I am having the 20-39PCi you are welcome to come and have a listen to mine if you are about in that week. I am closer to you then Ian is, but still a reasonable drive away.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom