Anyone Live in Earlsfield, London?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kingolympics, Feb 25, 2014.

1. kingolympics

kingolympics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'm looking at buying my first property this year. I'm currently based overseas which makes it difficult.

One area I'm looking at is Earlsfield, London but I'm not overly familiar with it.

Does anyone on here live there? Any areas to avoid? Is it a decent place to live?

I'm looking at spending up to £400k but hopefully not that much. Would love a 2 bed but more realistically it'll be 1 bed.

Would appreciate any help!

2. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,213
    I don't live there but worked nearby for a couple of years. I live further south in Carshalton.

It's nice enough, lots of bars and restaurants, a couple of decent-ish pubs. Transport is excellent on the train line into Clapham Junction and onto Waterloo.

It's down the road from Wandsworth town centre, which has a big Cineworld cinema, a Sainsburys and Waitrose, and some other shops and eating/drinking places.

Tooting isn't far and that has some brilliant Indian restaurants plus loads of Asian greengrocers and grocers.

Wimbledon is close too and it has the theatre, bars, restaurants, shops, multiplex Odeon cinema, etc.

Downsides might be there are some largish council estates in and around Earsfield/Wandsworth, traffic can be bad, with associated noise and pollution, and it may be too urban for some people.

If you're into beer there's a great artisan microbrewery place near the greyhound stadium and if you're into football, AFC Wimbledon (the team I support) are looking to move to a new stadium development on the site of the current greyhound stadium.

I hope that helps a bit.

Where is it you're moving from?

3. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    I used to go to a snooker club in Garratt lane back in the late 90's.
    Back then the whole area was a dump. Not sure what it's like now, but was in Tooting a couple of weeks ago and tbh I wouldn't let a dog live there. A complete sh*thole :thumbsdow

4. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,072
    You need to go there. You haven't said if you are familiar with London.
    My Grandparents used to live there 100s of years ago, in a 1850 type house.
    Don't expect much for your money. If you like city living could be for you, but if you are used to suburban or small town living it might not be.
    Public transport is good. If you don't have a car you will save a lot.

5. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,213
    Don't let your prejudices get in the way of your opinion. Don't tell me, the area was too "effnik" for your liking? :(

I would never describe the whole of Earsfield or the whole of Garratt Lane as a dump, that's for sure.

6. kingolympics

kingolympics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm moving from the US back to London. I've lived in London for 6 years previously but only familiar with areas that I either don't want to move to or can't afford to! Believe me I don't expect a lot for my money at all but at this stage in my life, City living is right for me.

Garratt Lane is one of the areas I was looking at. It seems a lot of flats have been sold there over the last few years so I imagine the area is improving.

It would really suit me to buy whilst overseas. I can send family members to go and look at flats for me.

Nabby your replies are very helpful. I have lived near large Council Estates before and didn't find it to be too much of a problem. Are there any roads in particular I should avoid?

Also, anyone know any areas similar to Earlsfield? I chose it because of it's good transportation, quite central but also the properties are reasonably priced, as reasonable as they can be in London!

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,583
    SBT is quite happy to moan about anything, and to base a decision on his prejudiced memory of what somewhere was like 20 years ago would probably be unwise ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,213
    I'd say staying north of Burntwood Lane is a must-do. Around Magdalen Rd is nice, as is Earsfield Rd.

In terms of similarity to Earsfield, there's little choice if you need to get into Waterloo or Clapham Junction. If the tube works for you, then Southfields is nice.

9. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    I grew up in Smallwood road, Tooting. So I know what i'm talking about.
    It wasn't great back then either. Tbh I wouldn't live anywhere in London, too crowded, too much crime and the only "effnik" there as you put it was me ;)

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,583
    The point is, if you haven't been to Earlsfield since the 90's you aren't qualified to comment on how it is now. Areas can go up (and down) in the space of a few years never mind decades.

11. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,213
    So if you wouldn't live anywhere in London, and if you haven't lived in the area for a number of years, what makes you want to comment? Perhaps to show us that large chip on your shoulder marked, "Angry white male"?

12. steveizz

steveizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    My well to do best mate just moved out of Earlsfield to South Balham (Tooting) he made a tidy profit on his smallish 2 bed masionette, sold for over 400k. its very popular now with young professionals who have been priced out of clapham, wandsworth. Its changed a lot over the past 5 years he has lived there. trendy bars, posh steak gaffs, good links into town but I think you might have just missed the Earlsfeild bus. if you are happy for a 1 bed place then go for it, if you are looking for growth and room to expand your best heading a bit further south.

BTW I love south London, I now live out of London but any excuse to head back and I'm there in a shot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    I would strongly recommend you just rent when you get back here and get to know an area before committing. I would never buy a place I hadn't fully researched beforehand.

Welcome back!

14. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,583
    This is the sort of advice he needs :thumbsup:

15. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,213
    Going south/south-west from Earsfield, you're looking at Tooting, Colliers Wood, Raynes Park, Surbiton, etc. I wouldn't look at Mitcham or Morden, so then you're out towards my area. It'd probably be too suburban for you here ;) and then you're out towards Epsom, which is very nice but maybe too far out for you.

In terms of upcoming areas, the only one I'm certain of in terms of capital investment and return in the next few years is Croydon, due to the Westfield Shopping development, which is due to open in 2018 I believe.

If you're not in it for maximum capital growth, you may be best looking at Earlsfield as it seems to fit your requirements very well.

16. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    I have family who have lived in Southfields, Earlsfield and Tooting (Furzedown) over the years, none there right now though - all streets that they lived on were ok, you just have to be quite choosey when it comes to the individual street, the closeness of the public transport weighed up against the activity level of the area (shops, traffic etc.). I wouldn't want to live on one of the main through roads (A & B roads), but most of the side streets would be ok. The west of the area is handier for the District line, the east for the Northern line, if that makes any difference for your commute.

17. kingolympics

kingolympics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Wow, thank you to all those who chipped in with useful information, I really am very grateful. You've really helped me start my planning for moving home! I have the rest of the year to find somewhere and will be back intermittently in London to explore areas.

I am tempted by Croydon but think at this stage in my life I'd rather be a bit closer.

18. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    I have a good friend who lives in Earlsfield. Used to be a bit of a dump 10 years ago or so but is pretty nice now but with that property prices have rocketed. He bought a 3 bedroom town house for around £350k 10 years ago and it's now worth over £800k!!
    Anyway, great commuter links and as others have said nice restaurants and bars and not far from Clapham and Wimbledon which have good bars too.

Only know a few other places near there such as Sutton (where my family live) and Carshalton and they both have their nice parts and not so nice parts. Someone mentioned Epsom - grew up there and it's very nice but maybe a little too far out.

19. PocketBunny

PocketBunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +680
    I lived there until December 2012 and thought it was perfectly fine.

There is now an even bigger sainsburys opposite the shopping centre, which means most things can be got from Wandsworth.

Trains into waterloo are a big plus, and I usually got on the first or second one when waiting in the morning rush hour. Only lived there 4 years, but it seemed nice to me and where in London doesn't have estates.

I now live in Stockwell and that certainly isn't as pleasant.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the council tax is super cheap. The 2 bed maisonette I lived in was only 64 quid a month!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  20. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,583
    Nice avatar PB :)