Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Anyone listened to the Mission FS1AV package?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bellbrie, May 17, 2003.

1. bellbrie

bellbrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

the subject says it all really.

Quite fancy the look of the FS1AV package - i.e. it doesn't take up much room, however, I have just come back from the local hi fi shop where they have a set on display, and the assistant reckons that the sound from them is crap. When I asked why he came up with two reasons:

1. No sweet spot - now Mission are using this as a selling point for these speakers - the fact that there is better coverage from each speaker, and for a set of speakers going in to a lounge where more than one person is likely to be watching/listening, it seems like this is a good point rather than a bad point to me

2. Too much separation in sound between the sub-woofer and the satelites - i.e. the satelites are all treble and the subwoofer all base and as they tend to be situated quite a distance apart it makes the sound, especially music, seem a bit crap.

He did suggest I should go for a Mission M70 package instead....
    ..but these are a bit bigger, bit more expensive and not quite as pretty to look at (got to keep the other half happy too, you know).

So, that was his view and I couldn't get a demo. I was wondering if anyone has heard them and agrees or disagrees with the comments.

Thanks,

b.

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Compared to the bigger speaker they are crap i've had i listen and didn't like them to what i have now.Saying that though you might like them,have a listen.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It seems to me that you should be looking for a new hifi shop as your local one has admitted to you that they sell crap. Whether these speakers are any good or not it is your decision to make and you should find somewhere else where they will let you listen to them so that you can make your own mind up.

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I had a similar-ish experience last week. A friend had arranged to demo Kef eggs and Gallo balls - he doesn't have much space. When we got to the shop, the salesman started immediately rubbishing both of them and saying how much better the B&W VM1 were. We listened to all three, and the salesman didn't change the sub settings between any of them. The VM1 sounded OK and the eggs & balls sounded pretty bad.

Now, I've heard the Gallo's before and they sounded pretty good. This time it sounded like there was no upper bass/lower midrange. I think the salesman had set the sub up for the VM1 (which goes down to about 80Hz) rather than the other two (which only go down to around 120Hz). I asked him about this and his reply was along the lines of "well, if I knew the specs of all the speakers in this shop I'd be on a lot more money". Er...

Anyway, back to the point - why does a shop sell a product if they think it's crap?

5. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Mission FS-MM1 set, which is an earlier NXT model with a sub and 2 satellites, designed primarily for multimedia use, although I have them attached to my portable radio/CD player. I've been impressed by them.

I would say NXT speakers do seem very suited to potential home cinema use because of the fact that sound is spread much more evenly from each speaker, and there is indeed a much wider "sweet spot". For example, with my speakers the sound is even throughout the room, wherever you stand, and you can clearly hear what comes from the other speaker even when you are near the other one. In home cinema use, this quality is useful because you would hear better surround sound from all speakers wherever you sit.

Also, positioning is less of an issue. Mine are in traditionally the worst place for speakers - on the floor right in the corners of the room against the wall - but it makes no difference to the sound!

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The Mission Fs1 is a compromise for 'invisible' home theatre and I think a good one. There's better performing systems but as you say they are not WAF friendly.

The sales bod is spouting tech specs and not listening to what you asked for, find another dealer.

My local branch of Hughes had Mission, Elac and AE sub/sat systems all are small and IMO perform nicely. The main thing with all these sets is that the sub needs to go between the main front satellites for good bass integration.

The fact that the assistant wouldn't demo the FS1's says something about the reliability of his advice. After all you might have liked them.

7. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I jave the FS1's and they are certainly not "crap".

Even the wife likes them.

You are welcome to listen to them.

8. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I am not answering your original question but what is the main difference between these and the FS2 I was thinking about a year ago?

Dave

9. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't use 6 speakers with the FS1's.

It has a better sub woofer although is supposed to be a lesser model.

The FS1s are smaller (and beautiful)

Watch Die anothe Day with them yesterday and even i was impressed.!!!

10. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the FS2 AV package, with the speakers wall mounted in each corner of the room and the centre wall mounted above my plasma. I agree with the positioning points, they are very flexible, and I am impressed with their performance with DVD and Music. They are of course, Sub/Sat, and there is the usual penalty to pay with regard to midrange, but they work well.

Can't see how you could add another speaker though, my FS2 runs an umblical cord from the receiver to the sub and then the speakers are connected from the subwoofer. No position for a 6th channel there...

James

11. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Peter Shilton - you can now go 6.1 with the fs1s quite easily, mission sell additional speakers exactly for this task, approx £40. these are for plugging directly into your amp with adaptors for normal speaker cable.

JamesTapp - the original method of going 6.1/7.1 with the fs2s was with an other pair of fs2 satellites and another sub... very expensive. simpler to use any mission ds series speakers either 1 or 2.., and now the fs1 satellites mentioned above as well.

had a play with the fs1 speakers recently.

I dont think they are as solid as the fs2 satellites... much lighter which can't be good for the limited bass from them.

the wall mounting is built into the fs2s satellite but a push on separate fixing for the fs1s.. only 2 screws instead of 4 as well so I doubt the fs1 speaker is attached to the wall with a really solid contact like before.

the hardwired speaker cable is fairly offensive also in fixed lengths & looks not much better than bell wire. the speaker cable with the fs2 set is much better quality even if its fiddly since you have to cut it yourself, thinner too.

the fs1 sounds similar but I think a properly installed wall mounted) fs2 setup will beat them.

12. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, martin.

However as I have just finished having new coving put up and plaster channelled out and redecorated the whole room so we don't see any wires, I dont think I'll be allowed a 6th speaker!!!

I think I'm going to take the stance "I'm happy with my system."

There; I've said it. Does this mean I can stop picking up brochures and spending hours on here? Am I cured?

13. bellbrie

bellbrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - now you all have got me thinking about the FS2 package instead of the FS1.

So, doing a quick trawl around the web turned up a price of £359.02 (delivered) for the Mission FS2AV package from empiredirect.co.uk.

Now, this seems like an excellent price to me as its about on a par with the FS1 and fro mwhat has been said, the FS2 may have the edge in sound quality.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    b.

14. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pretty sure I saw an ad for Richer Sounds for the fs2 at £299.

dont be put off the fs1s though, well worth a demo.

I'll try the fs1s are centre rears when I get a chance.

15. bellbrie

bellbrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MartinCo. just had a look at the R-S website and no listing for the fs2 :-(

b.

16. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have a flick through what hifi if you're near a shop, or give a store a call.

17. bellbrie

bellbrie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a chat with R-S in Reading - they reckon that the FS2s are now discontinued, so they don't have any and will not be getting any more in.

Anyone else know if they are discontinued or not?

b.

18. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    odd that they were advertising them then this month.:)

Mission never said they were going to discontinue them, but I doubt they are making them anymore, £800 list price dropping to £300 can't be good for profit.

19. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    A review on consumerguide.com says that Mission told them that the FS2s were discontinued -

http://products.consumerguide.com/cp/electronics/review/index.cfm/id/24121

The fact that retail sites have been discounting them also seems to be a good clue.

On a side note, does anyone know what existing owners of these flat panels (Mission & Denon SCAV-F100s) will do if their sub goes belly up in the future & when the system is out of warranty? Can they be used effectively with another model of sub, albeit one with quite a high crossover frequency due to the NXT speaker limitations?

AJP.

20. saint_simon

saint_simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

i have mission wall mounted fs1s and in use with a panasonic saxr10 av receiver and i am well impressed with the sounds and performance of them. They are also very very wife friendly and fit nicely with her desing for our living room. You can get the system for £249 from richers sounds but may be an exclusive deal with what hifi mag, just quote the mag price.

21. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if the sub failed completely and no fs2 models were available, you can use the sub off the fs1 set using adaptors to plug the fs2 satellites' standard speaker cable in. no worries there.

Mission are very good with their support though so I'd expect them to fix any problems or have some spares.

saint_simon, how do you find the wall-mounting of the fs1s?

I thought it looked pretty flimsy with the satellites just resting on the wall mounting by those two push on bits.

on the other hand, £249 is an excellent price for these... hard to find fault at that price.

22. saint_simon

saint_simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wall mounted mine in the 4 corners of the room. What I did was bought some wooden dowling that fitted neatly in the corner from bq and then used no nails to stick them up. Then screwed the stands to the wood and they seem mighty fine. My brother has kef eggs and he was plesently suprised by the compairson.